“"PLEASE THINK"!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #111 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“"PLEASE THINK"!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

my male friend @ i stayed there 9.12,to visit my cousin/not a comfortable and friendy place...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hotel is located about 5 min from airport they provide free ride to airport. Very reasonable price for room. perfect for overnight stay to catch early morning flight. in short Average rooms and average price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Voorhees, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I would have to agree with most of the reviews about this motel. I unfortunately made a reservation through expedia and when I called to confirm the night before arrival, I found out that the reservation didn't go through, no fault of Howard Johnson.The customer service rep was very polite and booked me a room for my family, but I didn't realize it was the wrong one. I had origianally booked the one at the Airport. It is not in a good area, and IS surrounded by strip clubs and pawn shops. The building we stayed in was actually attached to a "We Buy Gold" building that must have once been a part of the motel. Lots of seedy characters around and the pool literally is smack in the middle of the parking lot. We were supposed to stay for 3 nights and decided at 11pm the night we arrived, to cancel the rest of our stay and go to Clearwater Beach. The linens were clean, but the floor was so dirty that my 16 yr old daughters feet were black after walking barefoot on the rug. The shower was just old and dirty and when my husband got a shower he wasn't sure if it was the mat in the tub that was turning the water brown or if it was the water itself. NOT A PLACE FOR FAMILIES, you really do get what you pay for. The staff were polite and courteous, but it did not make up for all of the other flaws.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for making the best of a difficult situation when you discovered you had made a mistake in reserving a room at Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa for a family trip.

• The customer service representative received our commendation for the courteous, polite manner in which he/she treated you, our valued guest.
• The customer service representative received my personal commendation for the courteous, polite manner in which he/she treated you our valued guest.
• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness they are to maintain as our employees.

• The staff received our commendation for the courteous, polite manner in which they treated you, our valued guest.

While Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa was not the right place for a family stop, I hope that you will not let this stop you from staying at other Howard Johnson Hotels which are. We look forward to welcoming you at our establishments.

Guelph, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My partner stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel on Feb 2, 2012. We stayed at the hotel because we could park our car while on pleasure trip to Phoenix. The room was nice and clean and the beds were comfortable. TV was old, but it worked. Everything was ok until I decided to set the alarm clock. Several bed bugs came crawling out of the clock. I reported this to the front desk and they did not seem surprised. They moved us to another room and everything was fine. Airport transportation was provided to and from the airport. And they parked my car for two weeks for a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received our commendation for the level of cleanliness they maintain as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bedbugs in the first room assigned to you and instructed to look into any needed extermination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I've stayed here a few times. Rooms were, as usual, minimally acceptable. A bit grungier than in the past though.

Most notable for my last trip however, was the terrible customer service.

The woman working the front desk here on Saturdays is the least helpful staff member I have ever encountered in my entire 12-year career of business travel.

As I stood in line to book my shuttle back to the airport, there were a few people ahead of me in line. During the five minutes I waited there, I must have heard the words "I don't know" about 20 times. The questions weren't monumental either. Stuff like "Do you know where I can exchange my money for US dollars?", "Can I use this points plan to book my room?", "Can I just get some change for the coke machine?" To all these questions, the woman would, with an unsmiling and unhelpful face, sternly and dismissively just say "I don't know." It was cringeworthy to watch. I mean, even if she didn't know the answers to these questions, to not even offer polite alternatives or make some minimal effort (grab a phone book, humor the people with some semi-related info, even just be polite) was absolutely disgusting. It was one of the most unacceptable displays of customer service imaginable.

As a final and revealing point, the computer in the hotel lobby which for years has had a 15 minute time allowance for guests to print their boarding passes was no longer available (internet access had been disabled and blocked by password). The woman at the desk said she didn't know it (naturally!)

I've never encountered someone who did less at their job.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

• The woman to whom you referred received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

• Management was approached about your report and we discussed if there was some possibility of desk staff receiving additional training in various ways in which they could better help our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011 via mobile

Nothing fancy about this place but it is a ten minute walk to the football stadium and the yankees spring training baseball stadium. They also offer a free shuttle to and from the airport less than ten minutes away. Rooms are basic. Lots of restaurants adjacent to the hotel including a 24 hour Denny's restaurant and a longhorn steakhouse. Also shopping spots within walking distance. Excellent value for the money. Good place to stay for one night.

• Stayed November 2011
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I was checked into this hotel for about 15 minutes. When I got done bringing all of my stuff in the suite, that's when I noticed how neglected and unclean the room was. The walls were stained in various spots throughout the room, the carpet wasn't fully vacuumed and in the corners looked like it was never touched, and in the bathroom there was a pile of what looked like droppings of some sort that appeared to be coming out of the wall. After realizing how unsanitary the room was, I decided I was not going to be staying and immediately checked out. I guess you get what you pay for...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that it didn’t work out.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to attempt to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium? Share your experiences!