“Great stay, tons of amenities!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #15 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great stay, tons of amenities!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in January of 2014. We had to book a room last minute as we decided to travel to Tampa from Florida's east coast to see some friends who flew into Tampa. We settled on the Grand Hyatt and are glad that we did. Since we had our dog with us, we were placed in one of the newly remolded casitas located on the south end of the property. No joke, the particular room we stayed in is probably the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. A comfortable king sized bed, modern, clean furnishings, a huge shower and French doors that opened up to our own patio were just some of the perks of our stay. We dined at Oystercatchers and the bar in the main hotel. Both had great food and good beer on tap. One of the beer selections was Cigar City Brewing's Jai Alai. What a delight! A few other perks were the pool area, waterside fire pit, hammocks and beautiful walking trails. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a little more privacy, opt for the casitas.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for having stayed with us! I am so happy to hear that you had a great stay at the hotel and enjoyed the facilities we had to offer. I hope you return soon to enjoy some more of the Jai Alai!

Warm Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations

958 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I booked this last minute on a third party site and got a great deal for a Saturday stay. I live in the area and I hadn't been to the property since it was renovated and was very pleasantly surprised. First off, I must say the customer service here is impeccable. From the moment I stepped out of my vehicle I was greeted by the bell staff who ushered me to the great front desk clerks. The housemen who got me a bottle opener, the pool attendants/bartenders - all were great - very friendly. Free parking was also nice along with free wi-fi and bottles of water. (I was told it was Customer Appreciation month)

The guestroom was nicely decorated and clean, the bed was very comfortable and there was a refrigerator to keep the drinks cool. We were on the side facing the airport and I was surprised that the airport noise was not as bad as anticipated - if you want a view I would recommend the other side of the property facing Tampa Bay. We went to the pool by Oystercatchers restaurant and it was a really nice setting - chaise lounges with umbrellas, a mini beach/sandy area and some hammocks in the shade. A nice touch was that they were providing mini bottles of water and iced fruit kebabs throughout our visit. My only negative was that we each had 2 Daquiris and the bill was $60.00! I really wouldn't have a problem paying that much if they were worth it in size/taste but they came in mini, plastic cups - not worth it.

All in all, I will definitely be back but there are a lot of options for drinking and dining off site via a short taxi ride if you want to save a little money on food.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I live in Tampa Bay, yet this is one of our favorite hotels to "get away". Near the airport with a shuttle, VIEWS that rival anywhere in the world and two of the best special restaurants in the state, Oyster Catchers and Armanis....truly memorable. The rooms are spacious with big windows overlooking the bay and bay bridges, or back to the city skyline.

Room Tip: We prefer the Bay view suite for long weekend stays. The corners are our favorites and if you get on...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Having just read the previous reviews and having stayed in other "Grand Hyatt Resorts" I think now that disappointing is a little under stated.
We were meeting our daughter having not seen her or our grandsons for months, my daughter tried on four occasions to reserve two rooms, she was unable to, the reservation was finally made through Amex who were very happy to assist even though the hotel were not able to reserve us a room??
My husband explained this on arrival we were not able to have a casita. The rooms were fine.
We were given a credit for breakfast which was an extremely busy affair our table unfortunately had an unclean smell, my husband did not even attempt breakfast, my daughter had a hair in her porridge when we explained this on checkout the receptionist said 'oh I am sorry ' .
No we would not return as at this particular resort we did not find the normal service that you find at a Hyatt.

Room Tip: High level
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a weekend in June to attend a wedding. Very easy access to Tampa, St Petersburg, shopping malls. Free parking in the hotel lot was very much appreciated for me and my visitors. Just drive in!

The facilities in the hotel including pool/sun loungers, small beach area, boardwalk and gazebo, gym and lobby were really great and the trip was wonderful.

The breakfast buffet was great, the personalised omelette I had both mornings was outstanding and the breakfast room table service was notable in that it was extremely calm and friendly. The staff made time to say hi and chat briefly which was most appreciated.

Overall I couldn’t fault this hotel and would chose this destination and hotel again in view of the superb service and amenities.

Room Tip: View of the bay is a nice feature
Green Features: Fantastic board-walk/gazebo and bayside beach area which is just stunning.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is truly a beautiful hotel. I was quite impressed with it. The staff was excellent. They exceeded our already high expectations. The room was so nice and very comfortable. It was large for a downtown hotel. I am looking forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Craig, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This place was amazing, beautiful and relaxing. We came to Tampa from Colorado for a wedding at the end of may 2014 and booked a room at the Hyatt. Arrival was late, around 10, but when we called the hotel they said they would be happy to send a shuttle to pick us up. Five minutes later the shuttle arrives, the driver loads our luggage and after offering us ice cold bottled water, which was much needed, off we went to the hotel. I have stayed in Hyatt's before so I kind of had an expectation, all I can say is this Hyatt lived up to every one of them. People were opening doors for us, smiling and greeting us as we walked by and the check-in was seamless and quick.
I really need to start writing down names because some of these people were going completely out of their way to make us comfortable. From the shuttle drivers to the maids to the guys driving back and forth between the casitas and the hotel...in golf carts...classic, everyone was friendly and helpful.
The best part was this....after exploring a bit, we discovered the casitas, small house like buildings just down the road from the main hotel yet still part of Hyatt. There are probably 50 of them and they are set out by the bay. The housekeeper graciously let us look in one of them and we were set, we wanted one, besides, this was where the majority of the wedding party was staying. We went to the front desk and not only did they set us up with one, they set up our friends who traveled with us with one as well, no hassle, no nothing, you want it, you got it.
Oystercatchers is also on the property by the casitas and is very good, yet very pricey....what the heck, you're on vacation right?? At the casitas there was a great pool with lots of action, the flowers were blooming hardcore and the grass was a rich green, lush.

My recommendations:
1. Get a casita, they are well worth it. If you don't like bugs, snakes, lizards and these cute little fiddler crabs, stay in the main hotel and off any of the paths. They are harmless but bountiful.
2. Bring lots of money. The bar in the hotel was ridiculously overpriced for what you get, but we were hungry, thirsty and really didn't care. Total for five people, drinks and some finger food, was well over $100. OysterCatchers is quite pricey as well but worth every penny. We went in shorts, polo tops and flip-flops and were greeted and attended to like we were wearing our tuxedos and gowns.
3. Finally, if the drone of jets taking off and landing grates on your nerves, well, find a different hotel. It did seem though that they did not takeoff in the middle of the night, started up around 7am and seemed to quit around 10pm. Maybe I just got used to it but it never bothered me.

Go, stay, relax, eat great seafood (recommend the grouper, yum), sit by the pools and enjoy the pampering.
Not sure if I will ever be back in Tampa ever again but you can bet your behind I will be staying here.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms cost extra. Casitas are $15 more than a regular room, worth it!! Just ask, smile...
Green Features: Not a huge environmentalist so I did not notice much but I am sure there was plenty going on. They did have waste containers that were divided, one for trash, one for recycling. That works for me.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!