“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Tampa East Hotel

You added Sheraton Tampa East Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Tampa East Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10221 Princess Palm Avenue, Tampa, FL 33610 (Formerly Tampa East Plaza Hotel, Sabal Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #83 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Windermere, FL, USA
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just stayed one night but I would have stayed longer. From the outside it looks like an old building, but it has been completely renovated inside. The rooms were very modern and spacious. The beds were very comfortable. We were traveling with our dog, a labrador. The hotel has a great pet policy. They didn't charge anything extra and the weight limit was 80 lbs. It's hard to find a good place that won't charge you a crazy amount and allow larger dogs, so I was very impressed. We also ate breakfast there. The food was alright, the price was good, only $10 for the breakfast buffet (thats the weekend price, weekdays it is $13).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

When we arrived in June 2012 the hotel was in the process of doing renovations and the name was Tampa East Plaza Hotel. We got a great rate since there was construction. Nevertheless, the room was very clean and very well decorated. The bathroom was nice and big (and clean) and our balcony overlooked the pool. Too bad it rained the whole weekend. Other than that, it was great! Would definitely stay there again -- I bet the finshed renovations look great!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Munsif S, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Tampa East Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Renae F,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We recently have undergone an extensive renovation and I am sure you will enjoy your stay more than the previous visit.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Great staff and a good hotel. A bit out of the way from things but not too far from 75. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and did have a a Sheraton Club room which seems to be in short supply when it comes to the chain.

• Stayed January 2013
Munsif S, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Tampa East Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Shamusfitz,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our new room and found our staffs were friendly and accommodating. Our convenient location to fairground and easy access to I-75 and I-4, makes Sheraton Tampa East a prime destination for lots of our guests.

I appreciate the comments that you have shared as valued guest and we certainly look forward to your return.

Vail, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This one is a bit awkward. I really can't say anything negative but there was just something about this place that didn't leave me feeling like it was Great and wanting to return. It's just lacking... but it's hard to put my finger on what, exactly.

The pros:
Decor renovations are evident and nice

Um... really thought I'd have a list of things to put here and not coming up with anything!

The cons:
Location is weird and there is no street lighting to find it in the dark. The sign is not lit from the main street, the parking lot is not lit. It's just awkward.

I pulled up and there was a Bellman but he didn't come to help me! I sat there and finally got out of my car and he acted like I was lost or something. It was the strangest interaction I've had in a long time. I figure he wasn't actually a bellman and maybe was security or something so I proceeded to get my suitcase out of my trunk and asked what the parking situation was. I couldn't see anything (pitch black out there) so really needed to know where to park and he just said "out there". Thanks.

Checkin was fine but as a Starwood Platinum I was disappointed that there were no amenities at a business hotel such as this. No club. No breakfast. Meh. I was upgraded to a suite, which was nice a big, but the ventilation in this hotel is abominable and it was incredibly stuffy in the room and the HVAC system did not provide decent fan air or cooling. And they didn't have fans available from Housekeeping which just amazes me in a climate like Florida. That is such a simple and affordable amenity to have on hand. Oh, and when I called Service Express to see if they had fans, the phone rang 23 times before I hung up and then called back and it was answered on the 3rd ring. I said "That's not good—it just took 23 rings for me to hang up and call back to get someone to answer Service Express". The guy very callously said "Oh, sorry about that."

I went down to the lobby bar and while Ron was really personable and decent service, everything really sucked. The draft beer was not cold. And the food he goes back and makes himself! I'm assuming using a combination of a microwave, toaster oven and fryer and who knows what else. I ordered a Grilled Grouper Sandwich and it was just awful.

I really really try hard to always see the good first and look for the good and because of that, it's really frustrating to me when I feel I have to write a marginal or negative review.

Like I said, I can't really put my finger on what is so off about this property, but as a Starwood Platinum and elite for 5 years staying all over the world, I am not just pulling this out of thin air.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Wabbajack,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. The phone was ringing 23 times and the HVAC did not provide decent air.

Since you have mentioned a number of other items in your review, I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail about your arrival date and find out your suite number. You can reach me at (813) 623-6363 ext. 7109. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I were in Tampa to celebrate New Year's eve from a cold northern state (to remain unnamed :).

We arrived late in the evening so it was dark and a bit secluded as others have mentioned, but isn't that what you want in a hotel? Off the main street a little, a bit quieter, etc? With GPS we found the hotel easily enough.

There is plenty of parking with no charge definitely a plus.
The lobby is very nice, wide, open and everything is easily navigable
Check-in was easy and fast, but the clerk, while not rude, was not the most friendly.

