“Beautiful location Nice hotel Convenient to the airport” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7700 Courtney Campbell Cswy., Tampa, FL 33607 (Formerly Bay Harbor Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #76 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Locust Fork Alabama
“Beautiful location Nice hotel Convenient to the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at the Best western Bay Harbor Tampa Bay for 1 night. The location is beautiful. It's right on Tampa Bay. The hotel is very convenient to the Tampa airport. It's an older hotel but has been upgraded and is in good condition. We had no real problems and enjoyed our stay. If I had a couple of complaints the 1st would be that I booked this Hotel with Southwest.com because they ran a special for extra points which are important to us. The desk clerk at check in informed me that because I didn't book with best Western that I would not receive my points. I called the Best Westerns reward center and they said they would take care of it, We'll see. They allow smoking on the balconies. The hotel has a sign in the room that says if you smoke in the room you will be charged $250. Apparently the previous guest didn't read it because when I opened the door the stench of smoke nearly knocked me down. I went to the desk and they gave us a new room promptly. The 2nd room was ok but you could still tell that smoke had at least been nearby at some point. I wish they didn't allow smoking anywhere on the premises because a lot of smokers will not confine it to the balcony. Last is the bay side is very pleasant, with a pier. We just wanted to sit and relax on the water or pier. They have a Hogans Beach Bar and grill next door and another Bar and grill across the lagoon. Both places were competing to see who could play the loudest outdoor music. Their were a lot of young people having a great time but I'm middle aged + so I would have rather relaxed quietly by the bay. I know you can't please everyone and We were in the minority. The hotel has an overall party atmosphere which a lot of people enjoy. again, I would prefer to just relax quietly. I would recommend this hotel and I will stay their the next time I fly into the Tampa airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Upon arrival, we went to the restaurant for lunch. Our first experience was over hearing a customer telling a staff member they were leaving because they waited twenty minutes for service. After we were seated, we overheard people at a table nearby asking to speak to the manager because of the poor quality of the food. These people left shortly after, having eaten only a few bites of their food. Our meal arrived after about forty minutes. My wife's fish tasted horrible, and the hamburger I ordered was tasteless. I mentioned to the waitress that we were very unhappy with the food, and she offered no resolution to the problem. Upon receiving our bill and credit card receipt, the amounts were different, which she explained only after being questioned about the error. We were extremely unhappy with the service and quality of the food, but being the only restaurant in the hotel, we were forced to use it again in the morning. We put on our door handle a room service card that was made for breakfast service and asked for breakfast to be at 9:30, as were leaving at 11:30. At 10:00 I phoned the kitchen, as our breakfast had not yet arrived. I was told that they had never received our card, even though it was no longer on our door. I ordered exactly what I had put on the card over the phone to the girl who answered. We received the meal 45 minutes later, and wasn't even close to what we should have gotten. Thank goodness we were there for only one night. The restaurant has recently changed it's name to Hogan's Beach. The waitress told us that only one staff member was new, therefore the change of ownership cannot be blamed. Horrible experience which resulted in a very poor beginning to our much anticipated holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Erie, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here for a few days before and after a Christmas cruise 2012. I knew absolutely nothing about the Tampa area before this trip, so I did a lot of searching around on the internet to decide where to stay. This hotel had some good points and some not so good. We were in two different rooms on this trip.
I'll start with the good points first: The price was reasonable. The location was great for getting around to St. Petersburg, Clearwater, the airport & cruise port in Tampa, & Weeki Wachee (look it up!). The hotel offered free wifi and use of the two computers & printer in the lobby, a nice little convenience store on site, a shuttle service to the airport and shopping, and all points close by with very quick service. You will need a car if you're staying for longer than a day. Rocky Point is a bit isolated. You will have to pay a service to get to the cruise port $10.. per person, which is worth the price. The view was lovely, I was bummed it was too cold to swim in the nice pool or take part in the water sports just outside our window. The room itself was fairly large with prints of antique Tropical forests, and a pretty good flat screen tv. There was great views of fireworks on New Years they set off right from the beach.
The not so good points: Only one decrepit elevator worked, and took forever to go the total of what, 6 floors? The bed was lumpy, the furnishings were wearing out, some pretty badly. The one room had rust on the bathroom racking and tub bars, the other had a plugged sink that wasn't dealt with. That's also where the bar fridge was, on the floor under the sink. Right where you brush your teeth, so be prepared for some toe stubbing. One day we left a bit late, so the room wasn't serviced at all, and we had to call housekeeping to get towels when we got in that evening. We also discovered that the balconies have absolutely no privacy whatsoever. If you're out there you can see into the next guy's room. Don't be naked anywhere near the windows! Make sure you lock the windows when you go out. We were there at the same time "bentgal13" was and we experienced the same problems as she did, to the letter. I would recommend staying here before a cruise but not after. You won't get near your room for hours if you try to check in before 3pm. The food sucked royally at Crabby Bill's on the first leg of the trip, then the name changed while we were away to Hogan's Beach. OMG way over priced crap! The food came ice cold! We had to send stuff back. Unfortunately, there's little to choose from in the area, being that the hotel is pretty isolated. Take the shuttle to a liquor store and order takeout.

