“Average with annoying issues = mediocre experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75 to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17301 Dona Michelle Dr., I-75 at Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa, FL 33647 (Formerly Wingate by Wyndham New Tampa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
New York City, New York
“Average with annoying issues = mediocre experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The description from La Quinta says the property is newly renovated but that can't be very recent, as the bathroom tiles were mildewed and the shower looked at least a couple of years old; and I found a few hairs in the tub. But the rest of the room was clean and the front desk staff is very friendly.

Be warned, however, that the free wi-fi may not work in all the rooms.  My room, 210, could not receive a signal on any of my 3 devices (which are in perfect working order).  The front desk staff was no help on this problem, a major issue for me since I was traveling on business and wi-fi is critical.

Also, the lobby is under construction and when I asked for a corkscrew the front desk said they "couldn't find anything due to the construction." Perhaps a minor point but I was just off a flight and wanted to relax in the room with a glass of wine but then had to drive around looking for a corkscrew.

Although they have nice flat screen TVs the signal is old fashioned analog -- looks like TV circa 1995.  Why bother spending all that money on new TVs and not provide a Hi-Def signal??

Overall a decent place to stay but these little issues add up to a mediocre experience.  I expect better and could find better at other nearby chain hotels for a similar price.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our family was totally pleased with our stay that we extended an extra day. Considering the hotel was under renovation, the hotel staff ensured we were satisfied with our accommodations. The rooms were very clean and the quality of service was superb. What stood out the most in our visit was the professionalism of the staff and the excellent service they provided from the front desk, to the room service staff, to the kitchen crew who ensured breakfast every morning was of the highest quality. I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This property recently changed from a Wyndham hotel to La Quinta. It is under renovation but that is okay with us. I believe only the 2nd floor (out of 4) was in service.

I really don't think we should have been charged the full $119 plus tax for our stay. I booked on the web and it did not say that there would be no amenities available. The pool, fitness centre and business centre were closed. The wireless Internet was terrible no matter where you are in the hotel. I believe we pay for those conveniences.

Rooms was clean, smelled good, and beds were comfy as per usual for La Quinta. Premises outside are also under renovation, but its understandable.

Breakfast in the morning was good. No complaints! We had sausage, eggs, French toast and waffles were available.

Overall, nice clean place, but with amenities gone- rate should have been reduced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hampton, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I made reservations at this hotel for our family reunion in advance of our arrival . When I called to reserve 6 rooms for my family, I was told the hotel was under renovations, but everything will be ready when we arrive, and we will enjoy a newly renovated hotel. Well, to our surprise, the hotel was in "FULL" renovation mode. Walls were torn out, plastic on the furniture and the floor, light fixtures and vent fans in the bathrooms were not working. The room keys did not work most of the time, the swimming pool was out of order, and there was no exercise room at the hotel. Now, this would not have been such a big deal if we had not plan some of our reunion activities around what was expected to be avaliable. for example, the swimming pool, and the exercise room. The kids really were expecting to swim, and workout in the weight room. That is why I called ahead to make sure these things were offered at the hotel. Furthermore, 1 out of 3 of my family members are diagnosed with asthma, not good with all the dust. On a good note, the staff was good, and they tried to make us comfortable, and the breakfast was better than most hotels. For the most part, we had to make the best of a "BAD" situation. Family was not happy with me! This was my first time staying at La Quinta before, and I was going to sign up for the "la Quinta" club......I don't think so. Fincare @aol.com

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The pool had scum & leaves in it & deck was filthy. Elevator had dirty rags in the track and corners , broken tile throughout. Luggage carts look like theyre from the 70s.
Wall damage on every level.
Called the desk twice with no answer, nobody at desk on a third personal attempt. Internet help desk ridiculed me, saying nobody else had trouble, maybe I didn't know how to use it. I do! Hairs in tub and on floor. Grout & fixtures were stained and dirty. There were 3 high beam security lights pointed right at our window. Family came into the room next door at 10:30, kids were jumping on the bed, which banged our wall, & were screaming & laughing...no answer at front desk, & 5:00 AM there was a rooster crowing in the parking lot. There's a Hen too. I have pictures of everything I've mentioned including the resident rooster. Made my Mothers Day begin HORRIBLY! I recommend this place be bulldozed, cause management doesn't care.

• Stayed May 2013
Fleming Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel although a bit farther out was clean and quiet. Located near RT 75 there are plenty of resturant and shopping options. The rooms were newly redecorated, breakfast offered a good variety of warm dishes from egg to waffles.

The staff was friendly and helpful with an efficient check in and check out

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've never stayed at a La Quinta and it would not be my first choice so I was disappointed when this hotel was revealed as my "win" on a popular discount travel site. I chose it because it was listed as a three star hotel which I still disagree with that distinction and for that reason alone, I will not be booking another hotel with that site anytime soon. The first thing I checked was tripadvisor once I learned what hotel I would be at. The reviews were all fairly good so I was optimistic. To shorten a very long story, I checked four different rooms, two didn't have properly operating doors, one had stains on all the furniture, and the fourth that I settled on had a number of issues which ultimately led to my early departure. The television had a loose cable which caused the reception to be horribly fuzzy, the bathroom only had a bar of soap (which I'm not used to and had forgotten my toiletry bag at home so I had to make a trip to the store,) the shower curtain was ripped at the top and bottom, a chair in the room was ripped, the tile grout was gray/black and needed a proper cleaning, while lying in bed, I noticed the underside of the lamps were filthy also. Most of those could be considered minor annoyances but the dirty carpets that soiled our feet/socks was more than I could take. I figured I had just thrown money down the drain on a well taken lesson (since it was prepaid) and decided to checkout in the morning and go elsewhere. Since I felt the cleaning standards were so lax, I definitely did not eat the breakfast, I didn't even go look at it. I just packed up my kids and went to check out.
I happened to be checking out with the front office manager so I explained to him why I was leaving early, the general manager was also nearby and expressed interest in my concerns. They let me know that they were aware of carpet problems and that everything was in the process of being replaced (it was obvious that the property was under remodeling construction). They were very accommodating, they went above and beyond to help with my situation when I was really not expecting anything at all. It was refreshing to see that kind of customer service! So, once renovations are complete, I do not doubt that this will be a better place to stay but if you're at all picky then wait a few months.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family