“Stayed here before a cruise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 West Cypress Street, Tampa, FL 33607   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2x HHonors Points
Ranked #72 of 159 hotels in Tampa
waltham, ma
“Stayed here before a cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here back in October 2012 when hurricane Sandy came and we needed to get a flight a couple days before our cruise since they were starting to cancel flights! We were on a 6:00am flight and got to the DoubleTree at around 9:30 and they were so sweet and let us check in. The first room we went to had a view of the pool but smelt really musty and gross. We asked for a different room and were given a room that didn't have a view but was definately rennovated and was nice. They had a shuttle service that picked us at the airport, you just have to call when you land. The shuttle will also take you to the mall and the gentleman we had was great and gave us his number to call whenever we were ready to be picked up. Also, don't forget to ask for fresh baked chocolate chip cookies! They are the best :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

868 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for spring training baseball. Used points. Breakfast bar was great. I got it for free as a Diamond member. It is not free otherwise. Great location for ball park and airport. Room was nice and quiet. Would stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DC Metro Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here on business because it was the company hotel of choice. Hotel is spread out quite a bit so you may have a bit of a haul to get to your room. The room itself was fine - no complaints there other than that the towels seemed a bit dingy.

The pool area was kind of cramped and both it and the hot tub were not hot enough if the weather is chilly.

The location is horrible unless you have a car or are only staying one night. The ItaliAsia restaurant was expensive and the pizza was just plain bad - overloaded with spices and a crust which was as hard as a hockey puck.

There is a steak restaurant next door which is only open for dinner. There are no fast-food, coffee shops or inexpensive eateries within short walking distance. There is the International mall which is about a half-hour walk at a fairly fast pace (which goes by two strip clubs) and another at about a 20 minute walk the other direction which has a movie theater and more reasonably-priced restaurants and shops. (Just DON'T eat at The Palm!)

The shuttle to the airport was convenient but be aware it only runs every half hour - and plan accordingly. They do have another shuttle which will take you within a two mile radius of the hotel, so if you want to get a ride to the malls, they will do that. But you may have to wait awhile.

The restaurants on-site are mediocre and overpriced for the area. Try to avoid. Breakfast buffet was OK but it will set you back $15 minus tip.

This is not a good hotel for those who are on a budget and can avoid it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Christian S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
We value your feedback and appreciate your company's business. Thank you for sharing your concerns about our amenity costs. We'll be sure to share this with appropriate members of our team for review. We would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how we can make your next stay with us more enjoyable. Please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerely
Christian Salazar
813-998-2210
ORANGE PARK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a hotel that is best for business. I would not call it family friendly. We stayed in a standard King room. The room was not worth the rate. The bathroom was tiny. There was no refrigerator or microwave. If you fly in and don't have a car, your restaurant choices are not good. The on site sports bar is your best choice. While you might not care to be in a bar, the food choices and prices are better than the on site "fancy" restaurant. The breakfast is overpriced and limited. The "fancy" restaurant is way over priced and has a limited menu. Sometimes simple and casual is better. I do recommend Charleys Steakhouse which is right next door. It is pricey and worth it. It is also the only restaurant within walking distance. The meeting facilities are suitable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay and dining experience with us. We appreciate your time and input on our selection and value and we hope you will return to stay with us and see how we have improved the next time you are in the area.

Christian Salazar
Berea, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Double Tree, I have traveled alot and I will definitely book with a Double Tree again. I also enjoy having free shuttle from the airport. I dont know what people expect when traveling but other than home this would be the next best thing for staying at a airport hotel. It has everything you need and the breakfast buffet was wonderful, a little pricey but I'm glad I did.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

that's right...i dare you to find your room in this labrynth of The Shining-feel hallways...you follow the room number signs on the walls that always seem to go in a circuitous path, leading you through dingy portals to your flat pop-corn-walled room...not just the halls are dark, but the room only had a light on the end table (only one of two bulbs worked) and another light on the desk. The folks were nice enough...the place just seems worn and dark...not at all in keeping with the sunshine state.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Let me start by saying that I practically live in hotels...not by choice, really, but that's the life of a professional traveler. After more years than I care to admit I've come to know hotels pretty well. Sadly, I've gotten to know this one pretty well. Unfortunately, I have no choice when my employer is booking and paying for the hotel. I'd never spend my own money to stay at this hotel! Descriptive words for the rooms: worn, poorly maintained, under-equipped and outfitted, poorly lit, dated decor. Compared to to other Doubletree hotels, it is a huge disappointment. I'm very confused about what the management team does in this hotel. I think they would benefit by spending a few nights in some of their own rooms. I've stayed there 4 or 5 times now and have had consistently poor experiences. I've had 2 different rooms that were lit by only 2 60-watt bulbs. Getting some work done after the sun goes down in those rooms is impossible. I've had a room in which the balcony door lock was broken. Glad I didn't have a child with me! I had a room in which the sole luggage rack was literally falling apart; it was apparently left that way knowingly by some maid who was obviously not well trained or supervised; lucky I didn't break a bone when the thing collapsed after putting a suitcase on it. I've had rooms where there was literally nowhere to plug in my phone, computer, or other personal device...sure, the lamp next to the bed had an extra electrical outlet built into it, but the alarm clock was plugged into it (and couldn't be moved since it was permanently attached to the desk), so I had to choose between having an operational clock or charging my stuff. Naturally that was one of the rooms where the desk lamp had no extra outlet and every single wall outlet was either inaccessible or already stuffed with plugs. Although the air conditioning works well, it's loud and clunks on and off all night long. I'm not a lawyer but if I were I'd have a field day with the coffee maker setup...does the management team not see the possibility of danger (especially to children) when it's set up on a wobbly, top-heavy, metal and granite demi-lune table? And there is just something bothersome about the early 90's blonde furniture, peach-colored walls, and blaring floral fabrics. Most frequent travelers want restful decoration, not a tropical treehouse nightmare! Add to it the stained carpet I've had in EVERY room and it becomes obvious that this hotel needs some serious revamping. And guests at this hotel shouldn't expect anything remotely luxurious, like extra pillows or generous bathroom counters or a real closet to conceal your clutter, or extra towels...(you'll get two towels if you get the rooms I was given). The sports bar is okay but the music is excrutiatingly loud and the menu is boring and unimaginative. The hotel and bar staff are very nice (the one bright spot about staying there). Although convenient to the airport, there's not a lot to do around the hotel unless you have wheels. So, if you expect more than mediocrity from your accommodations, I'd skip this hotel.

Room Tip: I would be happy to add a tip but so far I haven't had a room I can say was better than average...