“Not the best Marriott in Tampa” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Kids Eat Free +$25 Credit
Ranked #72 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Pittsburg, PA
“Not the best Marriott in Tampa”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

This is a 70's style Marriott hotel however the rooms have been
nicely updated with new furnishings and luxurious beds that pretty much guarantee a great nights sleep. Beyond that this is a basic Marriott experience. Location is great for the airport but not much else. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room as far away from the elevators as possible!

I'm a gold member with Marriott so I get upgraded to the Concierge Floor. The Concierge Lounge was nice but kept very dirty. The Concierge that works in the evening is a piece of work! I told him I wanted a good local steakhouse for dinner and he tells me Tampa doesn’t have one. He said he is Tampa's BEST Concierge and the ONLY good steak restaurants in Tampa are Ruth’s Chris and Timpano's. Someone needs to by this Concierge a Zagget book! Tampa has many great Steakhouses plus a world famous Steakhouse called Bern's with the largest private wine list in the world!!! You would think the The Best Concierge would mention that. I asked him if he would be putting out the alcohol and he said he doesn’t do that in his lounge because he likes to take a lot of smoke breaks and doesn’t want the alcohol out when he has to leave. I usually stay at the Marriott downtown and they always have a nice display of liquor, beer and wine for guest to serve them self’s hints the name HONOR BAR. This sentiment was felt not only by me but other traveling companions and we will not be returning to the Marriott Westshore. We like to stay where we feel appreciated and not degraded. There are several better, newer and friendlier hotels in that area that welcome guest and we will be pursuing those options on our next quarterly visit to Tampa.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

I booked this hotel after securing a low rate on Priceline that was obscene ($50 for the night). They sent a shuttle to pick us up at the airport. The shuttle was running a little slow, but the weather outside was great. The hotel and the room was immaculate. The beds were comfy, and the staff very accommodating (particularly when I was locked out of my suitcase).

We only stayed here for one night before catching our cruise from the Tampa port, but this was a great place to stay. I would definitely book again.

• Stayed February 2005
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

Enjoyed the Marriott Westshore, the pool, the room, the exercise room. Polite and helpful front desk!!!!! Excellent location for pleasure and for frequenting the Clearwater Beach each day.!!!!! Thank you Marriott Westshore for a delightful stay!!!!! Didn't even know the refurbishing of the roof was going on!!!!!

• Stayed March 2006
Cincinnati
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

Way overpriced, over $200 with taxes, $10 for internet, and $15 for breakfast buffet. For a great hotel, no problem. But this was no better than your average 2 star. Staff was unhelpful, hotel was plain, room was average, shuttle was slow. For $90 and free net/bfast, it would have been good. Save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
A PLACE CALLED HOPE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

I must have stayed on a renovated floor as everything was clean and new. The room was tastefully decorated. The new bedding was beautiful and so comfortable. Super soft sheets. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Great buffet breakfast in their restaurant with some fresh made belgian waffles included!.The kids really enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool combo! Also we traveled with a large family group and had 6 rooms. We had a large amount of food that we had delivered poolside that was great also. Made a few trips to the bar, great service and drinks as well. We were leaving for a cruise the following day, so the only complaint was there was no shuttle service. We had our car but other family members took a cab.

• Stayed January 2006
Long Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in late December of 2005. I was traveling for business but decided to have my girlfriend join me in Tampa for New Years. The hotel itself is an older, but well maintained, property. Unfortunately, in my unrennovated room, some of the things you would expect to be working were not. For instance, the air conditioning! I was without working A/C (or a window that wasn't bolted shut) for 2 of my 3 nights in the hotel. The carpet in the room was also pretty nasty. Once the room rennovations are done, this will be a great place to stay, however. The staff from check-in to check-out and everywhere in between were very helpful and pleasant and the hotel is centrally located and close to the airport. The indoor/outdoor pool was very nice and the exercise room was more than adequate.

For this trip, I would have been much better off in the Marriott Waterside or the Renaissance at International Plaza. Unfortunately, I didn't know until it was too late!

Regardless, we had an ok time in Tampa. We didn't find Ybor city to be very interesting but we did like the Channelside area. The International Plaza (right up the street) was also pretty cool...although being from New York we found it strange that people flocked to what is essentially a shopping mall for nightlife in the weekends!

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
Boca Raton, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

I picked this place because of the good reviews on this site, but I was disappointed. I would compare the rooms to any Travelodge or Days Inn. I thought a Mariott would have been nicer. The room was TINY. In order to close the bathroom door I had to wedge myself between the toilet and the sink, and I'm a skinny guy. I have no idea how your average super-sized American could fit in the bathroom and be able to close the door. The bathroom floor had glass tiles which would have looked cool except for the dirty white grout which looked moldy. The rest of the room was clean although the stucco on the wall under the window had several foot long vertical cracks in it. The toilet was super noisy when refilling, and would start refilling for a second time about five minutes after a flush. The worst thing about this hotel was the rediculous extra charges for things other hotels offer for free. They wanted $10/day for Internet access and $13.95 per person for their breakfast buffet. Yikes! Even $40/nt hotels in Tampa give you FREE wireless access and FREE breakfast. I would much rather stay in the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Tampa Marriott Westshore? Share your experiences!