“As a Hilton Diamond member . . .” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Tampa Downtown

You added Hilton Tampa Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Tampa Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   211 North Tampa Street, Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Hotel Tampa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Outback Bowl Offer
Ranked #29 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, Florida
“As a Hilton Diamond member . . .”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

This place does not have the look, feel, or training as a Hilton Hotel. I have stayed at a lot of hotels. I have status at many of them, so I know a good hotel, this unfortunately is not one. From the moment we arrived to a clearly confused staff at the valet, where they told me to park, I would have been better off self parking. No assistance with my bags walking them a city block, only to walk into a hotel that is currently under renovation. So when I get to the front desk, which is not easy to find, an hour after I could have checked in, there was no room "in the system", and that they will have a room for me soon. So I gave them my number and they said they would call me...an hour and a half later I went back up to the desk and they told me that they called me an hour ago. I slammed my phone down on the counter and showed them that they were lying, as I was only 25 feel away at the restaurant with 4 bars of coverage on my phone. Now, there are only 4 elevators to service a large downtown hotel...so every time I had to use it, there was a huge line and packed elevator...and we were on the 10th floor, so it's not like we could walk up 10 flights of stairs with bags. Not very happy. Hilton just ought this property, they have their work cut out for them.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DOSHyattRegencyTampa, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Greetings Don-in-Tampa,

Thank you for staying with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience we caused you during your stay. We appreciate you bringing to our attention the Valet and Front Desk situation. Let me assured you that this is very unusual.

I have addressed your comments with our staff to prevent this from happening again. Thank you for letting us know.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Hilton Tampa Downtown - Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

ALERT:Some reviewers seem to think the renovations have already happened or are complete but they have not. They have just started the renovations, the hotel was only flagged as a Hilton in mid February 2013.

We stayed here for one night before the Gasparilla Half Marathon. This was a Priceline bid hotel for us, so we got a great deal. The hotel is a little older, but it has been kept up well. Hilton is putting in an $20 million dollar upgrade this summer, so it should look brand new in a few months. The hotel is about a block from the terminus of the TECO line street car and about 4 blocks from the convention center.

Check-in was slow. We arrived at about 6:00pm and there was only one person checking people in. There should have been 3. But he was friendly and apologized for the wait.

Rooms:
Smallish, but decent for a hotel downtown. Typical chain hotel with TV, desk, bed and night stand. The bathroom was nice but a bit small, but again, that is typical for a downtown hotel of this age. The TV was flat screen, but it was a bit smaller than I would hope. Channel selection was decent but not great. The bed was very comfortable and the AC worked well.

Public areas:
Still look good, in my opinion. The lobby bar is nice, plenty of space to spread out or sit intimately. There is a Starbucks in the lobby bar area too, which is nice to know if you want coffee. Carpets were in need of replacement, but not too bad in most areas.

Internet:
The internet was fee based so I did not use it. Come on guys, give us 24 hours free. But this is typical of these mid-high range hotels.

Food:
I only had Starbucks, which was good, but typical Starbucks.

Overall:
Right now the hotel is OK, and good if you get a deal. However, I would wait until the renovations are complete to pass judgement.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DOSHyattRegencyTampa, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Greetings Tampasteve,

Thank you for staying with us.

You are right; the renovations are still going on. We just completed the renovation for our restaurant but there is still more to come. We are very excited about all the changes that are coming up including a full service Starbucks.

We apologize for having only 1 person at the Front Desk, this is not our norm. We also apologize for the internet fee in the guest rooms, however, we offer complimentary internet in our restaurant/bar/lobby area and also in our Business Center.

We hope next year you can stay with us again for the Gasparilla Half Marathon event or come and visit us to see our brand new restaurant.

Charleston, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I would consider staying at the Hilton Tampa Downtown (formally the Hyatt Tampa Downtown), but would also consider other options.

Pros:
1. Nice location (Close to Tampa Times Forum, the few restaurants in the area, and close to I-275 and I-4)
2. Clean
3. Good size rooms

Cons:
1. Sheets on bed don't seem to fit well.
2. Hotel as of now (3/5/13) is "in transition" from being a Hyatt to becoming a Hilton.
3. Restaurant/food selections in the hotel are limited and restaurant options outside the hotel are limited in the Winter months. There is a Subway, Jimmy Jones, Five Guys and a Mexican Restaurant within walking distance. Most other restaurants are only open for lunch.
4. No free wifi.

Valet parking is $20 per day, Wifi is $9.99 per day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Greetings Shades Trades,

Thank you for staying with us.

We appreciate the pros and cons you mentioned about the hotel. We apologize for the sheets situation. New sheets have been ordered from Hilton and they should be fitted for our beds. Our hotel became a Hilton hotel on February 15, 2013. We are undergoing a $20 million renovation right now and should be finished before the end of the year. Our restaurant offers a variety of meals for your choice and delight, but if you like to venture out, we recommend you visit Ybor City or Channelside for other meal options and entertainment. We offer free Wifi in the restaurant/bar/lobby area and our Business Center on the 2nd floor.

We hope you enjoyed your stay while visiting our city and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future so you can enjoy our “new” hotel.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I just spent three days at this hotel at a conference and tried hard to be accommodating of the fact that the hotel was recently bought by Hilton (from Hyatt). Unfortunately, almost every aspect of this hotel with the exception of several staff (phone receptionist, wait staff, room service) and quality of food this hotel is below average at best. I would have given them a 2.5 out of 5.0 stars but it is not possible with the Trip Advisor scale.

