“ONE DAY HOTEL STAY” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Tampa Downtown

You added Hilton Tampa Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Tampa Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   211 North Tampa Street, Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Hotel Tampa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Military Family Rate
Ranked #27 of 160 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Palm City, Florida
“ONE DAY HOTEL STAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

GREAT location in the heart of Tampa able to walk all around the city. Real pleasant experience. The college is directly across the waterway which you can walk to from the hotel. The staff real friendly the only difficult thing was parking the valet was full so we had to self park and I was charged twice on my credit card. Otherwise great place to stay in Tampa!!!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonTampaDowntown, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Greetings Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. It was nice to see that overall your stay was enjoyable. We apologize for being charged twice for parking, hopefully it was all taken care of. If not, please contact us.

Thank you for your comments, and we hope to see you back again soon.

Hilton Tampa Downtown - Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Once we checked in, I realized that they had given us coupons for the continental breakfast so I called the front desk. John W. answered and provided top notch guest service. He took care of the situation and offered us full breakfasts for both this stay and our stay one week later when we have another event at the University of Tampa. The buffet coupons were ready on the second check-in without any need to remind the different receptionist. I asked John W. if they had an executive lounge and was told no. I then said that we always receive the buffet breakfast when we stay at Hilton or Doubletree when there is no lounge. If they do add a lounge, I hope it is better than the one in St. Pete where we were upgraded, but the lounge only had a minimal high carb breakfast so we ended up eating somewhere on the way home since we were still hungry so I’d rather there not be a lounge if they are going to offer one like in St. Pete. The airport Hilton provides a few hot items, but I prefer a full breakfast and believe that Gold and Diamond members deserve such! The lounges need to have at least one meat and some kind of eggs; otherwise, one could stay at a Hampton Inn! The staff in the restaurant took good care of us on both visits, and I had eggs over medium both times plus a Swiss cheese egg white omelet the second time along with lots of bacon and some sausage. They brought coffee, juice, and water and made sure we had everything. We had better service the first time because there were only a few tables where as it was more crowded the second time where one table had our waitress running back and forth, but she was still good!
Our first stay was in Room 1444. It was at the end of the hall and faced east, I believe. When we first arrived, there was some renovation noise above us, but that ended around 5 pm, and we heard no more. The next morning I heard some shuffling above us but no “dentist drill” noise. It wasn’t too bad so no complaints. The room was small as in most Hiltons. We were told as Gold members to take the 2 bottles of $5 water at no charge. There was a coffee/tea area hidden away but no microwave. For an executive room, this needs to be added. The bathroom was small but had a comfortable tub with ample amenities provided. This had been a Hyatt for many years until recently so it hard to redesign the layout due to the size of the rooms. All of the furnishings were very modern. The television was nice but only received a few channels (Direct TV) so no Bay News 9 and only about 25 channels in total! Everyone on the staff was very professional. Because of our connection, we parked at UT to avoid the parking charge and found the walk between the hotel and campus very doable. It is much better than the Embassy Suites, which is about 3 times as far from UT plus the Embassy Suites is like a frat house on the weekends with all the cruise passengers, stag party boys, and sports fans! The Hilton doesn’t have a complimentary happy hour, and that can be a plus sometimes since it can attract a rowdy bunch. They should give their best guests a coupon or two for the fancy bar as they do at the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree Westshore because most of us would then have more drinks or buy appetizers.
Our second stay was in Room 1705. One thing missing in this room was a tub! This room had a sofa where as the 14th floor room didn’t. The view was to the north but was mostly blocked by the taller Fifth Third Bank Building. Other than that plus being 3 floors higher, there wasn’t much difference between the rooms. They had both been remodeled, I think.
In summary, I am giving this place a 4, which is a high mark for me. It is still new in the Hilton family, and once there are some additions like an Executive Lounge, a free shuttle to downtown restaurants and to the University of Tampa, for two examples, we might discuss a high enough 4 to be rounded up to a 5. The “old style” hotel rooms make it hard to create the comfort and “boutique” ambiance for a 5 unless they knock walls down and make 3 rooms into 2 or 2 into 1, but that limits the number of rooms and raises the price! Some hotels in Europe, especially in Paris, manage with such limited space, but it’s hard here. I have no major concerns and hope to be able to get decent rates in the future when I need to be close to UT. It certainly meets that criterion. We will be Diamond when we stay there in 2014 so it will be interesting to see how much more we are pampered!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings DisneyParis,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay. We are glad you experienced the great customer service of our staff, especially from John W.

We are building a lounge on the 16th floor and it should be ready by the end of the year/beginning of 2014.

We appreciate all your observations. We rely on our guests to let us know what areas to improve and your observations are taken constructively.

We are looking forward to seeing you again in 2014!

Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

What really blows me is that every other comment on this page gets a reaction from the hotel management, but when I complained about various issues several times during my 4-week stay (forced by business, not voluntary by any means) directly at the reception, no one ever bothered to get back to me in person (nor after I contacted the hilton guest line...). Having said that, front desk staff mostly reacted commendably, not their fault if management screws it up.
I stayed during the refurbishment, and while they have every understanding from me that amenities may not be top-notch during that time, you would expect that they make up for that with impeccable service. Far from it.
I guess the hotel is in a better shape by now, but if the service has not improved with it, I would highly advise against staying at this hotel.

