“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Connecticut
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

Very clean, and comfortable hotel. Excellent service and amenities. We requested additional coffee for the room and the front desk called to confirm we received it. There are 2 beautifiul pools and a romantic gazebo on the bay you can bring drinks to and watch the sunset. The food in the lobby restaurant was okay; we did not try the other two upscale restaurants on the property. I would def. stay again.

• Liked — Nice setting; friendly staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

931 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

I stayed at the Tampa Grand Hyatt for business for 3 nights. and attended business meetings in the hotel during the day. I asked for a room facing the water and I was pleased to receive one. The room was newly renovated and the bed was very comfortable. I had only two issues during my stay:

1. The housekeeping service did not clean the rooms very well. I accidently dropped a granola bar on the floor and threw it away, but there were still crumbs on the floor. The crumbs stayed on the floor for 3 days, the housekeeper did not vacuum my room. The crumbs were by the garbage can, so he/she had to see the crumbs when emptying the trash.

2. The Hyatt had some party out on the patio one night, obviously for a client who paid for it. The music & the DJ were so loud, that I could hear it very clearly in my room. Even with my tv on and the AC on, you could hear this awful music. Not only that, but they were doing karaoke!! My room was on the 9th floor and about 100 yards away from the pool, it was unbelievable how loud it had to be for me to hear it in my room! I was angry because it was past 10pm at night so I called the front desk and asked when the music was going to stop and the man said "right now". However, it still went on for about another 30 minutes. It was very disturbing. Plus, I was hosting a meeting with about 20 other people from around the globe, who were jet lagged and they could not sleep. It made me look like a bad host.

Overall, I was pleased with my stay, giving it an average rating. However, I feel that the cost is too much for this hotel. The best thing about this hotel is the view.

Stayed November 2006
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

We stayed at this Hyatt while attending a wedding in Tampa. Our room was very nicely appointed with a view of the bay and the property was very well kept. We had requested an early check in at 1:00 pm but arrived at 12 noon and our room was ready. The front desk personnel were cheerful and efficient. We would definately return to this hotel if traveling to Tampa again.

Stayed November 2006
Terschelling west
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

Great Hotel close to the Airport and the westshore area. Twenty minute drive to Busch gardens. They gave us a casita room which was very nice and clean and also very quiet. It was a five minute walk from the main building to the casita's. Only strange thing is that our room was never cleaned before 4PM. We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Liked — The casita room.
  • Disliked — The noise of the plane's while at the pool.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure they give you a casita !
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

I am shocked at the review below. I have stayed at this hotel many times the past 2 years. I have never experienced anything except clean rooms and top notch customer service. I travel a lot and stay in hotels all around the country. This hotel definitely lives up to Hyatt standards that I am used to and should not be overlooked. I even bumped into a celebrity in the elevator during one stay....

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
las vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

We checked in at 2:30 a.m. Front desk clerk was in a side room off the front desk and did not acknowledge us for some time, until we shouted over to her. Despite our request weeks in advance and re-request day prior to arrival for a high level non smoking room king, we received a high level room with a view of the parking lot. We did not expect the lack luster view as there was big mention on the site that the hotel was next to a nature reserve. Room also seemed worn and old.

We came back down and asked to change rooms. The front desk operator was courteous and offered another room with a view, but, it would have 2 queen beds. It would be on the “club” level, but we couldn’t have club privileges. Why the negative? We accepted as it was very late.

The room seemed as though it may have been nice in it’s heyday, but was now, plain and worn and it appears that a lot of cost cutting actions are in place. It appeared that the hotel staff were not very motivated or interested.

a. The carpets were dusty in the corners.

b. The room doors seem to have been repainted, as there were splashes & spots of paint that had tried to be removed, but made yellowish patches on the carpet immediately inside the door.

c. The lamps in the room and bathroom were all very dusty.

d. Mall shuttle was infrequent. We sat in the lobby waiting to hear an announcement for the shuttle. Non was made. We went to the doorman who said we were supposed top be outside waiting (are we psychic?) and bus had gone. This attitude aggravated us. He then said, “No. You are lucky it is still here”. Why make such statements? Shuttle driver was very friendly and helpful, but, missed the mall and went to the airport on “autopilot”. Genuine mistake, but, another indication that there is no focus on customer service quality.

e. Concierge desk was closed during our whole stay. We asked front desk for driving directions to ybor city and opening times & shuttles for Busch gardens. The front desk seemed hassled checking out a convention and couldn’t help us. Gave us a photocopy map and that was it.

f. Pools both looked cloudy and we chose not to use them because of this.

g. Went to the spa and was told that spa/jacuzzi was closed, but, sauna was available.

h. Coffee bar was closed although the restaurant staff were accommodating to get coffee.

We ate at Oystercatchers for lunch. It was a very pleasant view and the food was moderate to good. Again the menu selections seem dated and old fashioned. They could do so much more by having a creative menu for low carb, low fat, or healthy options. The room appeared to be faux painted in a very amateur way. Not what we would expect for a hyatt property restaurant.

Please take our comments as critique to improve the property.

Maybe we just got unlucky, but, that should not be the case.

By contrast, the hyatt at Orlando greeted us with a glass of champagne, tour of the hotel by bellman, clean rooms, lots of added values.

As a side note, we visited the Marriott at Waterside after our cruise. This property is elegant inside, clean and much better value (in our opinion ) than the Hyatt.

Overall. I believe the Grand Hyatt needs a complete interior overhaul and serious cleaning to maintain hyatt standards and invest time in your staff and get them a hyatt customer service training.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness and poor service
  • Tips/Secrets — go elsewhere. marriott at waterside maybe.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

We booked a three night stay at the Tampa Bay Grand Hyatt and my overall experience was very pleasant. The property is located about two miles from the Tampa Airport tucked away on a nature reserve. The Hyatt website has excellent directions to the hotel that must be followed in detail (otherwise you will get lost). The property appears to be no less than 10 years old and very well maintained for a large conference style hotel. Our room was 300+ square feet with plenty of space for two double beds and two baby cribs to handle a growing family of four. There are three restaurants on the property: Armani's, Oyster(something?) and Petey(whatever?). The breakfast buffet in Petey(?) was excellent with good food and great service.

There is free parking and valet parking available, however, I highly recommend the free option in the shared office/hotel parking deck. I observed the valet guys doing risky manuevers in some unsuspecting guest's vehicle. Therefore, I would not trust them with my personal vehicle or rental car.

With the help of a road map, mapquest.com or the Concierge service, the off property shopping, dining and attraction areas are all within a close 5 miles driving distance and beyond. We visited Ybor City, St. Petersburg, International Plaza, downtown Channelside and drove 45 minutes to Orlando to visit Sea World. Tampa has alot of quality hotels near the International Plaza and downtown Channelside/Waterside Marina areas. However, on my next trip to Tampa, I will strongly consider returning to the Grand Hyatt.

• Liked — The clean quiet rooms, breakfast buffet, free parking and location
  • Disliked — Limited selection of men's wear in gift shop.
  • Tips/Secrets — The well equiped fitness center is hidden away on the lower levels and the Oyster(?) Restaurant is behind the property near the Casitas.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!