“Not that impressed” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh
“Not that impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

Service was great, which is VERY important however everything else wasn't so hot. The linens were terrible and rough, had a suite and it was outdated. The most upsetting part of the stay was the pool! The pool pictures provided on their website were NOTHING like the pool in person. Also, I love laying poolside and was unable to 2 out of the 3 days there. No room at the pool. It was so crowed and not enough seats. VERY disappointed. Won't go back there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

932 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Stayed for just one night (4 of us total) which i had booked on Priceline for a ridiculously low price of $48 plus tax. There is a lot of construction going on on the interstates around the place so finding the exit was a little confusing. But none the less, print out directions and look for the blue sign that says Grand Hyatt hotel and you will be fine. Check-in was a breeze. Kind of embarrassed that i paid such a little amount at such a nice place. Got a room on the third floor with a gorgeous view....of the parking garage and roof....but if you plastered your cheek up again the window, you could see the Bay! :) No worries though, we were only staying for the night and for the price i didn't expect much. The room was very nice and updated. The bathroom was fairly big and also clean and updated. The only complaint was the bed. The linens used felt like plastic to me and they made a loud crinkling noise everytime you turned over. Plus i wouldn't have considered the bed itself the most comfortable--a little hard i thought. We did take the "scenic" walk to Oyster Catchers restaurant for a pre dinner drink and an appetizer. The nice lady at check in told us they have happy hour from 5-7, but when we arrived, the bartender told us it was only Mon-Fri...and this was Saturday. A lot disappointed, we still decided to have a few drinks and to our surprise, the bartender came back and told us that he asked his manager and he would honor the 2 for 1 drinks and 1/2 priced appetizers for us. So we ordered 2 appetizers and 4 drinks. We spent about an hour there then headed to dinner on Clearwater Beach. This restaurant is certainly beautiful at sunset...perfect view...unfortunately, we didn't get to wait around. Upon our return from dinner, we stopped at the front desk and asked for water and the desk clerk promply gave us about 6 small bottles of water...thought that was first class!! Because everything was prepaid, upon checkout, i easily slid my credit card in the express check out machine and it gave me a receipt for $0.
Everything was fantastic at the hotel minus the beds...if i had to stay here again, i would, just wouldn't want to pay full boat which i think was around $200/night. But overall, the experience was wonderful and i would recommend it for just about anyone!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

Was lucky to land the Grand Hyatt for a south-of-$50 bid on Priceline for a Friday and Saturday night in mid-April. I think the time of year, bad economy and all the nearby road construction all contributed to that luck, so I doubt that costs that low will be around for very long.

Check-in was fast and, incredibly, they gave me a 7th floor bayview room (first "view" room I'd EVER gotten on a Priceline bid). It was spacious, overlooked the causeways and could have some good sunset views.

The outdoor pool and pool bar were well-attended that afternoon and had good drink service. The jacuzzi, though, was too small for a hotel of the size and would start feeling crowded at more than 4-5 people.

Parking was in a deck. Road access could be tricky because of all the construction nearby, especially if approaching from the Tampa side (get to the left, then to the far right). But I'm sure hotel management has been none too happy with the effect of the construction on business, and the temporary signage for the exits helpfully does include signs to point people to the right exit and in the right direction for the hotel.

I'm not a great user of the things that would differentiate a 4-star hotel from a 3-star, but visually they appeared to be present. A doorman, wide room service availability, some in-house upscale restaurant choices, etc. Am sure it's also a leading choice for the better conferences, and there were one or two on while I was there. The boardwalk through the mangrove sanctuary to the gazebo was a nice bonus.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Dover, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

A number of people have complained about the casitas. If you want to be near business services, close to the main restaurant and bar, or are intolerant of Mother Nature affecting your trip, don't pick a casita. If you want more of a resort feeling, do.

I loved my casita. Tile instead of carpet and the gabled ceiling made it feel like a bigger space. But there are two big catches. If it rains (not drizzles), one of your doors will probably leak. My floor had stains from previous leaks, but the afternoon it rained I had no leaks, while due to the wind direction the people on the opposite side of the row of casitas did. When the wind is blowing from other than the normal direction, the airport runway closest to the casitas will be used for take-offs. This only happened one day, but it made telephone calls from outside impossible.

Unfortunately, the hotel is quite isolated, so it is quite a drive to get to a store to pick up basics like beverages and snacks. The area labeled 'vending' had no vending machines, so room service became a necessity for me. The food was excellent and arrived quickly, and the servers were fantastic, but all of that was attached to standard room service (high) prices. The kitchens were very flexible when I wanted something that was not on the menu. Oystercatchers, a very good restaurant, is a very short walk, my drinks were about $10 each. The couple at the table next to me said their dinner for two, with drinks, was $90 (before tip). My room service meals were never more than $40, everything included.

Had there been a printer closer than the main hotel, it would have been a perfect location for the project and presentation I was working on. The web site reads like you can rent a printer for your room, I didn't inquire. You can grab a printer for $50 at a big box store when you go out to pick up beverages and snacks. Or you can just select a casita for a relaxing vacation with the isolation, great service, and great view for which they were intended.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Princeton Junction NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

We just got back from a professional association conference at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. As someone who speaks regularly at conferences, I wasn't looking forward to going to another hotel near an airport - but we were in for a real treat. First, the property is gorgeous, never mind the 30 seconds of inconvenience getting past the road construction. We ate all of our meals on site, which were excellent. But most of all, I can't say enough nice things about the wait staff. I've given a lot of talks over the past 25 years and am used to showing up at the meeting room before 7 am to get set up. But, this was one of those rare occasions where absolutely everything was set up and working when I got there. And the first time the gentleman setting up the continental breakfast outside the room came in to not only greet me and ask if there was anything he could do for me, but also asked if he could bring me some coffee and something to eat (which I gratefully accepted.) This same gentleman greeted me again at lunch and asked how my talk went. This same level of atttentive but not in your face service was consistent throughout our visit. Our sleeping room was nice but the best part was the incredibile view of the bay. I would recommend this hotel for your next event.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

When I arrived I was upgraded to a villa by the water, which was actually very nice. They are a good distance from the main building, however, and there are two ways to get there if you don't have a rental car. There's a complimentary shuttle or you can take what's described as a half-mile "nature walk", which is a plankway over the mangroves that dot this part of Tampa Bay. I suppose it's interesting but the hotel should warn non-Floridians that walking for 15 minutes in a mangrove swamp at dusk risks death by a thousand mosquito bites. (Not 2 or 3, or I would not have complained). I mentioned this to the front desk staff, who asked me if I would prefer to stay in the main hotel and upgrade to the Regency Club. Nothing else about the Hyatt was particularly memorable-- it's a Hyatt, and it's nice for an airport hotel-- but I thought that their handling of a fairly minor complaint was very generous.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

It's a little tricky to get to with the road construction nearby, but once you're there, you won't want to leave! It's a nice hotel with great restaurants and resort-like casitas on the same property. Pools.. a boat dock... even a nature walk... it's beautiful!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!