“Great views of the harbour but not close to many attractions.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Tampa Harbour Island

You added Westin Tampa Harbour Island to your Saves list
Westin Tampa Harbour Island
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   725 S. Harbour Island Blvd., Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Wyndham Harbour Island)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #30 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
“Great views of the harbour but not close to many attractions.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at the Westin during a 3-day holiday weekend. We arrived at the Hotel around 3:30 PM. Check-in time is at 3:00 PM. We, along with several others were informed that our room was not ready yet. The staff asked if we would like to check our bags with them while we wait, which we did. We walked around the area for about an hour and returned to the hotel. We were then informed that the room was still not ready. We decided to sit in the lobby and search the Internet for restaurants for dinner. You can imagine our surprise when we were informed that Wi-Fi is NOT included in our room rate and that it was an additional $13.99 per day charge! After another hour of waiting, a staff member came to the lobby and informed all of us that we could then check-in to our room. As there were so many people waiting to check-in by this time, this process took almost 45 minutes. When it was finally our turn we were then informed that our room was not actually ready but they would “up-grade” us to a suite. By the time we actually got to our room it was around 6:30 PM.

The room itself had a fantastic view of the harbor, it was very clean and spacious with French doors that could be closed between the bedroom / bathroom area and the living room / office / dining space. The bed was incredibly soft and comfortable and the shower had a double showerhead with adjustable water flow modes on it, which was fantastic. Also, every staff member that we encountered was extremely courteous, pleasant and helpful; the hotel itself however, is clearly understaffed.

On the other hand, the room lacked very basic amenities, which are standard in even the most no-frills, cost effective, hotel chains. As mentioned earlier, Wi-Fi was an additional daily charge. There was no microwave in the room, the “refrigerator” had a sign attached to it, which indicated that it was designed to keep items “cool” not cold. What that meant in reality was that it kept a bottle of water at room temperature, so it was completely useless and a waste of space. While the T.V. was a flat screen, it was located in the bedroom area and not visible at all while sitting on the couch or at the desk in the living room area. So, morning coffee and watching TV while my husband was still sleeping was out of the question. There was no breakfast of any kind included with the room again fairly standard for most hotels. There was also a $15 + tax per day parking fee and an additional “resort” fee. This hotel is in no way, shape or form a resort. It does have a pool (again a standard amenity for hotels in Florida) and a banquet room but that is all. It was also not located close to very many attractions in the area. We did walk to the Aquarium and port where the cruise ships are docked, however, my husband and I are runners and are used to walking. It took us about 20 minutes to get to the aquarium from the hotel, so if you have difficulty walking you would have to drive and then find a parking space, which are scarce in that area.

Overall, we would not stay at this hotel again. While, the hotel had a great view and the staff was friendly, I expect not only the basic amenities but also much more from an upscale hotel such as the Westin. By the time you added in the additional fee’s for the internet, parking and breakfast which are standard in most hotels and then the resort fee, on top of that, our room cost an additional $63 per day. For that price, you can stay at a nice hotel on the beach instead.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
IslandGirl071,

Thank you for providing the collaboration of events that took place during your stay that demonstrated a less than adequate Westin Tampa Harbour Island experience. The personal interactions and connections we create with our guests should leave them feeling inspired and rejuvenated. We sincerely apologize for not allowing you to reach your potential during your stay and we would like the opportunity to speak with you.

The Westin Tampa Harbour looks forward to hearing from you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at the Westin Tampa Harbout Island. I highly recommend staying here because the Staff from the front desk, restaurant/bar, housekeeping, and valet are ALL extremely friendly and accommodating. The beds are very comfortable, and a coffee maker and hair dryer are all right in your room for convenience.

It is easily located by the convention center; a short walk over a bridge.

I especially want to thank the following staff members at the hotel for making my stay feel like I was home:

Ashley, who helped me prior with many questions I had and accommodated what was needed for my stay.

Jessica, Angela, Rafael, Lauren, Justin, Tia, Claudio, Coy were all very caring and pleasant, always with a smile

When I needed directions to anywhere, whoever was available printed out my mapquest, and also gave me directions to the publix, minutes away.

