“Nice hotel, not for light sleepers” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #13 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
michael30309
“Nice hotel, not for light sleepers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel that seems more fitting for business/conferences than leisure. Rooms were large, clean and recently updated. My bay front room provided picture-worthy views, particularly during sunset, and the room amenities (mini fridge, numerous electrical outlets, new TV, etc) were better than many four star hotels I've encountered. Fantastic gym, decent locker room and pool (although the pool area was limited in size). Also, the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

Two areas were a bit lacking for me. First, I found it frustrating that the pool area did not have any wireless availability. For $10/day, you would expect wifi throughout premises.
Secondly, the room walls are very thin. I could hear my neighbors' pleasurable evening as if I were in the room with them. Also, I could hear people in the hallways from my room, and from the hallways could hear conversations from those in rooms. If you're a light sleeper, I would think twice about staying here. If you're holding a business call from your room, I would keep your voice down.

Overall, for the price (~120/night) this hotel was excellent.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Watchung, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

It has been a little over a year since we last stayed here to visit with friends and family. The hotel is very nicely appointed and we will stay here again. Unfortunately, they had overbooked the rooms with kingsize beds, but the staff went out of their way to make up for it. An A+ rating for the front desk staff! The breakfast buffet is excellent and the location is very convenient. They also ran a special, stay two nights and the third is free with breakfast included, which made it a great bargain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I really appreciate that you took the time to share your recent experience with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed our hotel and found the front desk staff to be very accommodating. I’m glad that they were able to make up for your bed type not being available. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Tallahassee, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My last visit was two years ago, and while I continue to love the Casita (little house) option situated among wetlands and enjoy the location being near Hyde Park shopping, good restaurant choices, and Ruth Eckerd Hall, I was a bit dismayed at the decor change. Gone is the tropical feel of the Casita, and in its place is Euro-minimalist sleekness. It not only is less comfortable but seems cluttered. The ubiquitous work station now takes up space that an easy chair occupied. Since I wasn't working, but playing, I preferred it before. Useless benches are at the foot of each bed, taking up even more space. The one upholstered chair was uninviting, and the matching ottoman could not be placed where it could be used - no room. The colors are now beige and browns and seems masculine. I will continue to stay at this hotel because of the Casita and surrounding landscaping and patio, but I am not as enthusiastic as in the past.

Room Tip: Having the option of a Casita is the plus here as a high rise hotel is nothing special. The Casita...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past. We had the pleasure of staying here over the weekend for a company Christmas party at a local restaurant.

OUr room on the 12th floor was very modern having been recently renovated. The only issue that we could find was that you could hear the elevators going up and down.... Not a biggie for us as we do not like complete silence when we sleep. Some people might find this unacceptable and owuld prefer a room farther down the hall.

The hotel seems clean and the staff are very friendly.

The breakfast buffet in the restuarant is a little limited, but you can order omelets and specialty eggs from the server. The hostess in the restaurant is very friendly and seems to really love her job.

This has become one of my favorite hotels in the Tampa Bay area. I will def. be back!

Room Tip: I always prefer a high floor. You may want to request a room far from the elevator and if you want...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. The view from our rooms on the 10th floor was amazing! We overlooked the bay towards Clearwater. At night it was just as beautiful. But more importantly, every single staff member gave superior service. The waiters in the hotel restaurants, the bellhops, the concierge, the front desk, even the staff members that opened the hotel entrance doors when you would leave and arrive. The hotel is centrally located to all the great malls, the highways, downtown Tampa and Clearwater. The grounds are extensive and beautiful. The rooms are sophisticated and roomy. And the restaurant on the top floor with a beautiful view is very classy. Would stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Get a high floor to get a great view of the water. The lower floors may be blocked by trees.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're delighted to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms and beautiful water views. We will be sure to pass your compliments on to our staff. We look forward to your next stay.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked this hotel due to the scenic location on the water so that we could have a vacation within our Thanksgiving family weekend in Tampa. The hotel overall was amazing. The room was probably the best I've seen in Tampa. Staff was super nice too. Only slight downfall was a mushy mattress. Still fully enjoyed the stay to the max. Would book again for sure as my #1 choice in Tampa.

Room Tip: Make sure it has vies on the bay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Your kind words are greatly appreciated. It’s always a pleasure to read when our guests have an amazing experience at our property. I’m glad that you found the hotel to be perfect and the staff to be very friendly. I’ll share your comments regarding the bed with our housekeeping staff. Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Tampa!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

The entire staff was amazing. From when we were picked up at the airport until when we checked out the entire staff was polite, informative and gracious. The best customer service at any hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!