“Great location, but two big problems” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #34 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“Great location, but two big problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Sailport is all about location. If internet connectivity and quiet aren't important to you, this is a good place to stay.

But if you'll need the internet, avoid Sailport. They use a flaky provider called Bluemont that frequently goes down. The front desk will give you a technical support number to call every time the service goes out, but Bluemont seldom answers. When they do answer, they complain about how Sailport needs a higher level of service, but is too cheap to buy it. This intermittent (and slow, even when working) internet service ruined my trip (I had to go to the lobby of the nearby Westin) to connect.

The rooms are also incredibly noisy. The bedrooms are right next to the halls, where people are constantly slamming the noisy doors, kids constantly use the hallways as a playground, and guests use the hallways as a party area.

Service is mediocre. I asked for a working office chair for the desk, and they said they'd bring one, but never did. The guy at the front desk told me he had been calling Bluemont "all night" about the internet being out. Then he called me later to tell me that he had just found their phone number and I should call it. When I asked how he had been calling them all night if he had only now found their phone number, he didn't have an answer.

Room Tip: Make sure it's close to a router if you need the internet (assuming it's working at all). R...

895 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Czech first
Brookston, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I originally picked another hotel close to the airport due to price but did some research and found the Sailport Waterfront Suites due to them having a full kitchen which would save my family of 4 a lot of money and so after reading reviews I booked via facebook. I read the reviews before booking and even read throughout my visit and saw some good and some bad. I encourage everyone to give it a try.

1st....if you are looking for a hotel that is at your beck and call this is not the place for you. These are condos and they do have limited housekeeping services so depending on the length of your stay will determine when your room will be cleaned. We arrived on a Sunday and left on Thursday. We were told at check-in that on the 3rd day we would get our room cleaned. They came on Tuesday and cleaned the bathroom, gave us new towels, made the bed and took the trash out. We were fine with this. You can always go to the front desk and ask for more towels or trash bags etc if you need them. 2nd....After reading the reviews I asked for a renovated room. It isn't a guarantee that you will get one but Jerry at the front desk got us one...RM 214. This room was even better than we thought. It looked out over the bay like all rooms do also over the pool. It was clean and the couch was new compared to some of the other reviews. 3rd.....The pool is amazing...it is a nice size and is always heated.....we experienced unusually colder temps while we were there but were still able to utilize the heated pool which my 2 yr old loved! Was really cold once we got out but that is to be expected. 4th.....the kitchen had a setting for 4 and had pot and pan and strainer with glasses etc. Full size fridge, microwave, stove/oven and dishwasher. What a money saver for us! 5th....the value was great it was only $12 more for the 4 nights than the hotel I originally booked. I got the facebook rate which was a 20% savings which was awesome.

The property has a man made beach no water access but there is a beach not far from the condo so it wasn't a big deal for us plus it was too chilly to even want to go to the beach. Nice volleyball sand court, swing, fire pit and chairs on the beach area and on the observation deck. The views are amazing and the sunset is just like the pictures. The office has a computer that guests are able to use in the main office which was nice for checking email and buying tickets to the zoo etc. The staff was always friendly and professional to me. Off to the left of the check-in desk is a little store with items like pop, crackers, pop tarts, alcohol etc...seemed a bit pricey but people were buying things.

Few things that need improved....

The master bedroom window looks into the hallway...a little strange. The light from the hallway comes into the room regardless if you have the blinds and curtains closed which means the bedroom is never dark. Maybe black out the window or put in pull shades or dim the lights in the hall something to make it a little darker in the bedroom. Our 2 yr old woke up several times thinking it was day time and ready to get up.

The coffee machine outside the office was out of order 3 out of 4 days which would have been nice on those cold mornings as we left for baseball practice. There is a coffee machine and coffee in the room but would have been willing to pay out of this machine instead of making my own.

More signage so traveler's are able to see where the entry is maybe across the road or something. Also more signage of where the office is located, I had read a review and it stated they had a problem finding it and said it was on the 2nd floor so I knew but for others they will not find it so easily.

We will definitely be coming back to Sailport in the future and encourage others to visit as well. Remember to request a renovated room and book via facebook for a great discount.

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have 6 people in our family and stayed in their one bed room family suite for our before cruise night. We booked through Expedia.com. Here's how our $130 are paid for: Very dirty and dated room. Stained sheets, you can see the hair in bed sheet, in pillow..., yellow things..., also my daught jump out when find a spider on her bed. We have a bunk bed(why bunk bed, I think I choose a queen bed when booking?) with no blanket and sheet, we have a sofa bed with no blanket. we have to wait at least one hour to get the necessary things for us to sleep, not mention keep calling to remind them again and again, when staff come, there still not eought, they brought one double bed skirt, and two blankets, but our bunk bed need 2 sets and our sofa bed need one set, called them again, was told they don't have it anymore. My husband yell at them and said we have no way to sleep, and then they got another set, and that's already after 11:30pm, We have 2 kids and 2 seniors, and this is the worst hotel I had ever stayed. Overall experience horrible. I would never stay here again or recommend this place.

