“Best experience and value in town!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 West Cypress Street, Tampa, FL 33607   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2x HHonors Points
Ranked #78 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Best experience and value in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The experience at the Doubletree begins before you even step foot into the property. They have lots of parking available, to include a very attentive and friendly valet service. Once you enter the lobby, you are greeted by a friendly front desk staff, every time! They make it a point to learn the name of the guest, and actually remember and use it! You will of course be given your standard issue chocolate chip cookie. They are always baked fresh and on hand, but attention is quickly diverted to the inviting sports bar that is literally right behind you!
The Players Club, their sports bar, has many tables and offers comfortable arrangements with either a bar-style or table-style, whatever you prefer. While you are in a sports bar with all of the local and national channels on more of the wall mounted TV's than you could ever watch, you might feel that you have been upgraded to a very trendy eatery with the extensive menu options - but at reasonable every day prices! The bar offers a great selection, and is also very reasonably priced.
If you can make it out of Players and you are not too embarrassed to take your shirt off, then I would highly recommend soaking in some Florida sun outside by their pool. They have a large lounge area as well if you don't want to get splashed while you soak up the rays.
If you want to work off those pounds before you go out to the pool, then you are just like me :) I really enjoy working out in their gym. They have a lot of new machines and weights that make it just like my gym at home. I am very comfortable there, and feel that I can get a good safe workout.
I noticed that the property has several conference and reception rooms. The staff always seems to be attentive and available for those private functions. I took a little peak in (please don't tell anyone) and the way they had the room set up was just great! I know that a lot of thought must have really gone into what they do for those receptions.
I finally made it up to my room and felt like I was ready to take a load off. I set up my laptop with the free Wi-Fi and enjoyed some good couch time.
I was very pleasantly surprised to see that their flat screen TV's didn't have the on-demand movies and RESTRICTIONS like most hotels have. I could actually use my laptop to plays the movies I wanted to for free! This added tremendous value for me, as I was able to save a lot of money that way.
The beds there are great. They are so comfortable, you won't want to get up. Luckily, they have a very effective staff for the room service. You can order from their menus very late through the night, which is great for me!
I am not much of a morning person, but I felt much better when I went downstairs and got a look at that breakfast buffet. It was not the typical continental breakfast - not one bit. They have a chef there to prepare your eggs any way you like. For me, nothing starts my morning like a cook-to-order breakfast.
I have a sweet tooth, and when I left the hotel in the morning, I asked for one of those cookies again. I was handed one with a smile, and I was off to go shop at the International mall, which is very nearby. They have a FREE shuttle service that took me anywhere I wanted to go in the area, which was a great way to save on some taxi money I would otherwise have spent.

Room Tip: The elevators are quiet, get a close room!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
ADePiro, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Wow! Thank you so much for your very positive review. As the Director of Marketing, I couldn't have asked for a more detailed, better review! We invest so much time and so many resources on applying the Hilton training, so it's very rewarding for our team to read your compliments about our team members being friendly, attentive and recognizing our guests by name. We sincerely appreciate the great endorsement and hope to welcome you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I was in town for two days on some difficult business. It wasn't very relaxing due to the difficult business, but, being a Hhonors gold member, I was placed on the 10th (top) floor and it was a nice room. Being treated well at the hotel did make me feel relaxed and set me at ease. The breakfast buffet was very good (and free for Hhonors members, overpriced otherwise, but almost all buffets at hotels are overpriced) and the managers reception, which is not every night, was very good as well. Even had some healthy, good food choices. There were kids on the executive floor which I deem as a plus (since I love kids and have kids) as some Hhonors properties don't always allow kids on the executive floor.

I agree with some other posts that this is an older hotel and it shows its age, despite the renovations. Minor issues, but if you want a new property don't stay here. The view was nice, the pool seemed nice and there is a decent fitness center. The tower with the Hhonors executive floor is a bit confusing to get to, but not too bad. There is a free shuttle to/fro the airport and they were prompt in picking me up. At 5:30 AM when I returned to the airport to catch my flight, lots of airline crew members--this hotel is near the airport.

