“Employees make this hotel...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 West Cypress Street, Tampa, FL 33607   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2x HHonors Points
Ranked #71 of 159 hotels in Tampa
New York City, New York
“Employees make this hotel...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

As a Diamond Hhonors member with Hilton as well as obtaining the highest level with other major hotel chains, I do a lot of traveling. I would like to take my hat off to the employees at this hotel. It is great to see employees that enjoy their work environment and that has to be an extension of the management at this hotel.

I was checked in by Holly who was pregnant, on her feet, and providing me with excellent service with my early check-in. She did apologize 100 times that there were not any rooms available on the honor club floor and placed me in the best and quietest room that was available. Holly also extended to me the courtesy of changing my room when a better room comes available.

I would have to say that to my ignorance, I thought all DoubleTree hotels were either all suite hotels or had an ample amount of suites. This is the first location that did lack suites. I stayed in a room on the first floor by the pool. I believe this hotel is due for a renovation but if not then it is in badly need of a renovation. The room that I stayed in was small or smaller than what I am accustomed to with major hotels. I did have an issue with the shower not draining properly which left dirt in the tub. I was only at this hotel for one night so I waited until I checked out to notify the front desk.

The restaurant staff was wonderful. I had Jenny wait on me and she was visible at all times providing constant service with a smile. The omelet chef Noel was also a delight. Noel was able to multitask by creating short conversations with guests while he was preparing their omelets. The part that I enjoyed seeing the most about Noel is his care about his work area. When there were not guests waiting for omelets, Noel went around and held the lids of serving stations open for guests. Excellent service!

When I checked out and notified the front desk of the issue with the room, Maritza immediately notified engineering. The three front desk members, Maritza, Lisa, and Deborah all tended to me to make sure that my concern was addressed and I enjoyed seeing them working together like a choir to make sure that I left the hotel happy.

After I checked out, I realized that I left a shirt in the closet. I then contacted Maritza at the front desk and she immediately notified housekeeping and sent one person from the front desk to check the room. I did receive a return call from Ms. Joseph who advised that she was in possession of the shirt. Maritza did take it upon herself to secure the shirt for me and it was waiting for me at the front desk when I retrieved it two days later.

The only issue that I ran into was with one shuttle driver who did not effect the way that I viewed the hotel as a whole. Unfortunately, this driver does understand customer service and working intelligently. The shuttles were running late and there were guests that were frustrated. When the driver arrived, he was the least bit attentive to the guests that were waiting for transportation. Unfortunately, he was not able to multitask. He was dropping off an airline crew from the airport when I approached the shuttle with my bags to be loaded onto the shuttle. The driver removed the bags of the crew and closed the door advising me that I would need to wait until he check in the crew. Unless it is against policy which it probably is not, the driver should have placed my bags on the shuttle and then proceeded inside with the crew to see if someone at the front desk could provide assistance in checking in the airline crew members. The driver was already over 20 minutes behind schedule so that would have been the way to work intelligently. I returned inside the hotel where I sought air conditioning from the Florida heat where I waited with one other guest for the driver to complete the check in of the airline crew. During the service from this one driver, he was extremely flustered and frustrated during our shuttle service run. Even though he was waiting for one, I know that there is no way that he was expecting a tip after providing terrible customer service.

As you can see, excellence in customer service is a priority at this hotel with the main hotel staff. This hotel is on my list to return to and experience the rooms on the club floor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

902 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Overall a god experience. The rooms could use some adjustments as mine seemed like there were items that needed fixing.
The service was exceptional. Korel Mola at the front desk could not have been more hospitable. He was genuine and friendly as well as informative.
The staff in the sports bar and restaurant were very friendly and appropriately attentive.
Breakfast was an amazing assortment of options.
Great hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here to catch an early flight from the airport nearby. The room was updated, nice, spacious and clean. However, the bed was not attached to the wall and moved horribly when my husband turned over. There seemed to be no sound insulation between rooms, so we had to listen to someone's tv all night, and then listen to the drunk people coming back at 2am opening and closing their doors multiple times. Another note to be aware of, the parking garage does not have an elevator so be sure to unload your luggage downstairs before parking. The shuttle was on time to the airport the next day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel was our first introduction to the US. By all accounts, it was a great 1st experience. Staff were very friendly and could not do enough or you. It turned out his Hotel was even pet friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cayman Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel between 22nd - 30th August. We were there for our anniversary. We were with our two young children aged 3 and 4. My 4 year old turned 5 on the same day as our anniversary. The hotel arranged champagne for us and lots of goodies for my little man. It was extremely thoughtful.

All the staff were amazing and made us feel extremely welcome and "at home". In particular, I would like to give special thanks to Robert Vrablic. He was amazing. We had a few minor things to moan about, but he was very accommodating and ensured the problems were dealt with promptly.

The hotel breakfast was amazing too, and as an added bonus it was free for the duration of our stay (it isn't usually). The staff of this hotel really went out of their way to make sure we had the best anniversary/birthday vacation possible.

The hotel as a whole is nice, but a little dated and could do with a paint job in the rooms, and the pool could do with some treatment for the black mould spots. Only other problem was wifi in our room - it kept cancelling out. I'm confident the hotel were trying to deal with it (after we informed them), but of course this is a specialist area, so it may have been something that wasn't able to be corrected/fixed whilst we were staying there.

The only real downside to this hotel was the housekeeping. However, I would recommend if you have any problems with housekeeping to report it immediately, and I am confident it will be dealt with promptly. I didn't moan until the 2nd from last day of our vacation!

Overall, I would most definitely recommend this hotel and will stay there next time we are in Tampa - its decent value for money and a fabulous location - and there is a shuttle bus to the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Spring Hill, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Staff at this DoubleTree are absolutely the nicest! They go out of their way to make you feel welcome! They're the best hotel staff ever!!

The suites are nice, the swimming pool and atrium are nice, and the breakfast buffet is tops! So is the manager's reception every evening.

Plus you can get some really good rates there -- especially AAA.

Check it out!

Room Tip: Overlooking the atrium and pool is best -- but not too low otherwise you'll get noise from kids...