“Wonderful Hotel and Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75

Save Saved
You added La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75 to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17301 Dona Michelle Dr., I-75 at Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa, FL 33647 (Formerly Wingate by Wyndham New Tampa)   |
Ranked #9 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Phila. PA
“Wonderful Hotel and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

I stayed at the Wingate on Dona Michelle Drive for 2 days after New Years. There are two Wingates in the area and the one I stayed at was farther away from Busch Gardens (BG). I thought the web site indicated free transportation to BG but this may have been for the Wingate that is closest to BG. This is the first time I have stayed in Tampa without an auto. I now realize how stranded one could feel without a car! The manager of guest relations was so wonderful to provide me a ride to BG- She was just fabulous and I'm sorry I forgot her name. The young man at the front desk was also very kind and welcoming.

I loved the decor of this hotel- the lobby is as clean as can be- probably the cleanest I've seen yet in Tampa. My room was right across from the laundry area which made it a little noisy but not too bothersome. The room itself was large and clean, the bed was the BEST ever- so soft and comfy- it was hard to leave it behind. There was a nice desk area with FREE wireless internet (one of the reasons I chose this hotel) plus there is a radio that can play your IPOD- I love this feature. There is a second (cordless) phone on the bedside table- good feature.

My room was a king room and it also had a sofa bed. The bathroom was clean and a nice size. The only small area of the room was the microwave, sink and tiny fridge- way too small for my taste but it was nice to have. The free breakfast is another reason I chose this hotel and it was very good- the waffles was the BEST I've tasted in a while.

Although I did not use the indoor hot tub- it was inviting , I wish I had time to use it. I think the pool was outdoors but it was not open this time of year. There is a work out room too that I did not use. The business center located near the front desk was nice to have to be able to print documents.

Because I didn't have a car I had to walk to some of the area stores. Unfortunately the shuttle requires a 24 hour advance notice for a drive within a 5 mile radius- what a terrible rule- if you decide to go to a movie or go shopping at the last minute you would have to call a cab. I tried asking politely for a drive to the store one evening but was told I had to call in advance.

So I walked to a few of the area stores which wasn't a bad walk (if you are used to taking walks). My only problem is that the highways are not pedestrian friendly so you may have a hard time actually getting across the BIG highway. The good thing is that a few of the stores like the Walgreen and some restaurants are on the same side of the street as the hotel.
All in all I enjoyed the stay and would certainly recommend the hotel!

• Liked — Clean hotel, accommadating guest relation manager, soft bed, free internet, free breakfast
  • Disliked — Advance notice for free shuttle, small fridge area in room, noisy laundry area near room, creeky office chair
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

We stayed here for two nights on our trip to Florida last week b/c of the good reviews I saw here. I'll echo all the positive comments about the hotel. Nice room, LCD TV, comfortable beds...etc.

Staff was friendly and helpful when we were inquiring about surrounding towns around Tampa.

Good stay and I would return if I'm ever in the Tampa area again.

• Liked — clean and well appointed rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alpharetta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

The Wingate was a great place to stay. Our room was nice and quiet. It was on the back side of the hotel which faces a quiet wooded area. The room had everything as advertised - a comfy king size bed, sofa, free wireless and wired internet, flat screen plasma TV, small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The free breakfest is the morning was good, pretty standard continental breakfest fare along with some hot items. The hotel is close to I-75, so getting around town is very convinient. I would definitely stay here again when I'm in Tampa.

Also, I'd recommend booking through the hotel's website directly. They have the best rate, easily beating any of the third party sites (even if you factor in the "free" gas promos that are popular nowadays), and I didn't have to pay in advance.

• Liked — Great room, nice area of Tampa
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Great location, great service. Shuttle is better than driving! They were quick to pick up at Busch Gardens after a phone call. Loved everything. It's the place to stay!

