“Sailport great!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Sailport great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed at Sailport 8 nites for NYY and Phillies spring training games. It was perfect for our needs. Enjoyed the view watching fish, rays, egrits, herons, gulls from out patio bay view. Loved the extra room of livingroom and kitchen. Quiet, clean and private. Excellent location as about 20 minutes from Steinbrenner and Brighthouse fields. Heated pool wonderful also quiet places to sit and read while watching the bay. Enjoyed the beautiful sunsets. Only issue was bed linens were suppose to be changed half way thru our stay. Called housekeeping and they said they changed them, but bed looked excatly as we had left it that morning and some communications issues as not all staff speak English very well. Other than that, will be back next spring training.

Room Tip: Take the short walk to Rustly Pelican, lovely dinner and view of the bay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here for my wedding, and brought our wedding party with us. It wasn't a bad hotel, on the water, but the rooms and furniture could use some TLC and updating. The worst of our stay was afterwards they charged my $250 and showed me some generic pictures of stain said to have been in my room. Then they tried telling me that I had a small animal in my room, as evident by the crumbled blanket in the corner of the closet. The blanket came from the window, which i had to cover because the hallway lights were too bright for me to sleep. I did everything I could to leave that room as good as I found it, I cleaned all the dishes, and even took all my trash out. We booked 15 rooms with these people, and this is the thanks I get! Also, several members of my family were overcharged (which turned out to be a clerical issue), a bridesmaid of mine didn't have hot water, and my dad stated he found 5 roaches in his room. As a Florida resident, I am not a stranger to roaches. But I know that with proper insect maintenance , they shouldn't be a problem.

peace
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were down for a family wedding at the Rusty Pelican and looking for some place close, reasonably priced, with bay views and room for all. After doing some research I selected a 2 bedroom at Sailport. I made some specific requests that were all acknowledged and, although no promises were made, it was a slam dunk! Awesome location with the best bay views possible in a quiet area of the complex. All staff were polite and friendly and went out of their way to ask if everything was good..The only down sides were due to other guests, like the fools next door who fed the sea gulls and put their trash outside of the door for the birds to attack (how lazy can you be???) and parents who would not control their kids in the pool area.

It was wonderful to have lots of space, a full kitchen and fantastic views from the balcony. We saw incredible sunsets, dolphins and rays, all from our balcony. I wasn't looking for a luxury hotel - this it like staying in someone's condo. The whole experience exceeded my expectations. Who needs a fitness center when the best fitness you can get is to go for a run in the morning, go swimming, rent some kayaks or take a long walk? If you want to stay inside, order room service, watch TV or use a treadmill, maybe this isn't the place for you, but if you want to enjoy all that the area has to offer away from the hub bub of Tampa with all the conveniences of a full kitchen, living area and amazing bay view...all at a very reasonable price, you will love this place!
Special shout out to Nick for being so friendly! Hope to see you all again soon :)

lehighton Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a Sun show up date. On the Thurs before I called to confirm out reservation and to request a 4th newly renovated room. I was told they would do their best.On Sat on the hotel's own web site I made the same request. Of coarse no reply. When we arrived I made the same request. The front desk manger said she would look into it. As she walked away and I quote. " Oh you are prepaid and I said what and she replied sorry we are are full and I can't give you a up grade I said I am not asking for a up grade but the room you advertised on EXPEDIA and I had PAID for". She told me on Tues we would be moved to a newer room.Our room was 405. When you look at their web site you can see what they are trying to hide. Case in point. Look at the picture of the single room bedroom. Notice how the bed is moved next to the dreeser with the little plasma tv on it. That makes the room look larger then it realy is. Our room had a 9 inch non plasma tv. So small when I put my hand on the screen my thumb would touch the bottom and my pinky would touch the top of the screen. The tv in the living room was also a 20 year tv. It stopped working Tues am and when it came back on no ABC,CBS,NBS and Fox. We were told they would fix it but, when we left on Sat. I don't have to even say it. Case two when you look at the picture of the volleyball court you will see a grass area to the the right of it. This picture has been doctored to look like grass but, it is a MUD canal. This was half our view from the deck. We saw so much of MUD canal that we named the two ducks that live there. Good old Ralph and Pete. On Tues no new room not even a call. Weds am we went to the under manned front desk and wait 1/2 hour in line to be told I had no record of us asking for a new room. I the ask to see the manger and was told he was not there but would call later on my cell phone. GUESS what No call. As for the stealing I did see it. One maid stole beer from another maid's cart. That being another story.

Room Tip: Go some place else
Montclair, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This property has been reviewed many times by many people, and of course every experience is completely subjective. Nothing was stolen from me, and I was fine with the fact that cleaning services were provided only every 3 days (which, I believe, is based on length of stay; I could be wrong). Here's what I would have wanted to know and what I wish someone had told me.

