“Good Hotel But Needs Food Options” 4 of 5 stars

Save 15% on Weekends
Ranked #11 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brussels, Belgium
“Good Hotel But Needs Food Options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Located conveniently in the Tampa Airport. Typical clean modern comfortable Marriott room. Staff well-trained, polite and eager to please - as expected. Good place for a tired long-haul traveler after a trip or to spend the evening before an early morning flight.

Had some trouble finding the Marriott. Entered from the car rentals and no sign for hotel. Went upstairs on a hunch and again, no sign. Walked around a bit and found a sign, but only the one. Still lost. Then saw the Marriott at the end of a long wide hallway. Smooth check-in and given a room that met room requests. Very nice people at reception.

Sadly, there isn’t much choice for food in this airport. A TGIF and some Italian place. Then the usual junk food burger places. That’s it. So I thought the Marriott would save me. Only bar-food in the bar and a limited “Cuban bistro“. No restaurant. They used to have one on the roof, but not anymore. It was still marked in the elevator and one of the service workers gave me the sad news. Considering the few food options in the airport and the fact that this is a Marriott, thought the food possibilities at the hotel were very disappointing. Hyatt has a similar hotel at the Orlando airport that upstages this Marriott in almost every area. Marriott should stay a few nights there to see how they handle it.

Wi-fi available, but as usual, not free. I don’t see how budget hotels can provide wi-fi free with a much lower room rate, and Marriott has to charge for it. Also, there were two small bottles of water on the room table. Thought it was a “welcome to Marriott” free drink, but when reading he label, they wanted $5 a bottle. Wonder how many people thought they were free, drank them and then had to pay. Would have been a nice touch for the host to offer a drink of water.

No room safe or fridge. Nicely presented coffee/tea station. Adequate size TV.

Would I stay here again? Definitely - but I wouldn‘t look forward to it like I do for the Orlando Airport Hyatt. But, still a good choice to land after a long trip. Nice large room and very comfortable. Food options at both the hotel and airport leave much to be desired, but if Marriott reads this, maybe it will improve.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Stefan_TPAAP, Director of Hotel Ops, Rooms at Marriott Tampa Airport, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff at the Tampa Airport Marriott, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback to regarding your recent stay with us. Our two major strengths are certainly our location inside the airport and a staff that is always eager to assist. We take great pride in providing our guests with an experience that is memorable for all the right reasons.

Your observation regarding the signage to the hotel is certainly well-taken as we are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience. An easy arrival to the hotel is important to the start of our guest’s journey with us.

Regarding the restaurants in the airport and at the hotel, it is unfortunate that the choices did not appeal to you. The airport has two main casual restaurants that include TGIF and Carrabba’s. In our hotel, the Skyye Bar is an option for anyone looking for a lively atmosphere; we have added some healthier options to the menu and are always looking for new ideas. Café Elise is our Cuban American Bistro which is our traditional 3-meal a day restaurant that offers a variety of choices from traditional Cuban Sandwiches to seafood and steaks. It is a new concept for us that so far has been very popular with our guests. Our menu choices are regularly updated and we welcome the suggestions from all of our guests as to menu preferences.

Thank you for choosing the Tampa Airport Marriott for your lodging accommodations and we will look forward to your next visit.

565 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was travelling with a broken foot and had mobility issues. A wheelchair was available to me for the duration of my time at the hotel up until I got to the airline check-in counter the next day. All staff were helpful, courteous and could not do enough for us. Thank you for making our time at your hotel as easy as possible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We certainly hope that you have a quick recovery and are glad to hear that our staff was able to accommodate you. Traveling injured is always a challenge and it makes it easier with just a little bit of help. That is precisely what we are here for.... We certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and look forward to your return visit to the Tampa Airport Marriott.
Florida Keys, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have stayed here before early flights over the last 5 years and it has been a gem. I will stay again I am sure. The staff is friendly and the location is the best - and worth it for the extra money you will spend. You can park very close to the entrance to the hotel and thus it will be easy to retrieve when you return. We have had room service many times and it is awesome! Very comfortable room and unusually quiet. Felt very safe too -- traveling as 2 females. Very clean also. Definitely worth the extra money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stefan_TPAAP, Director of Hotel Ops, Rooms at Marriott Tampa Airport, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your insight on your recent stay at the Tampa Airport Marriott. Our location is one of our strongest assets as our guest cannot get any closer to their terminals in the morning. For anyone looking to park, stay and fly there is no easier place to stay. The room service department appreciates the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to your next stay.
Longboat Key, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