• Liked — quic to BUsch Gardens and manager party
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

We were not expecting to stay at this hotel or in this area. We went to Clearwater Beach first but were very unimpressed with the hotels in that area, so we came upon this property. We had Busch Gardens tickets so we decided to stay close to that park.
This hotel is roughly 10 minutes from Busch Gardens. On arrival we thought the hotel was in the middle of nowhere and were thinking why would they have a hotel in this area. However over our stay we did notice it was NOT in the middle of nowhere, there were plenty of restaurants and stores nearby. The hotel was clean. The pool was like bath water, very warm. Our kids enjoyed our stay at the hotel. So if you are looking for a place to stay and DO NOT want to be by water but want to be by Busch Gardens this hotel is for you. Again it is roughly 10 minutes from Busch Gardens.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — not near water/beach/ocean
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Located across the street from the campus of the University of South Florida, this was a pleasant surprise. OK, it's not the Ritz, but is very clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, and my room was one of the best accessible rooms I've ever had. It's surrounded by restaurants, malls, attractions (Busch Gardens) and if you have business at the university, it's a lot less expensive than the Embassy Suites across the street. The free breakfast was good and filling, and you can make your own waffles. The pool, fitness room and whirlpool are open 24-hours per day and there is a guest laundry. My room was equipped with a refrigerator and microwave and free safe. There is a charge for the Internet. It's a little on the plain side, but I enjoyed my stay and plan to return.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

I thoroughly researched hotels in the Tampa area before booking this hotel. I am happy to report what many have discovered already: Wingate by Wyndham Tampa North is not only a great deal, but one of the best places you'll stay at...ever. Forgive me for the long review, but here's why:

The room: Sure, it's a typical standard (small) room, but it makes up for it with its amenities. Seriously, the most comfortable beds, sheets, and pillows you've ever slept on. If you don't like the 4 DIFFERENT PILLOWS they offer you initially, they will gladly bring up a 5th, 6th, or 7th different type of pillow for you. A large dresser with 4 huge drawers to unpack your clothes into. A desk with FREE wireless. An alarm clock that serves as a true radio and i-Pod hookup. Forget about a sofa--how about a RECLINER with a reading lamp and end table to read your daily (free) USA Today?! An empty refrigerator (you know, one without those overly priced snacks and alcohol most hotels try to give you), so that you can go down to the local Super Wal-Mart to buy essentials. Microwave oven that actually works and cooks your food evenly. Marble bathroom countertop and tiled shower with Moen Showerhead/faucet. Small safe in large closet. OK, so the TV isn't a flat-screen, but they gave me basic cable, which allowed me to watch CNN and ESPN. My 6-year old loved that he was able to watch all his Cartoon Network shows.

Free breakfast: Not your typical continental one, either. Yes, they served every pastry on the planet, but they also had freshly made waffles, omlettes, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, etc. Great juice selection, too. Flat screen in the dining room to watch CNN Morning, as well.

Happy Hour: Yes, a complimentary happy hour Mon-Thurs, serving beer, wine, and snacks--very nice touch.

Business center: Complimentary use of laptops, fax, and copier.

Pool: Small, but very clean. My son and I were the only ones using it, so that allowed him to splash and make all the noise he wanted.

Jacuzzi: Inside the hotel, in it's own room, off of the exercize room (which I didn't use, but looked nice). Watch out for the slippery floor when you exit the jacuzzi.

Laundry room: Washer and dryer just for guests at end of the hallway on the 3rd floor. Great for when we needed to leave, and our swimsuits and towels from the beach the day before were still wet and needed to be dried before getting on the airplane to go home.

Customer Service: Employees greeting you at every turn, offering their services at any time, checking up on you to see if your stay is enjoyable, etc. When I couldn't leave the room to get the movie times of the theatre across the street, the front desk brought up a printed copy for me. They also gave me directions/recommendations to all the excursions we did (Tropicana Field, Busch Gardens, Disney World, Clearwater Beach, etc.)

Extras: Judith Jackson Spa amenities in the bathroom, and Wolfgang Puck coffee/tea in the room. Side entrance to the hotel off the parking lot (which came in handy when we got caught in a downpour and needed to get in the building fast).

Off-the-beaten-path: In a safe, clean, new part of Tampa (basically the 'burbs). The furthest I had to drive was Disney World/Clearwater Beach (both 1 hour away). Busch Gardens/Adventure Island were 10 minutes away, and downtown Tampa/airport/Port of Tampa/Florida Aquarium was 25 minutes away. The area makes you feel at home, like you're one of the locals--I liked that.

Last thing: I was worried when I got a room facing the front entrance, at the end of the hallway against a stairway. I didn't hear a sound or a peep from the driveway or the stairway, so there was no need to request a room change.

My husband works at a high-end "Strip" property in Vegas, and I can tell you that, between the amenities and customer service, his hotel would've been given a run for its money if the Wyndham was out here. I was very impressed with Wingate by Wyndham, and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay at an affordable hotel with high-end amenities.

• Liked — Amenities
  • Disliked — Loud, old A/C
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75? Share your experiences!