You added Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites - South Tampa / Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites - South Tampa / Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3314 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33629   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #66 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
“Convenient!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

My room at Howard Johnson was better than I expected. I stayed in a double room and it included a mini kitchen which was very convenient. It was also conveniently located. I was in Tampa to for my grandmothers funeral and the Howard Johnson was located next door to the funeral home which was very convenient for my family and I. It's not fabulous but it served the purpose. It was clean and updated. Good for a short stay. Plus, it served a continental breakfast.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed here for one night before catching a flight out of the Tampa airport. I would not consider this a "value" property as we paid approximately $100 for the night. The room was dark, dingy and horribly outdated. The lampshade by the bed was dented and broken, the bathtub was child sized and the T.V. was not flatscreen. The carpeting made you want to keep your shoes on and the bedding was ancient. The hotel is located amongst several "gentlemen's clubs" and an abandoned lot which only added to the seediness of the place. We went out for dinner on foot to a nearby restaurant and I had the distinct feeling that I'd rather be safe in my car. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The only reason I didn't give them a 5 is it's a "value" hotel. At $70 with a fridge and a microwave, it's a great value for the location. Clean, comfortable, lots of cable channels, across the street from one of the best BBQ places in the entire city, it's a great value!

Room Tip: First floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Oyr stay was very good, especially for the price. The rooms were clean and the staff were nice. The only complaint I have is that the carpets need cleaned. Our feet were black after walking barefoot on the carpets for ten minutes. Otherwise, we will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2014
Rowlett, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Don't let the fact that this is a Howard Johnson property fool you ... my one-night stay here was excellent in all regards and great value for the price.

This is an older motel, but the property is very clean and up to date. My king room mini-sute consisted of an amply sized guest room with a partial divider separating a small living area with sofa from the comfortable king bed. Ample work space was provided, and the internet signal worked flawlessly. The bathroom set-up is typical of older properties, with the sink in the guest room and the toilet/tub/shower in a small, adjacent room - it was very clean, in excellent repair, and the shower delivered an ample stream of piping hot water.

There was also a microwave and fridge in the room.

My room was set well away from the street, and even though the property seemed full (it was a Friday night), I was not disturbed at all by highway noise or noise from nearby rooms. Parking is a bit cramped, but there is adequate room for all guests.

Check-in was handled quickly and efficiently by a pleasant staff member. The lobby was spacious, tastefully appointed, and clean.

I had a very early flight the following morning out of the Tampa airport, and when I returned to the office around 5:15am to check out, the night clerk had stepped away from the desk. So I left my room key with a note and a request to have my folio emailed or faxed to me when they returned, since I could not wait for them to return. Later in the morning, I received my folio as requested and appreciate their attentiveness in getting this done.

I did not stay to sample the breakfast so cannot comment on the variety or the quality.

I normally tend to avoid budget or mid-tier Wyndham affiliated brands (Howard Johnson, Days Inn, Knights Inn, and others) because you never know what you're going to get, and my experience with these brands, over an extended period of time, have been less than satisfactory. But this property is very much the exception. The owners clearly take pride in their motel, and it shows. The service and comfort were great, and that was a very pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Rooms set well away from the highway are probably quieter.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Delray Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

An airport hotel located on the hotel strip with others. Moderately priced, you get pretty much what you pay for. Nothing spectacular, but everything worked. The Continental breakfast served in the morning is over at 9am..

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites - South Tampa / Airport? Share your experiences!