Housekeeping: Juliana was my main contact and she was so sweet, pleasant with a smile
and happy to help in every way.

Also in housekeeping was Diana and Handel, who were smiling and pleasant with any needs or questions as well.

The bar staff was very pleasant also and helpful, even calling when the dinner we ordered was ready for my to pick up. I wish I could remember their names, but I hope they ALL get recognized.

The hotel is quiet and you will sleep comfy and know you have a great staff there for you. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your visit back with jILL b!

The entire staff of the Westin Tampa Harbour Island is honored to know that during your stay we left you feeling like you were at a “Home away from home”. In addition, it is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our signature Heavenly beds and the ease of our location to the convention center!

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island and we hope to see you again soon!
Lutz, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I just recently stayed at a Westin for my first time. The check in staff were very friendly and accomadating. My only negative was that the carpeting through out the hotel was worn and dated. I was a little miffed by this because it was a Westin. Our waterfront view however was very nice and the bed slept amazingly well. Our room was clean and the furnishings were nice, but their was a little age on some of the paint and moldings. Overall I would never say that these minor astetics would keep my from coming back. I just thought that the chain had some higher appearance standards. In this propertys defense however renovations will be occurring in the near future. Overall I would still recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The room has what looks like a mini- fridge but is more like a cooler for cold items. Fridge rental...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for sharing the experience you had with us here at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island vinman566,

Here at the Westin our staff takes pride in the services we provide and we are happy to know you felt we were very friendly and accommodating during your stay. We apologize for not providing you with the environment that you had expected from a Westin property and as you mentioned we are in the process of updating the items you had mentioned. On behalf of the Westin staff we would sincerely like to thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island and we look forward to seeing you again!
Bartonsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I Highly recommend this hotel. The guest services are really excellent. I especially want to thank Alex for his outstanding service and cheerful personality. His capabilities exceed his job discription. During our stay, he provided us with a lot of helpful information and gave us directions to all the best places around town. When We were running late for our flight back home, he made it a priority to retrieve our car and to make sure that all of our luggage was ready to go. i would definitely stay there again in the future!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island Geri528!

Each staff member here at the Westin values the experiences each guest has. It is particularly wonderful to know that we had provided you with a meaningful stay because of Alexs’ outstanding service and cheerful personality. When you encountered a delay and nearly missed your flight, Alex instinctively and effectively was able to assist you!

Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the future!
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel customer service was above and beyond. The front desk staff was really nice when checking in and when I had problems with my safe, Benny was sent to fix it for me. He was really nice and very efficient. Looking forward to staying here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for staying with at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island Jeannie B!

Our staff takes pride in proving only the best service. It is great to hear that Bennie was able to assist you in a polite and efficient manner when you needed him. Our goal is to provide a personal and renewing experience for each of our guest and we are glad to know that we had taken such good care of you during your stay here with us at the Westin.

Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to see you again in the future on your next business trip!
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My experience was by far the best I have received. The call to see if the room was up to my liking, from the beautiful piano and decorations all over the hotel and the beautiful view from my floor this was a great decision from my overnight stay. The valet I would recommend Alex great people skills and quick to get his job done! Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Westin.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island Matt C!

Our goal here at the Westin is provide each of our guests with a wonderful room that meets and exceeds their expectations. During your stay here for the night, it is amazing to know that your room was to your liking and had a beautiful view. In addition, the service that was provided to you from our great associate Alex has been shared with the entire staff!

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again!
Tipton, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My husband and I just returned home from a week long conference in Tampa. We enjoyed our stay here very much. The rooms were comforatable and clean. Gabe, a valet at the hotel was absolutely wonderful, very friendly and helpful throughout our entire stay. William, the bartender at the pool was also very good. The staff at the hotel are all very friendly but these two went out of their way to make our stay even more plesant. We would highly recommend staying here and will stay here again should our travels take us back to theTampa area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Greetings Stephanie Q!

We are glad you enjoyed your week long stay with us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island! Our wonderful associates Gabe and William are a true asset and appreciate the recognition for their efforts.

Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island and we hope to see you again!

Been to Westin Tampa Harbour Island? Share your experiences!