“Good price, bad vibes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Tampa Harbour Island

Save Saved
You added Westin Tampa Harbour Island to your Saves list
Westin Tampa Harbour Island
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   725 S. Harbour Island Blvd., Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Wyndham Harbour Island)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Colorado
“Good price, bad vibes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The price was very reasonable and we had a nice view. Bed was comfy, room service prices were very high. But what really bothered us was a letter they put in our room after our second night, saying among other things, "We ask that when you return to your rooms this evening that you take your neighbors into consideration, keep the time in mind, and noise at a minimum. Parties are not allowed on property unless hosted by the property through our Catering Sales Department in our banquet rooms. Any rooms with excessive noise will receive a warning. Please call our Service Express by dialing 0, if you are disturbed and we will contact our guests in that room. Typically the noise will stop at that point; however, if we receive another call to that room, the guests may be evicted from the property with no refund."
We both felt they left the letter in our room because they thought we were being noisy. My husband called the manager to tell them we are quiet, elderly people and they had the wrong folks. The manager said that is a letter they put in every room and it was nothing personal. We were offended and disturbed, but he did not apologize. We feel the letter was inappropriate; drunk and disorderly guests need to be handled by security, not by a school-principal type of letter to everybody. We did not feel like treasured guests. They need to read the book "Hug your Customer". On another day, housekeeping did not replenish a number of items in our room (cups and coffee supplies, etc). When I called the front desk, they sent up a guy with the items, but only half of what I told them was missing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Greetings from the Westin Tampa Harbour Island adoptsomekids!
I apologize for the miscommunication you had with the letter placed under your door. It was not our intention to ever have a guest feeling offended and disturbed but rather empowered and reassured that here at the hotel we strive make sure every guests leave the hotel feeling refreshed and renewed! Also, I apologize for not replenishing some of the items in your room. Your comments are being shared with our entire executive team in order to improve upon the services we provide.
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island

773 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Winter Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is a great hotel. Very accommodating. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The hotel is kept really clean and tidy. I would recommend anyone to stay here. Very peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. The also have cribs for babies that are on the house. If I go to Tampa again, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island maccione82!
Our entire staff is so very happy that during your trip to Tampa our hotel, staff and amenities fit your needs!
We look forward to seeing you again!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Based on some of the comments, I expected a very run-down hotel. I thought it was very nice (and I have stayed at some run-down hotels) although it could use some improvements.

It was convenient to downtown Tampa although there's not too much to warrant spending a lot of time downtown. But, it's also a short trolley ride from Ybor City which I understand is fun.

The lobby is nice with a lot of comfortable chairs. I had a fine breakfast in the restaurant. The bedroom was well decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable.

By prepaying, I got a great deal--less than some other lower end hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Greetings from the Westin Tampa Harbour Island Bob976!
Our staff is pleased that you found our location convenient as we are set in the heart of downtown Tampa. When our guests find the time, dining at our restaurant is a great way to nourish the soul and start the day!
As you may know we are in the process of some modifications to our hotel which will further improve our guests’ experience. Our entire staff is excited for these changes!
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went to Tampa to see a show at the performing arts center. The Westin was fairly difficult to locate, and it would have been nice to have directions on the website, but once we got there, the hotel was very nice and in a good location. Our room had a great view and good amenities overall. My only complaint is the constant nickel-and-diming (parking fee, internet fee, etc.) that makes me want to just stay at a budget hotel chain with everything included. That's a problem endemic to the entire high end hotel industry, though, not just the Westin. It would have been nice to have better transportation options available, as well. There was supposed to be a flat $3-per-person taxi rate to downtown Tampa, but the valet staff steered us to an overpriced minibus service instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your stay with us here at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the location. Your comments about the additional charges associated with staying at the Westin and our valet staff are being shared with our management team so that we may improve upon those service for our future guests.
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a very nice property. We were here for a wedding the front desk and all of the staff were very helpful and accomodating. The restaurant next door - Jacksons was also very good,
Would love to stay here again bedding was heavenly and the pillows were awesome!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rriverav, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island while attending the wedding. Our entire staff is pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and the location of our property!
We hope that if your travels bring you back to Tampa that you come back and visit us here at the Westin!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stay at a LOT of hotels and happened upon the Westin Tampa Harbour Island by chance. I am now completely obsessed with the hotel and can honestly say it is one of my favorites. First-- the front desk team is amazing. Check in was quick and painless and as an SPG Gold member, they upgraded me to a suite.

