“Superb (and fun) hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #54 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Southbury, Connecticut
“Superb (and fun) hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

After staying a few nights at the holiday inn express 2 miles away (which was awful by the way, I will write a separate review on that) I decided to switch to the intercontinental as it had rooms available at a good corporate discount. I was very impressed with how modern and classy the hotel was. The room was clean and well appointed. Room service was not crazy expensive like most others. Service was superb from the front desk, to room service, to maids. The "no name" bar was the best part of the stay, the bar tenders (Mario and another guy who's name escapes me) were excellent and the Mojitos are the best I have had in a long time. The health club is nice although it gets crowded in the morning on business days. They may want to consider expanding the size or adding more treadmills. I did not have time to see or use the pool. The restaurant Shula's was unbelievable, it is worth spending the extra $ if you want to have the best steak ever. The hotel is located near many restaurants. You can cross the street (mall) and eat at PF Changs, or any one of many others. If you drive about a mile down the street you can go to the International Plaza where options are near limitless (Blue Martini is a nice place for drinks). I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks on business but I actually managed to have some fun at this hotel, which is a rarity for me.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a view of the interior of the hotel (courtyard). However you can request an outside...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
JGaffney, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Hi Regina,
Thank You for completing a review for our property. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed it so much and will especially pass on your great comments to the team at Shula’s and the bartenders at the No Name Lounge. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
Natchez, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I was quite happy with my stay here. The other hotels in the area were about the same price and this one was much nicer than my other options. The restaurant is pretty expensive for what it is, but the food is good. I wasn't going to spend $80 for a surf and turf at a hotel restaurant. The pool looked nice. It is outside on the 9th floor, but the view is not as cool as you would hope with that set up. It is very convenient in terms of proximity to the airport and all of the other places I needed to go for my trip. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us and for the feedback about our property. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!
Peachtree City, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We got a great discount on this hotel using Hotels.com. The rooms are comfortable and the staff is very nice. The parking is terrible for such a nice hotel. You have to park behind the hotel in a deck that is too dark with very small spaces. Then, no matter what level you park on, you have to take the elevator to the lobby floor and walk through the whole lobby to the elevators leading to the rooms. It's a pretty long walk and annoying after a long day at Busch Gardens. The location is pretty good - there is a nice mall across the street and an even nicer one about three miles up the road. The pool area is beautiful but they allow smoking up the and while I was there some employees were up there smoking - boo.

• Stayed November 2011
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Nice amenities,close to airport, free business center. Across from major shopping mall.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same...
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We only spent one night here but it was a great stay and excellent value. We got a great deal at $87 a night and I would have paid double. The hotel is downtown and connected to an office building which makes for some interesting views. We could also see the bay off to the west. There's a Shula's Steakhouse downstairs and they have a nice little grab-and-go cafe that offers sandwiches, muffins, sodas, smoothies, etc. The room was very nice, clean and smartly appointed with free wi-fi and some of the best-smelling shampoo and conditioner I've ever gotten in a hotel. lol There's an outdoor pool on the 9th floor and a decent fitness center. It's within walking distance of a nice mall with a theater and restaurants. Free parking as well. We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I know this hotel for many years since I attended many meeting there since 1990. It has changed names several times, but now is, i feel, the best. The service is very good, the rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable. Rates are reasonable. There is no real view, so dont expect one. (I agree with the review which mentions the offices being able to look in. This is very true. All the offices right across the indoor courtyard have completely glass windows and can see into the rooms and vice versa.
The west shore mall is right across the street with several excellent Restaurants...PF Changs,
Maggianos, The Palm. There is a food court in the mall. The hotel has a nice bar (no beer on tap), and the well known steak house SHULAs is there. I actually prefer BERNS which is a 7 min cab ride away.

Across the other street is a Starbucks and a Paneras.

Room Tip: I dont know.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I arrived at Tampa airport for the first time in the evening after a long flight from Europe. The courtesy phone at the airport is on the ground floor on the side of an electronic poster for various hotels, between the escalator and the internal flight carousels. I mention this because it was not immediately obvious to me. The shuttle arrived about 15mins after I called and I was given easy instructions as to where to meet. I found check-in very easy and chatted with a friendly muslim receptionist in english and arabic. In the lift going up to my room I met some of the cabin staff from my British Airways flight who also use this hotel. The room was clean, a good size and I thought well equipped. The same applied to the bathroom. There are tea and coffee making facilities using a machine I had not come across before, which I later discovered is typical for American hotels. As others have commented the hotel is part of
an office complex. I was there over thanksgiving, so there was no-one in the offices. (See photo) I don't think it would have bothered me if there had been. There is a thick curtain and if I was working inside the room and needed external light, it would have been like working in any other office. There is the $6 small bottle of water. It is also available in local shops for $2.50. It taste the same as the tap water. Check- out was smooth and easy. I did not experience any difficulty or low speeds when using the internet. The area seems to be mainly modern offices, other hotels and private homes. There is a shopping mall about a 5 minute walk away, but not much else in the immediate vicinity. The only problem I experienced and which would make me hesitate to use this particular hotel again is that my room was about 20 yards from the lifts and I could hear what I presume was the lift machinery whirring away. Fortunately, I was so tired I went straight to sleep, but it is distracting, particularly when people with early flights start leaving the hotel from about five in the morning. I did not experience any noise disturbance from the main road, or other guests. There is a pool on the 9th floor, but I did not use it, just went to see if there were any interesting views. (There aren't.) As in many business hotels in the USA, TV channels are mainly American. In Europe, there would TV channels in various languages for international visitors. There are English news channels from the BBC, France, Germany, Russia, China, Japan and various Arabic stations. A review of the satellite cable package would be a good idea to accommodate some of these. Overall, a very good friendly, quality hotel, spoilt only by the noise of the lifts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away as possible from the lifts.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!