“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Tampa Harbour Island

Save Saved
You added Westin Tampa Harbour Island to your Saves list
Westin Tampa Harbour Island
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   725 S. Harbour Island Blvd., Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Wyndham Harbour Island)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #24 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Florida
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed there over the Memorial Day weekend and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were nice and clean and lacked that stale hotel room smell. The bed was easily the most comfortable bed ever! Staff was super nice and treated us like we were the only guests there and it was their primary goal to make us happy. There were a few areas that need a little updating but they are doing that. Pool area was nice. I felt more relaxed there than at any other hotel pools. There was decent music, not too loud, not too quiet. The bar was open with real fruit in water to give it a little taste and !!! they don't charge you for it. We enjoyed it at the pool and in the lobby when we decided to explore the place a bit.
I can't say anything bad about this place except that parking is a pain in the neck! It's crowded and expensive but we were pleasantly surprised when we found out the parking fee was included in the cost of the room. But I got the impression it's not that way for everyone because the attendant asked us if it was included, we didn't know, he checked for us, it was, everything was cool.If you decide to stay here, you might want to check on that. Or, if you prefer, there is also valet parking for a nominal charge.
If I'm in Tampa again overnight, will I stay here? Probably. It was a good value for the money, we had no complaints, everyone was nice, everything was clean. They are in the process of updating some areas of the hotel which is more than I can say for some places I've had to stay!
So, I highly recommend this hotel. :o)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rriverav, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
saturnmom7 : Thank you for visiting us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!Our staff is pleased to know that you found the service during your stay to be outstanding. It is truly our pleasure to learn that we provided you with the pleasant stay that you experienced!

914 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Westin June 2-5, 2013 in room 1118. This is a great hotel to stay if you have a meeting at the convention center.
The Good
- Price was much cheaper than the Marriott or Embassy Suites
- Nice staff
- Clean room, clean bathroom, comfortable bed!
- Beautiful view of the harbor

The Not so great (but still not awful)
- Yes, it is a workout room, but the machines are really old and they are cramped in the room. It serves its purpose but not an excellent fitness center
- Parking is $17 a day. If that was not high enough, there is a PARKING TAX PER DAY added onto this. So, parking is almost $19 per day. After a great stay, I felt a little "nickel and dimed" when I saw this on the bill.

I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone doing business in Tampa.

Room Tip: Just beware the parking tax added onto the already high parking fee.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for staying with at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island NashvilleTNGuy!
It is wonderful to here that you found our hotel to be great!
We look forward to seeing you again on your next business trip!
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Sandra mejia was an excellent server. Asset to the hotel. Very informative and remembers customers from trip to trip. In addition food was tasty and lots of variety. The buffet is a great deal. As for the hotel my room on the 11th fl was awesome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for visiting us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island, Joe A
Our staff is pleased to know that you found the service during your stay to be outstanding. It is truly our pleasure to learn that Sandra provided you with the pleasant stay that you experienced!
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend. Upon arrival at 12:30, we were promptly checked in and upgraded to a premium room on the 10th floor. Reservation agent was extremely pleasant and helpful - bags delivered to our room immediately. The room, although not overly decorated, had a lovely view of the harbor. It was also very clean, love the Heavenly Bed - and best of all, quiet! I asked for early room cleanup and was accommodated right away. The pool area was nice - small area - and the lunch we ordered was delicious (although a bit pricey). The location was great - within walking distance of several restaurants/shop and the Riverwalk. One small gripe - could do without the $17 per day self-parking charge ($21 for valet) - I know most city hotels charge a parking fee, but this area is really not in the middle of downtown. Other than that, an extremely pleasant stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for visiting us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island trk56!
Our staff is pleased to know that you found the service during your stay to be outstanding. It was truly our pleasure to have provided you with the pleasant stay that you experienced!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

For $116 a night the tenth floor waterside rooms offer a wonderful view of the Davis Islands, the airport there and the port. Cruise ships going to sea and pleasure craft of all kinds making their way out and back. Very modern with every convenience, able to accommodate many functions at once comfortably. Great location downtown. Convenient to Berns Steakhouse and the Columbia Restaurant, two of the city's best.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a waterside room, up as high as possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island JHudsonGainsville!
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the view from one of our tops floors that showcases our wonderful harbour views!
We hope to see you and your friends again soon!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

let me start off by saying that I have stayed at this property 3 times over the past 10 years, and in that time, it has gone from good to horrible.

