“OK BUT NOT MUCH ELSE” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“OK BUT NOT MUCH ELSE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in february 2012 on a golfing trip with friends. The bed was comfortable, the breakfast palatable but nothing great and the location was suitable. Also the price was reasonable as compared to Courtyard Marriot where I had stayed previously, in the downtown section. Not a hotel I would recommend strongly but at the same time I had no real complaints either!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Mortlake, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The place was ok. Nothing special and the staff were much the same. The staff were more interested in each other than their guests and although they weren't rude they weren't welcoming either.
Everything about this place was low energy and met our needs.
Not as comfortable as the other La Quintas we've stayed at.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Enjoyed the stay in the clean room. It is a pleasure to travel with a pet and stay at LQ. No hassle about pets at LQ and no pet fees. You do need to get up in AM and not sleep late or miss Breakfast. Great employees helpful and HAPPY.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We arrived in Tampa airport at around 10pm and had booked this hotel in advance due to the proximity to the airport and the ease of finding it in the dark after we had picked up our rental car. We arrived after 5 minutes and received a lovely welcome from the lady in reception who had all our paperwork ready for us. The room was spacious and clean and quiet despite being so close to the airport. Breakfast was very good with a nice choice of items including yogurt and muffins. We would definitely stay again if we go back to Tampa. There was also a TJ Maxx and Walmart nearby.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I would stay again, the staff was very helpful . I didn't like the pickup at the seaport. I was under the understanding we would be picked up at the door,not across the street at the parking garage. It was difficut to handle the luggage that far. We paid for a taxi cab.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have stayed at La Quinta many times when flying out of state. We leave our car and
stay at the motel when we return from our trip. It works perfectly. La Quinta does a
great job with shuttles to the airport and we have never had a problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked 6 rooms for friends who were flying in on Sat. for a Sun. cruise out of Tampa. We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel with complimentary shuttle service from the airport. My experiences with LaQuinta have been positive, so I felt comfortable everyone would be satisfied with the accommodations. Price was very reasonable and included a nice brunch. For those who wanted a "serious" breakfast, IHOP is next door. Further, the International Mall is across the street and was terrific for those needing last minute purchases or dinner Sat. night.

Positives: staff is extremely pleasant and helpful; rooms had recently been renovated and were quite nice. I really appreciated the coffee in the room, as I thought I'd have to go to the main building for coffee and snacks. Bedding, towels, and tolietries were first rate. Pool looked inviting, although I arrived too late to take a swim. Parking lot was full, as was the hotel, but as opposed to reviews I saw when I booked, there was no noticeable noise.

Negatives: We booked the complimentary shuttle service to pick us up (3 different flight arrival times), as well as shuttle service to the cruise port ($10 p/p). Later found out LaQuinta does not own the shuttle. It took an average of 60 minutes for my group to be picked up from the airport. There is no kiosk in the airport for calling for the shuttle, so have LaQuinta's phone number ready. They will tell you to stand in a specific spot, but the shuttle goes to another spot. We were told the shuttle was handicap accessible, but it wasn't. That was a mess. We had also booked the shuttle for transfers to the ship, but the shuttle company was totally unorganized regarding departure times from the hotel. As a result, I was frantically looking for all in my group to advise them that the departure time had been changed. My friends who required assistance took a cab, which turned out to be about the same price as the shuttle. LaQuinta would do well to have their own shuttle service, as this was a real negative.

One other issue I had with LaQuinta was that they contacted me the morning of departure and advised that the ADA room (I had booked 7 months earlier) was overbooked. I was livid. To their credit, they had an acceptable room ready by the time we arrived that evening. Had they not contacted me that morning, I would have been furious, as it was late, we had guaranteed the rooms, the shuttle was a disaster, and this would have put me over the edge. So I give them points for 1) contacting me in advance and 2) getting it worked out.

Overall, this property is a very good value, well located, clean, nice amenities, great staff. Just understand the shuttle may take a while and has its limits.

Room Tip: I enjoyed having my ground floor room facing the pool area.