“Super ripoff for the Superbowl” 1 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #45 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
houston
“Super ripoff for the Superbowl”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

700 a night, thats right, these crooks reamed me for 700 a night for 3 nights when me and the wife went to see the game. For that 2100 dollars, they never cleaned the room, not once, no new towels, no sheets, no washcloths, no soap, nothing. They said they were sorry we were disappointed as they always try to take care of their guests blah blah blah. if they cared so much they'd clean the room. they took advantage. they ripped off the guests and made a little killing. Way to go Hyatt, that was the last hotel i ever planned to stay at anyway. right?. Hyatt is really going downhill. What happened?

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I want to start off by saying that my review is completely honest and I am not one of those people who will write a bad review because of one negative thing. I use tripadvisor for researching every hotel I stay in.
My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night prior to going on a carnival Cruise.

HOTEL LOCATION:
Within a couple miles of the airport. Hotel has a free shuttle to pick you up. The hotel is right across the road (1mile) from a very nice mall and nice restaurants. The shuttle will also take you to and from the mall.

HOTEL:
I've stayed in many hotels before but none were as nice as this one. Everything from the lobby to the rooms were extremely nice and had a modern look to it. The hotel has a pool which is just a normal pool (nothing special). It also has a bar (very expensive drinks), free internet and free breakfast.

HOTEL ROOM:
Nicest hotel room I've ever been in. Its practically the size of a small apt. The room was divided into 3 diff areas. One area had a L-shaped sectional for seating. Another area had a sink, frig and desk. The other area had the bedroom, another sink and the bathroom. The tv in the hotel room was a 50 in plasma. It also had two phone, one land line and one cordless. The room had a very sleek modern design to it. EXTREMELY NICE. Bed was very big and comfortable as well.

CHECK IN/OUT:
Very easy and simple. Each took less than 5 minutes. Nothing else to say about that.

HOTEL STAFF:
All were extremely nice and helpful. That is hard to find.

MALL BY HOTEL:
The mall next to the hotel had everything from stores inside the mall and outside. It had most major store and then some. There was a food court in the mall and many nice restuarants connected to the mall as well. VERY SAFE LOCATION.

MISC:
I am always worried about being safe and doing things in a safe location. The hotel and mall seemed to be in a very safe location. I reccomend this hotel to anyone and I will defintely stay again if I visit tampa airport.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

When we lived in Tampa in the mid-90s this was an AmeriSuites. Hyatt renovated and re-branded it in to a very nice property. The fountain and landscaping out front gives it a high-end flavor when you pull up. The lobby area is modern and check in/out was quick. The room (suite) was spacious and included a 40"+ flat panel HD tv (I've seen flat panels in hotel rooms before but this was my first time personally having HD service in a hotel room). The beds were comfy and the HVAC unit worked well. The work area was great, Internet connectivity went without a hitch. Soap/shampoo was remarkably luxurious. Plenty of parking outside. The free breakfast was outstanding - lots to choose from to keep everyone happy.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

The hotel facilities are good. Room is good, they have a fitness center, free continental breakfast (no meats or warm food though, you have to pay extra for that), good location. Everything was ok, until you decide to warm up left overs or try to have some hot tea in your room in the evening. They deliberately do not have a microwave in the lobby or anywhere where guests can access it supposedly so that you may buy from the hotel. This in theory is ok, but for a hotel that does not have a restaurant, or a full kitchen, it seems ridiculous to deprive guests of a microwave and then offer alternatives that are generally cold (sandwiches, salads, deserts, cookies, etc).

My recommendation: If you don't need to have access to a microwave during your stay (a short stay perhaps), then its a great choice. If you have a longer stay and need options and flexibility to warm things as you need to, do not book this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Overpriced, dissapointing service but great rooms and great hotel.
I thought being an airport hotel they would offer a free shuttle 24hrs. That was not the case. The free shuttle is not available after 12 midnight. That was dissapointing. We had to take a taxi from the airport which cost us $10 so the hotel isn't far from the airport. Anyway I arrive nearly1am with my wife and two kids. I give the receptionist my hotwire reservation and this guy is taking forever to check us in. I gave the id, the credit card, the reservation and he was doing a thousand and one things looking at his screen, pressing this button and the other and doing the same thing over and over again. He did not say anything except he kept on pressing those buttons and never took his eyes off the screen. I thought: “Come on dude. It's so late, you have my credit card, my id, my reservation and if there is a problem surely we can fix it in the morning.” Finally he gave us the keys without any explanation or apologies for taking such a long time to check us in. Anyway, we arrive to the room and the room was totally great: huge new plasma tv, two big beds, everything was clean, the room had a separate living room with nice couches.
Breakfast was not bad and yet it wasn't anything special. However, the breakfast was included in the price. Breakfast consisted of only cold items. You need to pay extra for a hot breakfast. A nice touch was the free internet in the business center which consisted of two computers that were easily accessible in the main foyer.
I was dissapointed when I returned the next afternoon and the room wasn't cleaned at all. Nothing was cleaned and was left the same as when we left. This was annoying especially considering the price this hotel charges. Althought the hotel was very decent and the rooms were great I don't think I would pay the full price to stay at this hotel.

• Liked — the rooms were great
  • Disliked — the rooms were not cleaned (no room service)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

My wife and I stayed here overnight 11/3/08 before an early morning flight the next day out of Tampa Airport. The airport shuttle to the hotel from the airport was fast and convenient to use. Check-in was either through a front desk person or through a modern electronic kiosk. This hotel is as if Ikea was designing a Hampton Inn- no fuss with modern decoration. Our room was fine, it was sized a little larger than average, and decorated in a modern style. The bathroom was fine, nothing spectacular. The center of the room had a nice large flat screen TV that swiveled so that you could watch it from the bed or the couch. Next to the TV was a center with many outlets so you could charge up all your electronic gadgets, which was handy. The shuttle to the airport doesn't run early in the morning, and we had a 6 am flight. However, the front desk person took our information for a taxi the night before, and called us 5 mins ahead of schedule that the taxi was downstairs ready for us, working out perfectly. I wouldn't describe the hotel as "luxurious" but it was comfortable and perfect for our needs, and a great value for the rate we got compared to neighboring airport hotels.

• Liked — airport proximity, TV, price
  • Stayed November 2008
Winchester, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

We stayed here one night as a couple of us had an early flight in the morning. The airport shuttle was efficient and the free breakfast had a nice variety of items and coffee. The room was clean, but was lacking a guide to that hotel and area. Also our toilet ran all night long. I had to sleep on the fold out bed from the couch and I must say I woke with a stiff neck. I also thought it was unusual that there was no microwave. I'd stay here again, but would try and find a hotwire/priceline rate.

• Liked — Nice breakfast
  • Disliked — Running toilet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore? Share your experiences!