“A great stay with great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75

Save Saved
You added La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75 to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17301 Dona Michelle Dr., I-75 at Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa, FL 33647 (Formerly Wingate by Wyndham New Tampa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Dallas, Texas
“A great stay with great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My extended family and I were in Tampa for a family wedding. Our 5-night stay began on Christmas Eve and we liked our accommodations so well that we decided to stay an extra night after the wedding was over (to hit the beach after wedding stress). On Christmas Day, we had our family Christmas gift opening right there in the lobby by the big, beautifully-decorated Christmas tree. Carl, the manager, offered to let us use one of the meeting rooms for our celebration. Carl and his staff were also great sources of information for nearby restaurant choices and well as directions. He also helped us look for a few lost possessions. One day, something weird happened with the room keys (demagnetization?), but the staff acted as if it were no trouble for them to take time out of their busy schedule and help us with something so mundane. He and his staff seemed to go the extra mile in serving us that week.

The hotel is very close to I-75 and our room was on that side of the building, but we never heard any traffic noise, thanks to the woods (?) between the hotel and the highway. It's been mentioned in other reviews, but there is a rooster close by. We never heard him from our room (though my kids and nephews enjoyed chasing him around the property).

The breakfast was good. I am gluten-intolerant and therefore, can sometimes have a hard time finding things to eat with "continental breakfasts". There were eggs and sausage and yogurt and instant oatmeal and even bacon on Sunday! And they never ran out of bacon! The eggs were probably from a mix and therefore, not the tastiest, but I just stuck with the yogurt and oatmeal and apples and did fine. Coffee was always fresh. My children enjoyed the make-your-own waffles. If the continental hot breakfast is not your thing, there are plenty of restaurants nearby -- Panera Bread, Chic Fil-A, Taco Bell, Subway, etc. Also nearby is Walgreen's, which came in handy when needing something last-minute (i.e., pantyhose and hair clips) for the wedding.

If you have children that need to run off energy, find the rooster. If you can't find him, there is a really nice park down Dona Michelle Road past the hotel. You'll pass a water treatment plant and looks like you're trespassing, but you're not. Just keep going until you come to a small parking lot. The park looks more like walking/jogging trails (?), but near the parking lot is a small zip line that my kids LOVED (and naturally fought over!) and some other rope climbing equipment.

Also, this is a dog-friendly hotel. One thing you should beware of is that by the pond behind the hotel, there is a high concentration of dog-doo. Apparently, not many people pick up after their pets. Sad, but true. Just watch your step when walking the beautiful property!

Our trip was wonderful and only enhanced by the excellent care that Carl and his dedicated staff gave us while we were staying at this La Quinta. When we come to Florida to visit our newlywed brother and sister in-law, this will be the place we lay our heads! Thanks for everything, Carl and staff!

Room Tip: Rooms on the "even-numbered" side are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jackie C, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear valued guest,

We at La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North want to thank you for your wonderful comments. We are pleased to know that your stay with us, was an enjoyable along with your family members.

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Here for you,

Jackie Cruz
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa-North

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed a night at the Holiday Inn Express (which is about 1 mile away from this hotel, if that) and I was unpleased with the cleanliness there, but VERY pleased at the La Quinta. The staff was friendly at check in and called the room to be sure we had everything we needed. I'm giving it 4 stars only because I would have liked better soap products. But, still-- VERY clean and VERY pleasant staff.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped here on our way to Florida. We also had our dog with us. We like LaQuinta because they are clean and pet friendly. This hotel is right off I75 and is conveniently located by gas stations and places to eat. In fact, we were able to walk to a couple of fast food restaurants. The rooms to the rear of the hotel face the woods. We found that nice because we could leave the blinds open and still have relative privacy. The grounds and surrounding area was pretty nice for walking our dog. Breakfast while not great was convenient and complementary. Overall, we really liked this hotel and plan to add it to our list of potential places to stop to and from Florida.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I highly recommend this La Quinta Inn. Shortly after I checked in, I encountered several small issues with the room which were immediately handled to my satisfaction. The staff was very courteous and helpful. I will definitely stay there next time we go to Tampa!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
North Port, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at this La Quinta. Our family stayed here the night before winter jam was in Tampa partially because of the heated pool & the other great reviews. Everything was great from the room, to breakfast in the morning. The hotel was very nice & we enjoyed our time here.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

A nice couple of days stay in Tampa. The service was very good. We had an issue with our first room: after coming back from dinner we had a bunch of ants in the sink. Also, the door latch was quite finicky. They switched our room right away, and there were no issues with the second room. I did mention in their proprietary exit survey that it was a bit disappointing that there were no snacks available for sale by the front desk, just drinks. I've already gotten an e-mail back from the manager that they have added back snacks!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were very clean, well kept and modern. I'm in hotels 200 nights or better each year. This was one of the best beds I've slept in. The staff was beyond excellent, friendly and very helpful. Next time through this is a MUST stay spot.

• Stayed January 2014

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75? Share your experiences!