“Great location...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7700 Courtney Campbell Cswy., Tampa, FL 33607 (Formerly Bay Harbor Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #83 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
“Great location...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Beautiful view of the Bay, pool right on Tampa Bay. The room was very clean, looked to be recently updated. The pool area and the pool was clean and the lounge chairs were comfortable. The music from the restaurant was pleasant and not too loud.. The balcony from my was nice. Restaurant was good too! It was interesting to discover this was Hulk Hogans restaurant, called Hogans Beach!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BAYHARBOR, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear 754vanessal,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope to see you again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
East Patchogue, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great hotel, beautiful views, great shuttle to airport, but if you are not into a good party time with loud music, I guess Sunday night is not the time to go...Hogans beach was hoppin.. i little remote from anything but other hotels..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Dear NYCFAN51,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. I would like to point out to potential guests who have not stayed with us before that the Sunday afternoon beach parties are usually over between 10 and 11 P.M. and crowd disburses. I hope we see you again the net time you are in our area.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I don't even know where to begin. Well let's start with the fact that the security there is terrible. First, I was verbally and physically assaulted by one of their drunk guests aparently leaving the Hulk Hogan bar. This hotel is more concerned with making a buck from parking, rather than ensuring the safety and security of their guest. Throughout the entire ordeal, security was no where to be found until after the incident was well over and by then it was basically their word against mine. To make matters worse, it was 2 men along with their female friends against 1 women. I didn't have a chance to even enjoy my room or my stay in Tampa, because just as soon as I checked in I was basically running out for my dear life. This was the absolute worst experience of my life with any hotel. If you are concerned for your safety, definitely STAY
AWAY.

• Stayed July 2014
BAYHARBOR, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear N F,

I am very sorry about your experience here. I have checked with the head of security and he told me that no incident such as the one you describe was reported to him. He assured me, and I can assure you and others, that if you had notified security, they would have responded immediately. Their walkie talkie channel connects to the bar, the hotel and the parking lot at the same time. They can be anywhere on the property in seconds, if they need to be. Please feel free to return at any time.

Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Well, not so super, however nothing particularly negative.
Restaurant is external (nice location, you can reach through a walking corridor, for fans of Huk Hogan the legend of wrestling).
Boutique internal with correct prices.

Room Tip: Nothing in particular...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear lalloRoma,

Thank you for your comments. I especially liked your pictures. I know it's a long way back, but I hope we see you again if you're ever in our area again.

Key Largo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I booked two nights through Priceline for a King, City View with balcony, etc., etc

Upon check-in, I was immediately repulsed by the quality of the room. The carpet was stained, the curtains were frazzled. The mini fridge seemed like an after thought. I opened the door to the balcony (not really a balcony on the first floor) and realized that it was merely the sidewalk that would be trampled upon by the drunks leaving Hogan's in the middle of the night. We were also offered only one chair on this "balcony." This had to be the worst room in the place and I wouldn't rate it a 1-Star. (Room 107)

I went to the front desk to complain and was given an excuse; "It's the only room in the "type" I purchased." "There's no other rooms available." I explained that this room wasn't what was pictured and it was completely unacceptable. After a bit of bickering, Tom, the front desk agent, upgraded us to a bay view on the second floor. Apparently they weren't as "sold out" as I was led to believe but Tom managed to turn this situation around. This room was much better.

While the bay view room was nice, we had to endure the loud music coming across from Whiskey Joe's until the wee hours as well as the sounds of boats and jet-skis and kids playing in the pool. In retrospect, I would have preferred my original city view with a balcony (not a sidewalk).

The pool is lit with "black lights" (in the water) and, as a result, was filled with bugs after dark. It was quite disgusting. As "cool" as this seemed, they should rethink this.

There were obnoxious people on our floor, running up and down the hall all night long. The guy next door was out on the balcony doing bird calls at 6AM. These aren't necessarily the hotel's fault.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but had we been forced to stay in the room "type" that I was sold, this review would be quite different. The location was perfect for our decompression after a long trip, by-car, to Georgia and before another long trip home to Key Largo.

