This property has been reviewed many times by many people, and of course every experience is completely subjective. Nothing was stolen from me, and I was fine with the fact that cleaning services were provided only every 3 days (which, I believe, is based on length of stay; I could be wrong). Here's what I would have wanted to know and what I wish someone had told me.
We stayed for 5 nights in room 429. To my mind, this is the side of the building you want to be on as it gives you a gorgeous view of the Bay with very little if any view of the parking lot. The location was perfect for us (we were down for Spring Training), and the Rusty Pelican across the road serves a mean cocktail. To my mind, we lucked out with room choice and I would request this part of the complex should I stay there again.
The property is comprised of privately owned condos that owners rent out. Some of the rooms have been renovated and some have not. I called ahead of time to request that I get a renovated room which, I think, was partially the case. The owner clearly put no effort into the balcony as there were cigarette burns in the astroturf and the lawn furniture was leftover from the set of the Brady Bunch. THAT SAID - we LOVED sitting out on the balcony and just watching ... everything. There were patch marks in the tub (not done incredibly well) and the sofa may just have been the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. The living room yearned for a coffee table of some sort, and the bedroom was unfortunately too small to accommodate two nightstands.
It is crucial to point out that none of this would keep me from staying at the property again, but I don't know that I'd want to be in this particular room again.
The in-room property book is woefully out of date. The property has no fitness center (which, really, is not good) and at one time they apparently had a relationship with LA Fitness which its guests could use at no cost. When I went to the front desk to learn more, I was told that LA Fitness was no longer around. When I asked why the in-room info still referred to it, I was told simply "yeah, we're working on that". Hmmm....
The second issue I had has to do with the wifi. It's great that it's provided, but apparently when more than 3 people use it at any given time, it actually doesn't work very well... if at all. The property needs to do something to increase the bandwidth so that its guests can use the wifi that is made available to them.
The laundry room is nice and did come in handy. The 24/7 amenities? I would make sure to hit a Publix, Walgreen's, or Target for any needs as the front office isn't very well stocked. It's really more like an airport newstand than an actual shop. I didn't expect much, but to be fair I did expect more.
One more note about laundry - if you do plan on doing any, invest in the cheapest bottle of detergent you can find in an off-site store as it will still cost you less - even if you have to throw it away. They sell detergent but it costs $4/box. We did two loads which came to, in total, $7.50/load. The most expensive loads of laundry ever done.
So, would I stay there again? Maybe. There were parts of the experience that I loved (the little beach really is lovely) and parts which frustrated me (as mentioned), but having an efficiency while on holiday for 5 days was really wonderful and incredibly... efficient! I now know enough before I book again, but I would do a bit more research before committing.
I do sincerely make these suggestions: get some kind of fitness center and beef up the wifi. At the very least, regarding the former, make sure the information that is being given to your guests is current.
- Also Known As:
- Sailport Waterfront Hotel
- Sailport Waterfront Hotel Tampa
- Sailport Resort Tampa
- Sailport Hotel Tampa
- Sailport Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on beautiful Rocky Point Island, overlooking the sparkling waters of Tampa Bay, Sailport Waterfront Suites is ideally situated within minutes of Tampa International Airport, with easy access to downtown Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater. Our location is convenient to all area attractions and points of interest, including Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, Tampa's bayfront beach, the Port of Tampa, Olde Hyde Park Village and Historic Ybor City. The Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, Tropicana Field, St. Pete. Times Forum (home of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Stanley Cup Champions!) and Raymond James Stadium (home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, World Champions!) are all nearby. Corporate, Military and Government guests will find themselves with an easy commute to the Westshore Business District, Tampa Convention Center, MacDill Air Force Base, CAE and Laser Spine Institute (LSI). At Sailport, our island atmosphere is suitable for business travel as well as family getaways. Corporate visitors enjoy the perfect Meeting Retreat, Corporate Housing or Extended Stay venue. For family getaways, we offer spacious One-Bedroom Family Suites or Two-Bedroom/Two Bath Suites. Attraction packages are available for Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and more! All suites feature full kitchens, private balconies with water views along with free high speed wireless internet access. Enjoy waterfront relaxation in the heart of Tampa Bay and Rocky Point Island. Guests love our breezy ambiance and the spectacular gulf coast sunsets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Hotels.com, AAA Travel Services, Expedia, Amex, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Sailport Waterfront Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.