“Pleased with stay.” 4 of 5 stars

You added La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4730 Spruce Street, Tampa, FL 33607   |
Ranked #63 of 159 Hotels in Tampa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

In Tampa for a convention, downtown hotels were all over $150 per night, La Quinta a third of that. What do you give up? Need transportation to downtown. Bus (20 - 30 minutes) every half hour one block from Hotel ($2 each way - $4 for unlimited daily trips).

Hotel is well kept, rooms clean, beds comfortable and staff very friendly. A morning breakfast, fruit, yogurt, coffee, orange juice, cereal, is ok, but not spectacular. But it's right next door to an IHOP, so if you want a better breakfast that's available. A short walk away is a shopping mall with just about everything you might want. In room WiFi free, but a little spotty at times.

All in all, a decent affordable hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The place is OK to look at and seems to have some good amenities (I did not take advantage of them all). However, the staff leave something to be desired. They don't seem to be able to fulfill simple requests (towels, garbage bin, booking confirmation). I've had them promise several times to call me back in my room when my issue was resolved, yet they hardly ever did. The night guy was the worst in this regard; very unreliable.

To me, customer service is very important in the hospitality business, and the staff here fall woefully short.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Cheney, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Nice, quiet and clean!! Staff was very friendly. We didn't have a reservation and they had room left. We were lucky because it was definitely in our price range for being that close to the airport and the front desk girls gave us great directions. We felt lucky and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We needed somewhere economical and close to the airport. This hotel is both.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I was looking for an inexpensive hotel with free breakfast and close to the Tampa airport for 1 night after a trip to Disney World. After reading reviews, it seemed like this La Quinta fit the bill.

POSITIVES:

Very close to airport. Less than 5 minutes away.

There's a mall close by as well as a city park with a small beach (Cypress Point Park). Because the hotel was so close to the airport, I was actually able to take the kids to the park and let them wander around the beach for a bit before our flight.

IHOP restaurant right next door. This was very convenient and you'll see why in the negatives below.

Dirt cheap price.

NEGATIVES:

The free breakfast is terrible. All they had were some breads and hard boiled eggs. I was very disappointed and just ended up taking the family to IHOP.

The hotel looks and feels old. The bathroom is tiny and the door wouldn't close all the way. The bathtub and toilet just looked really old and so looked kinda dirty. Even my 5 year old asked "Why is the toilet brown?"

I'd only recommend this hotel if you're looking for the cheapest price and absolutely close to the airport. For me, the money saved wasn't worth the angry glares and snide remarks I got from the wife during our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manteno, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I can not complain as I had free nights from a credit card. This is not the type of hotel I typically stay in so I should not be too rough on it. It IS very close to the airport and you get alot of airplane noise. It is next to an IHOP so get a room away from that as it can get rowdy and loud at night. It is very old, but has some renovations. Bathroom is very old and worn. Beds were newer. It did not feel dirty, but not a real clean feel. Based on what you pay I bet it is good budget hotel. Had a nice small pool in the middle.
Girls at the front desk were not very helpful, but Jonathon knew what he was doing. If you have any problems see him. My first room smelled horrible. He explained someone had smoked in it and the cleaning supplies take time to air out. The second room was just fine. Internet worked well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Wanted to stay near the airport after a long day flying from Scotland via Newark. Picked La Quinta because it seemed to have the essentials - shuttle from airport, breakfast, internet access.
Unfortunately the shuttle took ages to arrive - not totally La Quinta's fault as the information desk initially told us just to wait for shuttle, it was only when I went back in 30 minutes later that a different person said that I had to phone for the shuttle to pick me up. Even after she phoned it was then another 30 minutes before it turned up. Later transpired that it only picks up once an hour so you are faced with a long wait if you have just missed it.
Room was adequate - not modern but clean and had all the essentials although couldn't get internet to work.
Hotel next door to IHop so we were able to get something to eat before falling asleep.
Planes started flying again at 5am and proximity of hotel to runway meant that we heard these although this is as expected at airport hotel.
Breakfast the next morning was chaotic - not nearly enough room for the number of guests, everything packaged and plastic, ran out of coffee.Most guests clearly just having one night stopover as can't imagine that anyone would choose to stay for longer.
Asked at desk about internet access and was told that problem must be with my computer - they had a computer at the reception area so I just used this to check emails while we waited for shuttle to take us back to airport for car hire.
Would I stay again? It was around £50(US$75) for one night so we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Upper floor farthest from road will be quietest
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport? Share your experiences!