“Could not tell about everything” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #11 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Could not tell about everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here for one night so I could not tell you about everything. This hotel is in a very good and safe location. I got a mililtary discount so I ended up paying $112 for a night!!! Right near the airport. The staff was very friendly. My room had a wet spot in the corner of the room. Internet is not free which is a major inconvenience. TV was not set up in HD (supposed to be a 4 star hotel so tv has to be up to date). Beautiful skyline view of the airport, highway, and surrounding body of water. The room does not have a fridge. Beds are extremely comfortable, soft, and allows a person to get to sleep well. Has nice nature and palm trees on the inside and outside of the hotel. The lobby is huge and vast, comfortable to sit and relax for a little bit. Multi level parking lot which is free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

While near the airport this hotel also offers beautiful grounds, great rooms, waterfront and great restaurants. We came in for an event and stayed 2 nights and everything was fantastic. Oystercatchers restaurant food, ambiance, and staff were amazing. This entire place has a terrific vibe. As an airport hotel its in a league of its own. Rooms nice, clean, and very modern.

• Stayed March 2013
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Staff are very friendly, accommodating and helpful. Very nice location and picturesque. The restaurant provides good food although it is not inexpensive. We enjoyed our two night stay here. I'd recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. It gives me great pride reading you kind comments of our staff and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! - Ryan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay while I was traveling to see Phillies Spring Training in Clearwater. What impressed me most about my stay was the wonderful staff. Every single person that we came into contact with - whether the shuttle driver, a waiter at one of the restaurants, or the front desk staff - was incredibly friendly and helpful, going above and beyond. The location was also fantastic - just a 5 minute shuttle drive from the airport, but remote enough that it had its own quiet, private beach on the bay.

The room was clean and spacious - we upgraded to the bay view and it was well worth it. The view (especially sunsets) from our hotel room were breathtaking. It's my understanding that the hotel was recently renovated, and you could tell. The furnishings were modern and inviting (I even took a photo of the wallpaper, I loved it that much).

There are two pools on the premises, but I was given the heads up by the front desk staff that the pool by the casitas had the most unblocked sun and also a small private beach. It was AMAZING! To get to the pool, you take a short walk down a "boardwalk," which they've made to also be a little nature walk. The pool and beach were not busy at all during my stay (maybe because it's a bit more hidden than the other pool that is located right outside of the hotel lobby), and they were both beautiful. They're located right next to Oystercatchers, one of the on-site restaurants, so we went there two days for lunch and ate on the outdoor deck - excellent service, delicious food, great view, and within steps of the beach/pool. Oystercatchers also offers a "pool menu" - a bit more limited on the options, but definitely worth it if you'd rather eat by the pool or on the beach (the Mango Daiquiri is a must!).

There is also a free shuttle from the Tampa airport to the hotel, and service is prompt (a quick call to the hotel from baggage claim, and the shuttle is on its way to pick you up - it runs every half hour, but I never had to wait more than 10 minutes after placing the call). I also rented a car one day to drive to Clearwater, and used a rental company at the airport, knowing that I could take advantage of the free shuttle service offered by the hotel. The shuttle dropped us off to the rental company and picked me up after I returned the car - so it was completely hassle-free.

The free shuttle also brings guests from the hotel to two local shopping complexes. We took it to International Plaza one night and had dinner at one of the restaurants there (the free ride definitely beat the $75 round-trip cab fare we paid the night before for a cab to take us to Ybor for dinner). International Plaza has a pretty large outdoor area with a good amount of restaurants to choose from (so it's not like you're eating at a food court - though they have one of those too).

We took advantage of the hotel's breakfast buffet one day (though they had moved it from their usual location in Petey Brown's to their upstairs restaurant, Armani's - which was beautiful! Dinner at Armani's was a bit too pricey for our budget this time around, so it was nice to be able to see it during breakfast hours.). The buffet was $18/pp and had a huge choice of food (omelet bar, pastries, breakfast meat, etc.). We also had room service delivered one morning - service was prompt, and the food was really good (I recommend the Nutella waffles!).

We had a wonderful stay, the only complaint was that it was too short. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and would recommend it to anyone traveling to the area (and for anyone going to Spring Training in Clearwater, the drive was quick -- only about 20 minutes away). You can't beat the location (close to the airport, but still the feeling of still staying at a more remote resort), on-site amenities, and -- above all -- phenomenal staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Wow, thank you for taking the time to provide such a thoughtful and detailed review. It’s fantastic to read about your experience. I’ll be sure to share all of your kind words with our staff. It sounds like you really enjoyed the location and found the hotel to be well appointed. We have several dining options for guests to choose from. I’m glad that you enjoyed your Bay view room. Our hotel offers breathtaking views. I really appreciate all the feedback you have provided. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. I hope that we can welcome you back to our property for a longer stay in the near future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Estero, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've visited the Grand Hyatt a few times for dining (Oystercatchers and Armani's are some of the best restaurants in Tampa), but I just stayed overnight for the first time. One word: wow. I love the location - 10 minutes from the airport, 15-20 minutes from downtown/South Tampa. But, more importantly, the service was spectacular. Upon check-in, I was informed we had been upgraded to the Presidential Suite due to my Platinum Hyatt status. Out of all the hotel loyalty programs I have status with, Hyatt is by far the best at upgrades. The room was incredible (check out my pictures!) The views of Tampa Bay from this hotel can't be beat (even if you aren't in the Presidential Suite!) We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I’m thrilled that you had a fantastic stay at our property. It is great to hear that you found the staff and their service to be top notch. We have a great staff that prides themselves on creating a memorable experience for our guests. I’m glad that you enjoyed the upgrade. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay in the near future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel is located in a very good area in Tampa. The service was good, especially in the morning buffet.

The restaurant on the 14 store is very good with a beautiful view.

The thing that bather us very much was a noise coming from the elevator? My colleague ask for help, regarding the noise and no one came.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hyatt in Tampa Bay. We had a bay-view king room as part of a weekend package. Self-parking was super easy and convenient (also, free). Internet cost $26 for 3 days, which is not free, but not the worst we've ever paid. We ordered breakfast in bed every day, and our food was brought promptly at the designated time. The concierge was great at providing recommendations, and going above and beyond to meet our needs. For example, we needed to pack a rather large souvenir that didn't fit in our bag. Five minutes later, we were provided with duct tape and a garbage bag.

The newly renovated rooms were really comfortable and clean. My only complaint is the way they make their beds. They don't have fitted sheets for the bed, and use two flat sheets in lieu of a duvet cover. They tuck everything under the mattress, so we ended up untucking all the sheets when we got in.

The pools and grounds are really well maintained and beautiful. We felt like we were in a tropical resort.

The food at Oystercatchers (dinner) and Petey Brown (breakfast) were both pretty good. My only complaint would be the overly familiar/casual service. Don't get me wrong, the servers were nice, but perhaps lacked professionalism. We also tried to get desserts and a drink on the terrace at Armani's. We were told that they did not serve on the terrace, but that if we ordered inside, they would bring it out. They then changed their minds and said that someone would serve us on the terrace. We went out there, waited for 15 minutes, and then left. Very strange.

Room Tip: The rooms with the views on the bay were great.