At the beginning of a very very long trip half way round the world, with maxed out baggage and a bike to boot, we decided to stay here to catch our dawn patrol flight. From the greeting and help upon arrival to the staff who collected our luggage and escorted us to the airline check in.....and everything in between, including a great dinner at the Cafe, comfy bed, immaculate clean room....Marriott went above and beyond. I don't know about the airport being rebuilt, but if and when, this hotel is a fantastic addition to have available. Kudos to everyone who helped us out, I wish I could remember all your names because you deserve recognition. One wonderful lady cleaning the windows near the pool was so cheerful and kind, her smile and cheerful manner could make anyone feel that everything is ok today!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stefan_TPAAP, Direcor of Hotel Ops, Rooms at Marriott Tampa Airport, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff at the Tampa Airport Marriott I would like to thank you for the kind words provided via your recent review of your experience at our hotel. The review will be shared with the team to ensure that they know that their efforts are appreciated. They strive to make lasting impressions on all our guest. We look forward to the next opportunity to host you in the near future.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed 20 nights at this hotel at the Tampa airport. The staff is among the friendliest and best of any that I have ever seen. Helpful, cheerful, and they went out of their way to make sure I felt like. Valued guest. The gym was always well stocked, and very clean. The rooms were comfortable,loved the pillows and bed sheets. Truly appreciated Margit, who works in the lounge on the 6th floor who made me feel like family. Stephen, the guy who works on the cleaning crew was so helpful and kind. When I got home, the operations director sent me a personal email thanking me for staying at their property. All around great people, make this a great hotel. The only thing I did not like was the small pool. Highly recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stefan_TPAAP, Director of Hotel Ops, Rooms at Marriott Tampa Airport, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for taking a few moments to share your experience at the Tampa Airport Marriott. We feel that our staff service is our strongest asset and it is great see the names mentioned from your stay. Your feedback will certainly be used to provide them with the recognition they deserve. We look forward to your return trip to Tampa so that we may host you once again.
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

It was supposed to be a King bed? I know I am 6 1" but I have never had my legs popping out of the bed of even a queen not to talk of a King...until now. Did not make a great sleep. But all other things were okay for a Marriot. Really, internet should be free for guests in this day and age. its really a get-in-get-out business accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Tampa Airport Marriott. We appreciate your feedback and suggestions on improving our products and services to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. In regards to the bed size, all our king beds are 76X80X15. If we inadvertently place you in a room with two queen beds I certainly do apologize. We know one of the most important aspects of a great hotel stay is a good night sleep. I do hope that your travels will bring you back to Tampa in the near future and we are able to provide you with a much better experience. Please feel free to contact me directly upon your return so that I may provide you with my personal assistance throughout your stay.

Stefan Ritter
Director of Hotel Ops, Rooms
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Marriott is my #1 choice of hotels because of Tampa Airport Marriott. I travel 3 times a year and always stay here before my flight. This hotel has the best employees! They are friendly, know what they are doing and nothing is a problem.
Tereza at the front desk always remembers our name and is just delightful.
The rooms were renovated about a year ago and they turned out great. Well, may be the bathroom is kind of small.
Yes, they charge for internet in the rooms, but lobby access is free or they have some good rates that include WiFi.
There is an outdoor swimming pool and now they added table tennis and other games.
Lisa in Café Elise is awesome. The breakfast buffet is delicious. It has anything you can think of.
My only worry is that this hotel could be gone in the near future. I read on the airport website that a new terminal will be built and this hotel is in the way. Sad.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. We get room with 2 beds because it has a bathroom with a bathtub.