Room Tip: Ask to face the bay for the view. The music is fairly loud so ask to be on the end farthest away fr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed at the Bay Harbour hotel for 6 nights in December 2012. The hotel was very comfortable, nice clean, large room. I had a city view but try and get a room overlooking the water as it is lovely (Although you may get some music from Whisky Joe's Bar). There is no free breakfast, although Crabby Bills Restaurant is adjoining the hotel where you can buy breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located on the causeway which will take you to straight to Clearwater and down to St Petersburg. The juntion of I-4 and I-75 are also very close. The airport is literally minutes away and so is very easy to get to if you are coming into Tampa by air, but you cannot hear any airport noise from the room. There are vending/ice machines and also a microwave which is very convenient on floors. Parking is free in their very large car park. There is no guest laundry in this hotel, only a laundry service. On the whole, would recommend this hotel if visiting this area..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here pre-cruise (12/21/12-12/23/12) in a room with two beds on the 6th floor and had a great experience, hotel arranged transportation for us and the other guests who were going to the Tampa cruise port - the cost was $20 per person roundtrip. The only issue we had was at Crabby Bill's restaurant, you needed a chisel to get through the pancakes but the waitress quickly fixed that when we let her know.
Then we stayed post-cruise (12/30/12-1/2/13) in a room with two beds on the 4th floor and thats when everything went downhill and thats what is making me write this review. Before we left on our cruise we were told we could get an early check-in on our return trip - well that never happened as we got to the hotel at 10:30am and had to wait closer to 2:30pm in the lobby for a room. Then when we get up to our room neither key works so that forces us to go back downstairs into a long line of people who are also coming back from the cruise or coming for the Outback Bowl.

Then we go out New Year's Eve and when we return to the hotel around 9:45pm we are stuck in a long line of traffic on the road because the hotel is hosting a New Year's Eve party/Grand Opening of the new restaurant Hogan's Beach. We were in this particular line for about 45 minutes, which I find completely unacceptable. We saw people with young children hopping out of cabs and cars with small children trying to get into the hotel. We finally get into the parking lot and man doing valet asks for money ($5) and we told him No thanks, we'll go self-park the car.

I went to the front desk several times and asked to speak with a manager, every single time I was told that no one was available - which I find quite bizzare because at every hotel I've ever stayed at morning, noon, or night there has always been a manager to speak with. Upon checking out, the lady at the front desk was going to comp us lunch in the restaurant but we declined - we just wanted to get out quick.

Pros: shuttle service (the drivers were helpful & friendly) and gift shop in lobby
Cons: too many to name - extremely slow elevator, slow computers, restaurant

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BAYHARBOR, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear bentgal13,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I apologize, on behalf of our entire team, for the unsatisfactory experience you had.

Our check-in time is 3:00 PM and we are unable to guarantee check-in prior to that time. I understand your frustration, but the room keys can be deactivated simply by being placed to close to a cell phone. The grand opening of Hogan's Beach led to a higher turnout than was expected on New Year's Eve and we apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Also, if a manager is unavailable at the moment and you leave us a message, we promptly respond to our guests' concerns.

We hope you will consider staying with us again. Please feel free to call the hotel to further discuss or contact me directly at fom@bayharbortampa.com.

Kind Regards,

Chevonne Cottle-Forde
Front Office Manager, BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Bay Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!