My first experience was with reservations in February. The reservations desk is outsourced which is not a problem except when one has to spend 10-15 minutes one three calls due to a previously confirmed reservation not surviving the IT conversion between old and new hotel. I finally convinced a manager named Kristen to help me and was met with attitude and frustration. Immediately following I wrote a very kind but informative letter to Hilton General Customer Service about this issue and never heard back.

Upon arrival at the hotel I found most of the general help staff (housekeeping, valet, wait staff, phone receptionist) to be friendly and helpful, and also found the room service food to be good. Right now at this hotel it is pretty much downhill from there.

The most problematic issue is related to the general engineering of the hotel. While the hotel boasts a recent 20 million renovation it seems obvious that none was committed to guest rooms. The Hilton Tampa is one of those poorly insulated hotels in which you can hear toilets flushing, water running through pipes, people talking in other rooms and in the hall...and doors slamming at all hours of the day and night....all from the inside of your guest room.

Equally problematic is the fact that the hotel also has no hot water....strange but true in the 21st century. I took one luke warm and two cold showers. Even when trying to wash my face at night the water was luke warm at best.

After three days, I had to leave the conference abruptly due to a family emergency. I tried to check out (at 3pm) and the line at the front desk was very long (as it frequently seemed to be). In the sake of time, I decided to call the hotel from the airport and check out. Upon calling I was put on hold for 7-10 minutes then someone actually picked up the phone and hung up on me. I called a second time and asked to be transferred to the front desk and told the receptionist to please transfer me to front desk again. The same guy picked up the phone and put me on hold again even after I told him what happened and why I was calling. He picked up the phone a short time later and was a little friendlier.

In summary, this hotel is exhausting and I will not stay at this hotel again. There are too many other excellent hotels at the same price in close proximity.

Room Tip: Another hotel?
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Greetings NMskies62,

Thank you for your review concerning your recent stay with us. We hope you accept our apologies for the inconvenience we caused you.

It was very dissapointing to read that we let you down in so many areas. We take your comments very seriously. We would like to talk to you more about it. Please contact our Room Executive, Randy Kuiken, at 813-204-3000.

Our goal is to regain your confidence in our services and staff and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Parking do not like staff very friendly rooms.... Clean didn't have fitted sheet no refrigerator I would come back if needed had a nice bar staff was very friendly not really a lot to do if you walk around

• Stayed March 2013
DOSHyattRegencyTampa, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Greetings Sahood1993,

Thank you so much for staying with us.

We appreciate your comments about our staff. We are excited about our undergoing renovation right now and hope you can visit us again soon.

Hilton Tampa Downtown Management
Bonita Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

we drove up from Bonita to see a "Pink" concert at the Tampa Times Forum the night before the concert thinking we'd get in some city life. Tampa downtown is not fun, no place to walk to and the shops are non existent. Lots of banks and a few restaurants of which only one was open and they were out of sangria. We walked back to the hotel restaurant inside the Hilton and the Service from Mark our waiter was excellent. The food was decent although the pear and arugula salad was marvelous as was the lobster crab cake. Anyway, getting back to the hotel -- we booked a room for two. The room had exactly two towels, two washcloths and one complimentary coffee. I called for more coffee and they brought it promptly. The artificial creamer will kill you (" corn syrup solids and paritally hydrogenated soybean oil) so I had to drink it black. Nothing, from parking, coffee creamer, or bottled water, was complimentary and the room rate was not a bargain. The bed was amazingly comfy and our sweet waiter gave us a couple of wine glasses for our Brunello (wedding gift) in the room. The hotel is obviously not responsible for the town it sits in or the lack of anything to do. Perhaps things will improve.

Greetings jabmyeyes,

Thank you for staying with us.

We appreciate your comments about Mark; he is one of our customer service ambassadors of our hotel. We will pass along your gracious remarks about his service to him.

We apologize for our downtown not being fun at night. We have different venues (Ybor, Channelside) that you can enjoy just by taking the trolley at the station about a block away from the hotel. Please ask any of our staff members for directions.

We hope you enjoyed the Pink concert and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon in the near future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is currently getting a makeover, and the renovated parts of it look pretty good. We managed to get a good rate, and we found the location to be very convenient (driving) from the airport. The room itself was large, clean and well-furnished....with the small exception that our bed was only semi-made (GAH!). Sheets were clean, but it looked as though the maid got sidetracked midway though and the pillows and sheets were only halfway organized. Aside from this, we found the room itself to be quiet, with luxurious, comfortable sleep-quality and a large, clean bathroom. Front staff was very kind and welcoming, willing to answer any questions we had. We had breakfast with this hotel. It was pretty steep ($20 pp), but it was terrific. I wouldn't mind staying here again if I got another good rate.

Greetings EdgeofExistence,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us.

We apologize for your bed not being completely made. This is very unusual and we sincerely apologize for that. We will advise our Housekeeping Department of this oversight.

We are excited about what is still coming up during our renovation. We look forward to having you as a guest in the near future so you can enjoy our “new” hotel.

Hilton Tampa Downtown - Management

Been to Hilton Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!