Room Tip: Never ever stay there.
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed at Sailport 8 nites for NYY and Phillies spring training games. It was perfect for our needs. Enjoyed the view watching fish, rays, egrits, herons, gulls from out patio bay view. Loved the extra room of livingroom and kitchen. Quiet, clean and private. Excellent location as about 20 minutes from Steinbrenner and Brighthouse fields. Heated pool wonderful also quiet places to sit and read while watching the bay. Enjoyed the beautiful sunsets. Only issue was bed linens were suppose to be changed half way thru our stay. Called housekeeping and they said they changed them, but bed looked excatly as we had left it that morning and some communications issues as not all staff speak English very well. Other than that, will be back next spring training.

Room Tip: Take the short walk to Rustly Pelican, lovely dinner and view of the bay.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here for my wedding, and brought our wedding party with us. It wasn't a bad hotel, on the water, but the rooms and furniture could use some TLC and updating. The worst of our stay was afterwards they charged my $250 and showed me some generic pictures of stain said to have been in my room. Then they tried telling me that I had a small animal in my room, as evident by the crumbled blanket in the corner of the closet. The blanket came from the window, which i had to cover because the hallway lights were too bright for me to sleep. I did everything I could to leave that room as good as I found it, I cleaned all the dishes, and even took all my trash out. We booked 15 rooms with these people, and this is the thanks I get! Also, several members of my family were overcharged (which turned out to be a clerical issue), a bridesmaid of mine didn't have hot water, and my dad stated he found 5 roaches in his room. As a Florida resident, I am not a stranger to roaches. But I know that with proper insect maintenance , they shouldn't be a problem.

peace
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were down for a family wedding at the Rusty Pelican and looking for some place close, reasonably priced, with bay views and room for all. After doing some research I selected a 2 bedroom at Sailport. I made some specific requests that were all acknowledged and, although no promises were made, it was a slam dunk! Awesome location with the best bay views possible in a quiet area of the complex. All staff were polite and friendly and went out of their way to ask if everything was good..The only down sides were due to other guests, like the fools next door who fed the sea gulls and put their trash outside of the door for the birds to attack (how lazy can you be???) and parents who would not control their kids in the pool area.

It was wonderful to have lots of space, a full kitchen and fantastic views from the balcony. We saw incredible sunsets, dolphins and rays, all from our balcony. I wasn't looking for a luxury hotel - this it like staying in someone's condo. The whole experience exceeded my expectations. Who needs a fitness center when the best fitness you can get is to go for a run in the morning, go swimming, rent some kayaks or take a long walk? If you want to stay inside, order room service, watch TV or use a treadmill, maybe this isn't the place for you, but if you want to enjoy all that the area has to offer away from the hub bub of Tampa with all the conveniences of a full kitchen, living area and amazing bay view...all at a very reasonable price, you will love this place!
Special shout out to Nick for being so friendly! Hope to see you all again soon :)

lehighton Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a Sun show up date. On the Thurs before I called to confirm out reservation and to request a 4th newly renovated room. I was told they would do their best.On Sat on the hotel's own web site I made the same request. Of coarse no reply. When we arrived I made the same request. The front desk manger said she would look into it. As she walked away and I quote. " Oh you are prepaid and I said what and she replied sorry we are are full and I can't give you a up grade I said I am not asking for a up grade but the room you advertised on EXPEDIA and I had PAID for". She told me on Tues we would be moved to a newer room.Our room was 405. When you look at their web site you can see what they are trying to hide. Case in point. Look at the picture of the single room bedroom. Notice how the bed is moved next to the dreeser with the little plasma tv on it. That makes the room look larger then it realy is. Our room had a 9 inch non plasma tv. So small when I put my hand on the screen my thumb would touch the bottom and my pinky would touch the top of the screen. The tv in the living room was also a 20 year tv. It stopped working Tues am and when it came back on no ABC,CBS,NBS and Fox. We were told they would fix it but, when we left on Sat. I don't have to even say it. Case two when you look at the picture of the volleyball court you will see a grass area to the the right of it. This picture has been doctored to look like grass but, it is a MUD canal. This was half our view from the deck. We saw so much of MUD canal that we named the two ducks that live there. Good old Ralph and Pete. On Tues no new room not even a call. Weds am we went to the under manned front desk and wait 1/2 hour in line to be told I had no record of us asking for a new room. I the ask to see the manger and was told he was not there but would call later on my cell phone. GUESS what No call. As for the stealing I did see it. One maid stole beer from another maid's cart. That being another story.

Room Tip: Go some place else
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sailport Waterfront Suites? Share your experiences!