“Did not want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #54 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Did not want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We were stuck in Tampa an extra night because of a flight delay, and thanks to a family member who is an employee of another hotel in the IC hotel group and Ashley at the front desk of this hotel, we were able to get a friends & family rate at the last minute. I am SO glad we ended up here! I loved this hotel. Front desk staff were great and efficient at check in. Rooms were very clean and decorated nicely and in a Florida-y/beach-y theme. The beds were super comfortable with nice linens and the bathrooms were spacious. Water pressure from the shower was great!

We took the shuttle service to and from the airport and it was extremely efficient and drivers were both very pleasant.

Wish we could have stayed another night, but when I go back to Tampa, I will definitely look at staying at the Intercontinental Tampa again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Polish first
Ellicott City MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Our room had bedbugs. I booked this hotel because of all the reviews about bedbugs in other hotels. Because of the quality of the hotel when my husband developed bites on his arm and I hadn't been bitten I didn't even think there was a chance that the room had bedbugs, maybe an alergy or a bite from something outside. By the time we arrived home he had 50+ bites on his body and major welts around each bite. If you've seen pictures from bedbugs on the net --- his was just as bad. We immediately started looking into the bites and he indeed was bitten by bed bugs. Some people are more allergic than others so his bites were obvious. I called the hotel and they asked if I was sure, questioning us and told me someone was currently in that room. Boy I pitty that guest. It sounded like because they hadn't complained yet, oh well.

We are now in the process of making sure we didn't bring them home. Because we weren't sure until we got home, the process takes a lot of work. We are currently working with a Pest Management company.

You would think that the housekeeping service would have uncovered the bugs before my husband was eaten alive. I am also responsible because I should have torn the place apart looking for some bug when the bites were noticed - just to confirm.

Be careful of hotels in Florida, I'm finding not just the cheap hotels have bedbugs - the nice ones do too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

First, they messed up my reservation. Then they acted as if they were doing me favor by giving me a room. I asked for a view of the water and they said "Sure," and gave me a view of the inner atrium. I am evan a Premier Member and that helped little. Finally, the internet in my room worked sporadically, at best. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
chambersburg, pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

The bathroom was dirty when we checked in, trash was full, used towels still left up, stuff still in the toilet. I addressed it with the staff and they sent housekeeping up and she took the used towel, took out the trash, came back in with a toilet brush and cleaned and flushed the toilet.
The location of our room or the door seal made it so that everytime someone else opened and closed their door it sounded like ours was being slammed. Not very easy to sleep through the night listening to that.
The rooms smell like the stuff you sprinkle on the carpet and vaccum up. It was moldy and didn't seem to have much air flow. There was also a rolled piece of paper with white stuff on it, definitely drug paraphenalia in the nightstand. This is extrememly disgusting, and you can tell that the rooms are not entirely clean.
The staff tried to be nice and smile but I dont think they care about family travelers and are more geared toward business personnel. The internet was FREE which means it was terrible here. You had to move around the room just to try to get a signal. Who wants to be on vacation and try to get on the internet later in the day and you can't or get so frustrated you simply give up. The rooms are located inside an office building, so the only view you are going to get is looking into other people's offices who are working. This was not like the Intercontinental in Baltimore, MD that we usually stay in. In fact I thought that it would of been nicer.
The one good thing is that the parking is free, that is if you can find any. And if you stay through the week, good luck making it to your car in the parking garage without almost getting hit by all the workers who apparently are speeding to work.
Staying there a week we wanted to do some laundry and the only laundry they have is the real expensive service you have to send out, it's like 3.50 for socks and 6.00 for shirts to be washed. Who pays for that? No laundry facilities that you do on your own.
When we checked out we were pretty much rushed and the staff did not ask us how our stay was. I planned to express my dissatisfaction but they just hurried us along. I will not be returning to this hotel on our next trip down for Spring Training.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I booked this hotel with a sweet deal from priceline, had bid $56.00 per night for a 4 star downtown, priceline countered with a $69.00 book now offer and I grabbed it. Normal rates were $209 per night. I was pleased to get this hotel as the winner.
Arrived on Thursday evening 2/17 for 2 nights, called for the free hotel shuttle from Tampa airport and was very impressed by the property, well maintained, pleasant check in and a very clean and comfortable room with 2 beds on the 6th floor. The surrounding area has everything you need within a 5 minute walk...Starbucks, Walgreen's, McDonalds, Panera Bread, Liquor store, restaurants...very much a plus as we were staying 2 nights before a cruise and needed to buy a few things prior to sailing. Onsite there is a Shula's steakhouse and hotel bar, an espresso cafe and a cigar shop that sells cigars that are hand made by the owner..I had a couple of these and they were excellent for the price.
The staff were all very polite and helpful...the rooftop pool is wonderful..nice place to sip on a cocktail with supplies purchased at the nearby liquor store and enjoy the view of Tampa Bay ..
I am amazed at some of the negative reviews posted here...I read them prior to the trip and had some hesitation but I can honestly say that they should be disregarded..some people are just way too picky and need a reality check. I read one reviewer who complained that they had to walk across the street to Starbucks and their coffee got cold on the way back...are they serious???
This is one of my new favorite hotels and I will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
atlanta, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed 3 days/nights at this hotel. We booked through PL and got a good rate. The hotel was packed the first day and we didn't get a double bed but the hotel gave us a rolling bed. The bed and our luggage was in our room even before we got to it. They moved us to a different room later. Both rooms were clean and ready when we got them. The service throughout the stay was excellent. There is no "view" to talk about since the hotel is in a structure that is part of an office building but the location is very central if you are looking to do things in Tampa - near the stadiums, zoo, aquarium and busch. Many eating options very close to the hotel and a mall right in front. Beaches are 25+min drive... not too bad really. Parking and wi-fi are both free. Only knock is the swimming pool. It is at the top and given the time of the year you could be baking or freezing. Overall, this hotel deserves the high rating it gets.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed here for my boyfriend's birthday. The rooms are a bit small (not much walking room) but overall clean. There was this weird musty smell in the sheets and pillows. Bathroom is very nice and clean.
The elevators are really cool!
The location is great because it's basically near everything. About 10 min away from Ybor (where all the bars are) and is surrounded by convenient stores such as a 24 hour walgreens and a starbucks across the street.
The walls are pretty thin. We had a group of teens in the room next to us and we could hear it when they spoke. We called guest services though, and they took care of it.

Overall, a good place. Seems very businessy though.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!