“A stop over kind of place - must (be) have been a conference venue” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 West Cypress Street, Tampa, FL 33607   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2x HHonors Points
Ranked #70 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Burnham Market, United Kingdom
“A stop over kind of place - must (be) have been a conference venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Looks ok from the outside . In an area not too far from the airport and close to all the opposition as you might Warm welcome and obviously revamped lobby etc. If you want to lose the kids this is the place! Marvellous too if you are fan of mazes and rabbit warrens. The person who designed the inside of this place ... The corridors and the room numbering ...must have won awards! On a positive note one of the better buffet breakfast I've had in ages! The business package was incredibly cheap

• Stayed November 2012

851 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We arrived just after noon for our one night stay on November 24, 2012, and were greeted by Debra, a very friendly and welcoming front desk staff member. I told her that I tried to check in on the Hilton website, with which I’ve had many problems. It is not user friendly. The precheck said that we had been assigned a room on the 5th floor but had 4 others to choose from; one of which was on the 10th floor before the site blocked any further action concerning check in. Debra said the 10th floor would be the choice during the week when the Executive Lounge was open but not on the weekend. I asked if there were any suites, and she found us one: Room 359. The room was on the east end of the property and faced the shared parking lot with Charley’s steakhouse. We had originally chosen the nearby Embassy Suites but changed to the Doubletree when I discovered that the local ND Alumni Club was having its football watch at Player’s in the lobby at this hotel. We received a coupon for our breakfast plus one each for a beer, wine, or well drink at Player’s because of our Hilton Gold status. They also brought us two complimentary bottles of water about an hour after we arrived as well. Gold Status is nice to have, and it was recognized and we were made to feel extra special at this location by all! Thanks...
Room 359 was a King Bed, Junior Suite with sofa bed. There were 2-42 inch tvs, both mounted high in a corner for great viewing from anywhere in the given room. The bedroom area had the king sized bed, 2 end tables, a desk, a bureau, and a dresser plus one of the tvs. The living area had another tv plus a small microwave and fridge with a small dining table and two chairs. There was the sofa bed, a coffee table, 2 more end tables, a chair, and three (2 on the end tables and 1 floor variety) tacky, retro style lamps. The air was controlled by thermostat but was an old unit. It was slightly noisy but not too bad. There was a small balcony with two chairs and a little table. I guess that area would be for smokers since the hotel is thankfully totally smoke free. The bathroom had sink, toilet, and tub/shower combo. The only negative was that the hotel was several decades old, but it was as nice as it could be given such. (except for the tacky lamps). The tall, tacky lamp did cause a problem. It wouldn’t turn on so we tried different light bulbs. I tried a different outlet on the other side of the wall in the bedroom area, but nothing, so I tried the outlet next to the sofa where one of the two short, tacky lines was plugged, and BOOM. There was a short in the tall lamp, and it blew that outlet and caused a nasty, electrical burning smell. I called the front desk, and they sent a maintenance guy. He verified that the outlet no longer worked, and I had him take the tall, defective lamp. We had to stretch the cord for the short, tacky lamp to the other end of the sofa. He said he would flip the circuit breaker, but it didn’t come back on so we just left it stretched to the other outlet. The next morning, I saw the coffee pot from the next room outside their front door and wondered if their outlets had been blown as they were on the other side of the wall from the bad outlet. Who knows? The hotel took care of the situation promptly, and there was no more damage, and the smell went away.
Breakfast was fantastic, especially after the nightmare at the Homewood Suites the morning prior. They had an omelet/egg station so I had 3 eggs over medium with bacon and sausage links from the buffet plus a piece of whole wheat toast. Afterwards, I returned for a small bacon/mushroom egg white omelet and some more bacon slices. There were some juices plus bread, potatoes, and more, and the waitstaff provided orange juice, coffee, and water. I think it was about $15 each, if not included due to status so try to book it with room, if no status. I found it did the trick, and I was happy!
Player’s was fun for the fooItball gamewatch. The prices weren’t too high. $12 for a domestic pitcher, and food was around $10 for burgers and sandwiches. They had several appetizers as well, but I had a fish sandwich, which was tasty even though the fish seemed thin and the bun thick! I thought it was great because Notre Dame finished off an undefeated regular season and I got to meet Skylar Diggins’ father, who lives in Tampa area and was at the watch.
In summary, I would definitely stay here again. I am giving it a 4 because it is dated. I’m not sure how this could be made a 5 without major remodeling and rewiring. The room was next to the elevator bank, and a slow hum could be heard off and on at times. The halls had the low ceilings and reminded me of the older casino hotels in Vegas but without the smoky smell covered in perfume. If we had stayed on the 10th floor, we would have been in the wing which is next to the highway, and it may have been noisy. There were a few times when the noise was apparent from the side where we were. I had a good night sleep and could have slept through most anything after the libations from Player’s! Everyone on the staff at the hotel and restaurant was top notch. I will rebook here in the future if I can get a great rate even though I won’t expect to receive a suite next time. Thanks for a great one night stay!