We stayed using points and used a suite upgrade. We entered our corner "suite" and I was completely appalled. I cannot believe that a hotel would even rent out a room like that let alone call it a suite. There were stains ALL OVER the carpet, the wall paper was peeling off the walls and the furniture looked like it belonged in someone's garage sale. It was TERRIBLE. I promptly went back down to the front desk and let them know that this was not an acceptable room and that we would appreciate being moved. I could tell the front desk had dealt with these complaints before because the staff member that I spoke with was completely not surprised and actually seemed like this was something that she dealt with on a daily basis. The staff member told me she would move us to a new room and that the staff would move all of our luggage, we were going to get a bite to eat so the staff told us that when we returned our bags would be moved into a new room. However, when we returned staff informed us that they could not move our stuff without us present, but would move us to a new room.

They ended up moving us to their largest suite, which was enormous! However, one thing that struck me as odd, why didn't they give us this nicer suite if it was available in the first place? It would have saved them a lot of trouble and us a lot of annoyance. In the end, the larger suite was okay, but it still wasn't on par with what a Westin should be (and I have stayed in plenty of Westin's to know, my husband is platinum with Starwoods and we stay in their hotels all the time). It was disconcerting to stay in the largest suite (and presumably the nicest) that this hotel has to offer and still find plenty of fault. It felt like we were staying in a Motel 6. The carpet had stains everywhere still, the furniture was stained, dented and scratched and overall the room was very drab. I found a large dead spider stuck to the baseboard, it was gross. The only good thing about the room was that it had fantastic views. It was so unfortunate that this large hotel room had so much potential to be an amazing room but apparently has been left without any sort of upgrades/repairs in years.

It was so sad to see the property that I once stayed at and enjoyed a great deal in such bad condition. I would not normally say this about any property, but I think it might be a tear down.

It felt like we were the only ones staying here, probably due to the horrible reviews on Tripadvisor, which I wish we would have taken under advisement before we booked, but since we had stayed here previously we didn't think we needed to.

I will say that the staff at this hotel were FANTASTIC. I felt horrible for them having to work in a hotel where they cannot control certain things that are disappointing (such as the horrible condition of the hotel, run down, etc.). The staff went out of their way to try to make up for it in their service delivery and their attitudes, despite probably receiving constant complaints, they were very professional and had positive attitudes. The bell man (I think his name was Patrick) was so nice to us and helped us move our luggage from room to room. He went above and beyond in trying to make sure we had everything and he seemed very genuine! The management of the hotel also tried to make sure that things were right for us by sending us a fruit basket while we were out, which was a nice surprise to return to. Even the waiter (an older gentleman) in the restaurant was so nice and accommodating.

Unfortunately, despite the wonderful staff, this hotel really needs to either be torn down and rebuilt or the hotel needs a MASSIVE overhaul. I really wish I could give it a better review because of the staff and because I have previously stayed in this hotel and had great experiences, but I think that other travelers have the right to know how terrible this property is.

I guess I should have known when we checked in since they had a letter posted at the front desk from the management that explained that they were taking consumer input seriously and were making changes to the hotel. What I really don't understand about this hotel is why they are continuing to operate if they are getting such horrible reviews and they know it. It really feels like the Westin brand should not allow this type of thing to happen. As a loyal starwoods member, its really disappointing when you use your points and suite upgrades that you have saved up over time after spending money staying at their hotels repeatedly only to stay somewhere that is terrible and the management knows how horrible it is. It seems like they should warn their loyal customers and/or refund their points, if I wanted to join the Motel 6 customer loyalty program I would, but I joined starwoods, kind of a disappointment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Rriverav, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Greetings SUNandSANDLOVER77
On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to apologize for not meeting and exceeding your expectations. Your comments about your most recent stay are being shared with our entire staff so that we may improve upon the services we provide.
If you would like to speak with us directly we would be happy to speak with you!
Warmest Wishes!
Lyon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at Westin Tampa Harbour Island four days during my holidays and had a really pleasant stay! Rooms are very clean and comfortable plus the view is great. Very well located just few minutes from the Tampa Convention Center and very closed to Florida Aquarium and Tampa cruise port ... staff is welcoming, friendly and really helpul. Great place to stay for holidays or bussiness!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, lunalyon!
We are delighted that you were able to enjoy all that Downtown Tampa has to offer within the proximity of the Westin Tampa Harbour Island hotel. We do pride ourselves in exceeding our guests expectations and would like to welcome you back when you are back in the area,

Been to Westin Tampa Harbour Island? Share your experiences!