“Very basic no-frills hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #116 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Ann Arbor
“Very basic no-frills hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Pros: Good location very near the airport and highway connections; Denny's across the street (to make up for the horrible HJ-standard breakfast) and an excellent Thai restaurant right next door; computer terminal in lobby worked well. Nearby strip clubs didn't bother us a bit. Cons: VERY soft beds; clean-but-dingy rooms, deadbolt worked but chain on door didn't, the aforementioned breakfast, bad tv reception. The worst was the check-in policy - we were told there would be a $20 surcharge to check in before noon and $10 to check in between noon and 2 pm, something we've never encountered before in some 40+ years of traveling. But we were able to put our luggage in a room off the lobby, along with a great pile of others' suitcases and store it until later in the afternoon. Essentially, we tend to stay in basic hotels, but this was a little too basic even for us.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
rx81
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

I'm a fairly easy going but I must say this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Upon entering everything seemed okay but once I closed the door behind me I noticed a distinct noise from the wind...there was a space between the door and opening for the door allowing wind to come in. It was large enough for me to see outside, but more than anything it was the sound of the wind, traffic and the airconditioning/heating units that was coming through that space that bothered me.

Next I walked into the washroom and the corners were dirty, the caulking on the edge of the floor and the tub was cracked, making me think that water may leak through. Once again I tried to let it go, but as soon as I closed the door behind me , the door wouldn't close. It wasn't cut the right height for the floor. I had to push it because of the uneven floor or wrong door size cut. Once I got it closed, there was old gum stuck on the hinges of the door.

The TVs are relatively old, usually everyone's got plasmas hanging these days, even the cheap hotels, but that wasn't a big deal. The beds were fairly comfortable, iron worked but the light switches and plugs were dated and dirty and phone buttons were sticky.

The shower didn't have hot water at 2 am for some odd reason. I thought it might take some time so I let it run for a good 3-4 minutes but still nothing.

• Stayed March 2010
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, March 25, 2011

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa/

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) Maintenance staff was appraised of the problems with the doors in the room assigned to you and instructed to repair them.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

3) Maintenance staff was appraised of the lack of hot water in the room assigned to you and asked to look into the matter.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Live Oak, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

I can not even rate this motel.I will never stay there again and I have called Holliday Inn to tell them I am shocked that they would let a place like this have their name on it! There were so many roaches that I ask them to spray the room and they did.But the bugs kept crawling.We had booked 2 rooms and a third party booked her room.She had a single bed and hers was dirty but she didnt see the bugs.2 of our rooms crawled all night I have pictures which I am going to send to Holliday Inn at their request.I also ask them to please check out this hotel it was filty and the drawers to put your clothes was broken and graffitti written in the bottom of the drawers our clothes stayed in the suitcase. I have never had a room so bad as this was.The manager per a phone said they would discount my room but he ask that I not call holliday Inn.I told him I will pay for my room as I do intend to notify them.I would have got another hotel but there was much going on in Tampa and there was no rooms! DO NOT STAY HERE>>>

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training in maintaining the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Maintenance was informed of the problem you reported with roaches and instructed to look into the matter and see to their elimination.

Cleveland Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

We stayed here on our last night in Florida so we would be close to the airport for a 0530am flight.The stripper bars next store and across the street should have been the first clue.Fights in the parking lot,other guests yelling all night.my husband wanted to leave as soon as we arrived but I had already paid on Expedia and there was no refund.But the prostitute we spoke with on our way out was very nice.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) Security staff was made aware of your report of fights in the parking lot of our establishment.

2) Management staff was made aware of their responsibility to see to it that our valued guests remember to be considerate of their fellow guests and to keep any noise at a reasonable level.

Buffalo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

The first room I had was dark and quite small. Wifi signal was so weak that it was not usable. The front desk was willing to change my room and the second room had a 3-bar wifi signal and was larger too. In most respects the second room was fine. I advise guests not to walk in the room in stocking feet. The stains on the socks did not wash out. Un-carpeted floors in many places were sticky. The telephone buttons stuck and I was unable to make a credit card call because of that. It also says there is a charge for local calls (I didn't try). Bottom line, five dollars more would put you in a more comfortable place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa for your recent stay in our area. I am glad to hear that when you experienced problems with the Wifi signal, the front desk was able to change you to a room that was better for your needs. It is always nice to hear that our employees are helpful and courteous to our valued guests.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) The desk staff was notified of the nice comments which you took the time to make about them.

2) Housekeeping staff received extra training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

The amenities are not the best. TV reception and channels were very limited. Noise was a factor. Everything could be heard from the room next door and the exterior door did not seal well and deadbolt was not serving it's purpose.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon the receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Maintenance staff was notified of the problems you had with the television and the exterior door. They were instructed to see to it that these problems are fixed.

2) Management staff was reminded that they have a responsibility to see that our valued guests remember their responsibilities to treat their fellow guests courteously and keep the noise level to a reasonable one.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be very pleased.

Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

The hotel while nothing fancy, was affordable and adequate for my short stay. The staff was friendly, and helpful, and check-in and out was easy and efficient. There are plenty of shopping and restaurants near-by, and the hotel is within minutes of the Tampa airport.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
hojotampa, front office manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
We thank you for taking time out to complete the survey. Your feedback is very valueable to us and will help us to improve our service to make each and every guest experience the best it can be. we hope to serve u again in the future

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium? Share your experiences!