I believe the room service was available up until 11:00. We took advantage because there were no non-fast food restaurants easily available it seemed and we were tired from our travels.
I had the BBQ chicken quesadilla and other half had a cheeseburger + fries. Both were acceptable and not 'too' expensive.

The room itself was in great condition, the balcony large and inviting with a view of the pool (closed for service???). The TV was a large flat screen, modern and served the purpose fine. The beds were excellent. Showering was a bit of a negative as there was no ventilation so steam built up in one of the largest bathrooms I've ever had access to in any hotel.

Overall, the biggest drawback was the fact it was not close to downtown and required at minimum a 20-25 minute drive as well as being a 45 minute drive to Clearwater.

Bottom line for Sheraton East Tampa: Nice hotel, good rate and what you'd expect from a Sheraton. Clean, comfortable and a bit luxurious.

2 Thumbs up.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Josh D,

Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I am glad to hear that the majority of your stay with us was satisfactory. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through with hotel clerk was not the most friendly and there was no ventilation in the bathroom.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to find more information about your arrival date and your room number. Please contact me at (813) 623-6363 ext 7109 or email me at Munsif.sharkasi@sheratontampaeast.com.

Kapolei, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

By the exterior and the location, you may not think much of the establishment. The facade is giving away its age and the property is a bit hidden in seclusion near a main road. However, once you step inside into the lobby area, you will be impressed! The huge open layout is quite elegant. It has a simple, sleek, modern design. The hotel is much larger than it seems from the outside. There is plenty of complimentary parking on the lush grounds. A bar and lounge area is across from the lobby. A small business area with computers & printer are easily accessible anytime. The staff is hit and miss. Some are indifferent while others are helpful and friendly. A shuttle bus is available as well.

The hallways leading to the rooms are similar to a high end apartment or condo building. Hence, it makes it feel as if you're about to enter your own dwelling, which created a perception of privacy. The room was spacious with a separate living and sleeping area and was fairly clean. Attention to the furnishing would be good. Some were still dirty & greasy. Nevertheless, everything was well appointed. You have enough places to store your belongings and 2 televisions. Although, there was no mini refrigerator and microwave, you do get Starbucks coffee packets and teas with coffee maker. That's a treat! A safe is also provided. The bathroom was adequate except for only 1 hook to hang your towels or clothes. There was not even a towel rack or anywhere to put your stuff. So, if you get a ledge in there, use it. Rain shower heads were installed in this hotel and that is a plus. Those are awesome, especially the big ones! What was a surprise, is that they provide you with a mini scrub sponge along with your usual and basic amenities. The toilet was weak, where you had to flush more than once or twice. The bed was ultra comfortable and made for a wonderful sleep every night. The pillows were great!

If you have a car, it's better because you can then drive to find decent food. There isn't much at all close by and you really have to go out of your way to find something you like.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tina G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

Kindly keep in mind for your future visit, that the hotel is located on exit north of Brandon Mall area about 5 min driving. There are lots of shopping, restaurants and entertainments. We do provide a complimentary shuttle service first come first serve to Brandon Mall area.

Front Office manager
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel i was impressed. The lobby was nice and looked new (they renovated). I had a couple of issues at the front desk which put me off a bit but it all worked out so i proceeded to look around the hotel. First strike: pool closed for upkeep. had it been open it failed to impress either way. i then already doubtful proceeded on to my room.

The room was standard hotel room. it did seem very clean and i liked that a lot. The pillows and bed were comfy. there was a valcony which was cool as well. I started to feel better about the incident at check in and pool being closed so i decided to go and shower to get ready to explore the nightlife in the area (didn't seem like much hotel is in the middle of nowhere) so i proceed to get in the shower and turn on the water to hear a loud noise and no water. After fighting with the showerhead for a couple minutes i call my boyfriend in for help. No luck. I have him call downstairs to report the problem and i try the faucet...no water...flush toilet...no water. turns out water was being shut down til the next day at 6AM!!! so if you needed to shower, brush your teeth, USE THE TOILET you were unable to! No one bothered to notify us this was going to happen. Needless to say, not an awesome experience. Had potential but failed.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Miss Eimu,

Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Unfortunately, the pool was not operational due to a problem with pump filtration system. However, the pool is up and running now. You have mentioned about no water. Also, unfortunately we had an emergency repair and we decided to conduct he repair between 11 pm to 6am, so it would not inconvenience our guests as much as possible. We did provide letters to all guests upon check-in and we also delivered to the rooms. I do apologize, if you did not receive a letter.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know. Please feel free to contact me at (813) 623-6363 ext . 7109 or email me at Munsif.sharkasi@sheratontampaeast.com

Front Office Manager

Been to Sheraton Tampa East Hotel? Share your experiences!