My room overlooked the harbour with wall to wall windows. It was clean, nicely appointed, and my bed was HEAVENLY. I slept better than I have in a while.

I got a free drink coupon at check-in (and again the next night) and enjoyed a delicious drink at the bar. The bartender Paul was easy to talk to and made a great drink. The atmosphere in the bar was upbeat yet low-key.

The hotel had lots of little extras-- little caramels near the front desk, great coffee and flavored water in the lobby. Even the housekeeping staff made my stay a delight. The sweet lady cleaning my floor stopped me in the hallway to compliment my outfit and just made me feel like a million bucks.

My only complaint is the cost of parking--$17.00 a day. I think that's excessive.

The Westin made traveling easy. I am really looking forward to my next trip to the area and will always stay at the Westin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island JustCallmeTourGuide!
Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest program as well. You loyalty is important to us. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to provide you with a complimentary upgrade, drinks and all the little extras that you had mentioned! Our entire staff is excited that you were able to enjoy your stay with us!
We hope to see you again soon here at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
worldwide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The good: Hotel personal were exceptional! Always present as floaters on the lobby level. My heart goes out to them as they must have extra training and practiced in dealing with a constant barrage of complaints. Also the restaurant was the one exception to the hotels condition.

Let me tell you how the story ends. My bill was slipped under the door with an attached letter which stated “we’ve heard you loud and clear” with a list of remolding projects scheduled for the months ahead. The ironic part is I never complained about a thing. This letter apparently goes out to every guest with the bill. Nobody likes BAD surprises and that is what this hotel delivers in spades. Why not say on the hotel website that it is undergoing improvements. Then offer a discounted rate for those who would trade a great rate for the condition of the property
If you have a car I want to warn you about the signage. Once you are underground and veer to the left for hotel parking don’t stop in the first area that indicates hotel parking. Pull all the way forward until you see the hotel elevators. If you park where initially indicated not only will you be as far away as possible from the entrance but you may get confused and enter the elevator area that services the office building.
Upon arrival and entering the elevators I noticed the buttons were worn to the point where you have to look carefully to determine which button gets you to the lobby. The entire elevator cab was way past needing refurbishing. Check in was fine but you then have to take a parking pass back down to the garage which is a strange way to deal with parking since you also have to take a ticket. Never had to do this in any other Westin or Sheraton. The elevator ride down to my car was worrisome because of the strange noises and actually made me worry that it might be a hard landing. Whenever I rode the elevator with other guest there would be comments made about the elevator and one repeat guest said they had been like this for years. The elevator woke me up in the morning and I learned that one is turned off until 6am to prevent disturbing guest. What about guest who sleep past 6 am?
The room itself was also just marginal with the shower tiles missing grout in some areas, rust stain running down from safety rail, black (mold?) growing on the caulking that had been used in maintenance. I had to take the toilet paper roll off the holder because it sagged towards the floor which made it difficult to dispense. Next to the holder was a hole in the wall exposed where the screw had been from a previous maintenance attempt. Some of the room’s walls had been touched up with a paint brush where it could have been easily painted with a roller so it didn’t look like a botched job with mis-matched paint. Even the back of the entry door needed a good cleaning. I checked in at 4:30 and it looked like the hallways had not yet been vacuumed based on the amount of lint and small particles lying around.
Platinum Starwood members don’t expect the automatic upgrade as none was offered or given. There is no club lounge but they do offer a free drink in the lobby bar. They have a platter of food but provide only plastic plates and napkins. Try eating asparagus, olives, roasted squash or cuts with a napkin.
No matter where I looked I saw deferred maintenance. It is just unfair to let a property get to this level and then begin improvements. Given the condition of the hotel I only stayed one night.

Room Tip: If you must stay at this hotel request a room as far away from the elevator bank as possible