Room Tip: Stay away from the highway, is possible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ADePiro, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit! We appreciate the detailed feedback, including your compliments about our staff and breakfast. Our Breakfast by DoubleTree Buffet consistently earns very high guest feedback scores. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton, Tampa Airport - Westshore over March break. I was impressed from the time I landed. I flew from Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Tampa for March break with my 12 year old daughter. When we landed all I had to do is call the hotel and they sent over a free shuttle to pick us up from the airport. When we got to the hotel, Debra Johnson, a lady at the desk, checked us in. She was smiling and super helpful. Her pleasant demeanor made us feel so welcome. The next day after breakfast at the hotel, which was really nice (great selection), my daughter and I got a free shuttle to the local mall. The Double tree offers free shuttle to everywhere around the hotel, all the shops, restuarants, etc within a few mile radius! This saved me a fortune in car rentals! I was leaving for a cruise from the Tampa Port and for $10 each we got a drive in the shuttle to the Ship after our third day the day at the hotel. When we returned from the week cruise, we got the $10 each shuttle to pick us up, stayed one more night at the Double tree Hilton, Tampa Airport hotel and got the shuttle to the airport the following day to fly home. Our stay there was excellent. It was a bit busy with some 'business conventions' and that did cause a bit of noice and congestion in the lobby and at the pool area during lunch hour...but other than that the pool was great. The staff are the friendliest I've come across in years at a hotel. From the drivers who were so kind and funny, to the staff at reception who smiled and made us feel so welcome. The housecleaning were so friendly and the room was spot less, although the furniture and carpets were a bit out dated. Thank you! We would stay at this hotel again for sure! It'd be my first choice next time I visit the Tampa area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am a Hilton guy through and through, so I chose this hotel over the Hyatt Place that is very close to my dismay. The hotel looks nice enough when you enter as they have done some work to the lobby area, but the rooms leave much to be desired. The carpet is worn out and the furniture is in much need of being replaced. It is just an older hotel that is showing its age and isn't up to the standard that I have come to expect from most DoubleTree hotels. That being said, the breakfast is very good if you have status and get the vouchers. Great selection and very friendly wait staff. I didn't get to take part of the HHonors reception to due my work schedule, but they do offer that. I will most likely look to stay elsewhere on my next trip to Tampa.

Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times for a project located in the Tampa area. It has a decent breakfast if you get it comped as gold, I wouldn't pay for it for sure. Staff generally friendly, didn't have any real problems so I didn't need their help.

The hotel overall is a but older/run down but clean. My biggest complaint is that they seem to get a lot of daytime convention traffic that spills over into the evening, combine that with proximity to Charlie's steakhouse and parking can be a bit challenging.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Port Tobacco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed two nights at the Doubletree Tampa Westshore during Nov 2012. While I arrived at the hotel about 30 min before official check-in, my room still wasn't ready 30 min after official check in time, and the front desk staff gaveup and switched me to a different room. When I asked about breakfast, I was told about the for-pay options. Retreating to my room, I researched my reservation and discovered that a complimentary breakfast was a part of my reservation. Back to the front desk to sort it out.

At the room, a bulb was burned out in the bathroom, and the deadbolt wouldn't latch. While not a huge deal, it showed me that the basic maintenance wasn't getting done. There was an air conditioner cowling propped in the hallway (not my ac).

Room was adequate but needed upgrading. I ended up with a highway view, if you stay here, ask to be away from the highway.

I've stayed at numerous Hilton branded properties. This Doubletree was near the bottom in quality versus other Hilton family hotels, and I would look elsewhere for lodging if I visit Tampa again.

Room Tip: Select a room away from the highway for a better view and a little more quiet.
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have stayed at DoubleTree a number of times and find the staff friendly, helpful, and the product is a a reassuringly good standard. I particularly like the complimentary cookie, snacks and good morning coffee in the room. They don't seem to 'penny pinch' to me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore? Share your experiences!