Some patrons do not like loud air conditioners. It is June in Tampa and hot and humid. The AC works fairly well although it is loud (I like background noise at night, but for those of you who like quiet AC/fans, beware) and there is a warning about setting it below 68 degrees, but I never saw the need to set it that low.

In some , thumbs up and I stay here again, but it wasn't spectacular in any way. It has a run down feel. The free internet is only for gold and diamond members.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are so happy that we could provide additional comfort allowing you to relax during your difficult business trip. We consistently receive positive feedback on the amenities provided to our HHonors members, such as the Managers Reception. It was great to read that you will stay with us again. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Tempe, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

We've been at this hotel for the past 3 days. The location near the airport is convenient. The staff is wonderful --warm and friendly. The pool on the other hand is very disappointing. There are a total of 9 loungers for the entire Joel and 6 are torn and broken (will attach pics upon my return). It's a shame because the pool area is charming and could otherwise be a great area. If you intend to spend any time at all by the pool, I would pick a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I was here at a conference for three nights and stayed on the Hilton Honors floor. The air conditioning was noisy and outdated with a warning not to permit the temperature to go below 68 degrees for the risk of dampening the carpet. The location is good as very near the Tampa Airport. It is convenient and airline crews stay there. The temperature throught the hotel was muggy. Tampa is hot and humid during the summer but the ambient tempreature in the halls and and on the floors was uncomfortable.Parking is woefully inadeqaute and there were complaints for attendees that the adjacent parking garage on the property lacked an elevator with luggage having to be carried down stairs. Parking for conference spilled over into a nearby high school parking lot across the street before the school banned the parking. This a bareley a three star hotel. it has seen better days.

Room Tip: There are far more modern hotels closeby.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the compliment about our location. We hope that you enjoyed the many HHonors benefits provided by our hotel during your stay. Parking is typically a great strength for our hotel, as we offer more parking than other area hotels with over 440 spaces. Your visit occured on a rare occasion when we had multiple, large groups at the hotel. Fortunately, we do have overflow parking options within footsteps of our doors. Also, we did have an emergency repair to an AC unit that is responsible for cooling a guest corridor, which was likely the source of your comment about hallway temperature. This project was completed within 24 hours and had no impact on the temperature or comfort in guest rooms and meeting areas.
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. Staff was very professional and friendly. Cookies at check in!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your feedback! The warm, DoubleTree cookie is a great way to begin your stay. We consistently receive high marks on the cleanliness of our rooms and we appreciate your comments on this area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

As a frequent traveler, I find this DoubleTree Hotel a very nice place to stay in the Tampa area, especially since its recent renovations. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are updated and clean. The hotel is conveniently located near the Tampa airport, two large shopping malls, and many good restaurants. The breakfast buffet is well done and is one of my favorite things about the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
ADePiro, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for the positive feedback! We appreciate the compliments on our team members and renovated product. Many of our guests agree with you about the Breakfast by DoubleTree Buffet, as it offers a great variety, such as made to order omelets, fresh seasonal fruit and berries, Belgium waffles and more. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed here recently on business. Staff was very friendly. Was disappointed that the pool area was so small and that there were no in-room safes. I may be alone in this. But, I feel much more comfortable being able to lock my valuables in an in-room safe. Yes, they have a place to lock up valuables at the front desk. But, that entails visiting the front desk every time you need something that would normally be in your in-room safe. As for the pool, half the chairs were not usable and by 10:00 in the morning all the working chairs were taken for the day. There are a number of better hotels in this area. I'd recommend staying at one of those.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate the high marks on service and your suggestion regarding in-room safes. You are correct about the hotel providing safety deposit boxes for valuables, which are provided at no charge. Typically, our large pool, hot tub and sun deck allow plenty of space for guests of our DoubleTree by Hilton. We seldom receive this type of feedback, so it is very possible that we were experiencing unusually high demand during your May visit.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport - Westshore? Share your experiences!