Green Features: 200+ cards informing about the policy for re-use of towels were a waste of paper, since towels were changed every single day during my stay (one of the points I mentioned at reception).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HiltonTampaDowntown, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Greetings Xerxenia,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. It was very disappointing to read that we fell below your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing a high level of attentive guest service and we are very sorry that you received anything less.

We would like the opportunity to talk to you to more about your experience at our hotel and how we can make it better. Please contact our Rooms Executive, Randy Kuiken, at 813-204-3000. Your comments are very important to us. Again, we sincerely apologize.

Our goal is to regain your confidence in our services and staff and we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you again.

Brevard County, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights recently for a conference. Staff was exceedingly pleasant and helpful. We were on the 17th floor, which is the executive level but were told that the lounge was being renovated and would not be open til the end of the year. A little disappointing but, oh well. As Diamond members, we were given coupons for continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The upgrade to full buffet breakfast was $6 but the continental was adequate (although not anything special) for our needs. The wait staff in the restaurant was wonderful and extremely attentive. Our room was clean, spacious and newly renovated. Very comfortable bed, as always at the Hilton. Plenty of outlets for electronic devices. One minus, for me anyway, was the size of the bathroom. VERY tiny. Not adequate room, in my opinion, for all your travel necessities after stocking with towels etc. Maybe they could put up a shelf or two?? On the other hand, the shower was big and fabulous! The closet was also quite small and drawer space somewhat limited, but was OK for our stay. Housekeeping was timely and always friendly. They replenished everything each day and did a pretty thorough cleaning as well. To be commended! Tried the pool area one day but it was filled with smokers and so left pretty quickly. No pool bar or snack bar available although it was mentioned in the hotel literature. Now as for access to the area, a short walk puts you at the beginning (or end) of the trolley system, which goes all the way up to Ybor city and takes you through the Channelside area and to the FL Aquarium as well. Fares are $2.50 per ride or $5 for an all day pass. It runs every 20 minutes. A pretty good deal! Also the downtown area is full of restaurants of all kinds to satisfy just about every taste. On our last day, we were given a 2 pm checkout and when it was time to leave, the bellhop and valet were extremely helpful!! We very much enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Tampa Downtown and look forward to staying there again in the future!

Room Tip: 17th floor was exceptionally quiet
Greetings Tripsahoy16,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your comments about our hotel and staff.

We apologize for the inconveniences with the lounge not being ready, the bathroom, closet and drawers being small, and no pool bar. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We care about your observations.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again soon.

Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Downtown for a conference. It seemed like everything was "opening soon". The Starbucks, the gift shop etc. The pool area was nice but the jets in the hot tub did not work and the hotel guide in the room indicated a pool bar and there was not one anywhere around. Wi-Fi is not free unless you go to the lobby. There is not much around the area if you are walking to find something to eat. Ended up at a Subway and CVS store that was a block or two away. I heard from others that the cost of the food in the hotel restaurant was very high but I would assume that is what you would expect in hotel restaurants. The room was clean and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greetings mgkins,

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy to announce that our Starbucks is opened now! our gift shop will be opened by the end of the year. Right now more rooms are being renovated and our lounge on the 16th floor is still under construction. Our first floor is finished and we are very proud of it.

We apologize for the hot tub. We will forward your comment to our Engineering Department for immediate action. We also apologize for the inconvenience of not having free Wi-Fi and no pool bar.

Our city has a very good trolley system that you can take a block away from the hotel and it takes you to the Channelside area and Ybor City where you can find a lot of entertainment and more restaurants.

Should your travels bring you back to Tampa, we hope you decide to stay with us again.

Montverde, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had a good all around experience at this hotel. Nice and quiet room, wonderful service and the food was also above standard. Would recomment this hotel for any business or family traveler. Also, a great rate for a downtown hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greetings John S.,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your comments. It was nice to see you had a great stay.

We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Corning, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My staff and I were attending a conference, and were booked in a hotel down the road from the sight. We were not impressed with the neighborhood, the appearance of the hotel, or the front desk staff. I didn't even want to see the room - I thought the crew from Hotel Impossible was going to storm in! I booked the Hilton Tampa Downtown on my laptop from the other hotel. It was easy to get to, and when we arrived, the bell staff, the valet staff and the doorman met our every need from directions to where to get dinner. A pro football and a pro hockey team were staying in the hotel too (which added extra excitement). ANTONIO, at the door, is a riot and helped us with everything. Check in and check out were easy and extremely courteous. We enjoyed cocktails at the bar before dinner too. I would definitely return on my next trip to Tampa

Room Tip: This hotel is newly renovated. The upper floors have the best views. We were on the 17th floor in a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HiltonTampaDowntown, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Greetings Maureen C,

Thank you for staying with us. It was nice to see that you enjoyed your stay. We are happy you booked with us! Thank you for your comments.

We look forward to having you back again soon.