We stayed for 5 nights in room 429. To my mind, this is the side of the building you want to be on as it gives you a gorgeous view of the Bay with very little if any view of the parking lot. The location was perfect for us (we were down for Spring Training), and the Rusty Pelican across the road serves a mean cocktail. To my mind, we lucked out with room choice and I would request this part of the complex should I stay there again.

The property is comprised of privately owned condos that owners rent out. Some of the rooms have been renovated and some have not. I called ahead of time to request that I get a renovated room which, I think, was partially the case. The owner clearly put no effort into the balcony as there were cigarette burns in the astroturf and the lawn furniture was leftover from the set of the Brady Bunch. THAT SAID - we LOVED sitting out on the balcony and just watching ... everything. There were patch marks in the tub (not done incredibly well) and the sofa may just have been the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. The living room yearned for a coffee table of some sort, and the bedroom was unfortunately too small to accommodate two nightstands.

It is crucial to point out that none of this would keep me from staying at the property again, but I don't know that I'd want to be in this particular room again.

The in-room property book is woefully out of date. The property has no fitness center (which, really, is not good) and at one time they apparently had a relationship with LA Fitness which its guests could use at no cost. When I went to the front desk to learn more, I was told that LA Fitness was no longer around. When I asked why the in-room info still referred to it, I was told simply "yeah, we're working on that". Hmmm....

The second issue I had has to do with the wifi. It's great that it's provided, but apparently when more than 3 people use it at any given time, it actually doesn't work very well... if at all. The property needs to do something to increase the bandwidth so that its guests can use the wifi that is made available to them.

The laundry room is nice and did come in handy. The 24/7 amenities? I would make sure to hit a Publix, Walgreen's, or Target for any needs as the front office isn't very well stocked. It's really more like an airport newstand than an actual shop. I didn't expect much, but to be fair I did expect more.

One more note about laundry - if you do plan on doing any, invest in the cheapest bottle of detergent you can find in an off-site store as it will still cost you less - even if you have to throw it away. They sell detergent but it costs $4/box. We did two loads which came to, in total, $7.50/load. The most expensive loads of laundry ever done.

So, would I stay there again? Maybe. There were parts of the experience that I loved (the little beach really is lovely) and parts which frustrated me (as mentioned), but having an efficiency while on holiday for 5 days was really wonderful and incredibly... efficient! I now know enough before I book again, but I would do a bit more research before committing.

I do sincerely make these suggestions: get some kind of fitness center and beef up the wifi. At the very least, regarding the former, make sure the information that is being given to your guests is current.

Room Tip: Rooms in the same line as room 429 are the way to go! To my mind, the best view, and I would always...
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had searched several hotels looking for one that had a seperate bedroom/suite, with a pullout sofabed for the kids. This was a great find. Clean, great service and a great location right on the water. Beautiful beach and restraunts a few minutes across the way, and they provided us with a shuttle to get there! Both out kids loved it and have already started making plans to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

the view is lovely.. BUT...

be warned: housekeeping only comes every 3 days and when they do come, they steal.

booked there for 10 nights.. 3rd day, housekeeping stole a t-shirt from the living room.. 6th day, housekeeping stole a polo shirt RIGHT OUT OF THE CLOSET.. 9th day, we refused service because we were tired of the BS...

worst part about it was that the staff/hotel managers all but refused to help resolve this situation..

on top of that, we had an issue with the sofa bed, which took 4 days for them to fix and we had issues with the toilet that took a day and a half for them to take care of..

it was the 3rd year in a row we stayed there, hadnt had a problem until now.. but this was simply horrendous... never going back there, i advise you to do the same

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Sailport Waterfront Suites, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us at Sailport. Here at Sailport we pride ourselves on outstanding quality and service and I am sorry to read that we did not exceed your expectations. We take all our feedback very serious especially ones where the guest is mistakingly accusing our staff of taking items out of the room. As you are aware and you discussed with myself and several managers we did everything possible to try and track down your missing T Shirts and were unable to do so. I assure you as you can go back and read all 400+ reviews on our site your shirts were not taken by anyone at the property. We followed our very strict policy and procedure pertaining to guests who claim items are missing and I assure you your shirts were absolutely not taken by our staff. As you saw for yourself we have a closet full of lost and found items pertaining to hundreds of shirts, shorts, shoes, elcetrical items, phone chargers, jewelery, etc all that are dated logged and returned back to the guests. I will make sure we keep an eye out and if your shirts do show up I will make sure you receive them back as we do all our lost and found items. Please contact me irectly should you have any questions regarding your stay.

Been to Sailport Waterfront Suites? Share your experiences!