Room Tip: Understand what you're paying for before pre-paying as I was very dissatisfied with what they of...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jrmckeel,

I'm sorry that your stay with us was not what you expected. I would like to take a few moments to clarify a few points that might be helpful to you and to other guests in future, which is the purpose of this Site. All of our rooms have either a patio (first floor) or a balcony. We do not guaranty either one. We try to honor all requests, but sometimes this is not possible. There was no request in your reservation, sent to us by a third party vendor, that you wanted a balcony. When you arrived, the front desk agent was correct in telling you that we had no other king rooms on the city side, which is what you booked. He moved you room to a higher floor so you could have a balcony. In order to do this, you had to go to the other side of the building, which a an upgrade and requires a fee. He waived the fee. Yes, there is music from across the water on the week ends. I'm surprised to know that here were jets skis out there after dark. For safety reasons, we shut our rentals down at 8 P.M. I am going to check on the legality of their being out there. Maybe we can get that stopped. We close the pool at 10 P.M. We have security. If we had known that there was anybody in the pool, we would have gotten them out. I'm a little surprised that parents would let their children into the pool, if it had bugs in it. Nobody else said anything to any of the staff about this and I've never witnessed it myself. I am going to make it a point to go out there a few times each night and see for myself. You're right. If it's a problem, we need to rethink the situation. I also appreciate your understanding of the behavior of other guests. Remember, we have security on duty. Just give the front desk a call. Another good point that you make is to READ CAREFULLY the information on Websites before you book. You may also want to call the hotel directly for clarification. I hope this clears up some things and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are passing through.

Amherst, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Let me start by explaining the "average" review.

This hotel is by any measure, "average" and that is exactly what I was expecting given the price.

However, based on the past reviews, I was expecting much worse. In my opinion, anyone slamming this hotel has unrealistic expectations. The rooms were nice enough, and clean enough for our family of four (traveling for a wedding in Tampa). Hulk Hogans restaurant was actually pretty good, with a friendly staff and good beverages. The kids enjoyed the pool, and I enjoyed the bar....

From a value standpoint, this really could be given a 4th star, as you cant beat staying somewhere for 2 nights under 200.

Now that being said, there are somethings the hotel could improve on:
1. The day we checked out, the power went out, so they could not check us out of the hotel and produce a receipt, but said it would be emailed. We did get it a few hours later and there was a mysterious $30 charge. I called the number for the hotel and hit "zero" for operator per the instructions and no one ever picked up.... not just once.... but 20 straight time. Same thing happened pre-trip when confirming the reservation...literally you cant get a person to answer the phone. Luckily we still had a family member there that went and straightened it out.

2. The cleaning of the rooms was slow, and we had to request clean towels a couple of times.

No huge deal on either one... If you go in with the right mindset, and have proper expectations for a $80/night hotel, you will be happy....

If you are looking for the Four Seasons, this isnt it, and that is your fault. :-)

Room Tip: We were on the inland side, so it is a view of the parking lot... lol... the bayside rooms looked...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear TheBrownHound,

Thank you. Thank you. You have expressed what I have been telling guests since the present company took over this hotel. You expressed it so well. Our goal is to offer value for your dollar. In response to your two concerns, Tampa Electric would not give us any specifics about the cause of the outage, but much of the Westshore business district was affected, so they worked as fast as they could. They were able to restore the power in about 45 minutes. When the power goes out, so do our telephones. When they came back on, we were backlogged with in coming calls. We were trying to get to you as soon as we could. I'm sorry there was a problem with your bill, but glad we were able to resolve it. I talked to a housekeeping supervisor about the towels and she showed me the boxes of new towels that just came in that they were in the process of unpacking. Once again, thank you for your comments and understanding. I hope we see you again soon.

Guest relations Manager
clearwater, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

needs a redo old and out of style , pool is a joke , two towels in the bathroom really !! rooms do have a nice view of the bay so great location ,really nice area ,hopefully they will tear in down and build a modern highrise that overlooks the bay

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BAYHARBOR, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Jeff Z,

I'm sorry our hotel wasn't to your standards. One of our former owners had the same idea as you. In order to tear the building down and put up a high rise, we would have to charge over 3 times what we charge now. We try to offer good rooms at an affordable price. We are a full service hotel in a convenient waterfront location. We don't charge a resort tax. Wi-Fi and parking for 1 vehicle per room are free. If you need more towels, all you have to do is call the front desk. Our swimming pool holds 53,000 gallons, which is considered adequate for a hotel of this size. We really appreciate your comments. We encourage guests to shop around. We want our guests to feel that they're getting a good value for their money. After comparing price vs. location vs. amenities, we hope you'll book again.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!