“Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights, Save 25%
Ranked #117 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Guelph, Ontario
“Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My partner stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel on Feb 2, 2012. We stayed at the hotel because we could park our car while on pleasure trip to Phoenix. The room was nice and clean and the beds were comfortable. TV was old, but it worked. Everything was ok until I decided to set the alarm clock. Several bed bugs came crawling out of the clock. I reported this to the front desk and they did not seem surprised. They moved us to another room and everything was fine. Airport transportation was provided to and from the airport. And they parked my car for two weeks for a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received our commendation for the level of cleanliness they maintain as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bedbugs in the first room assigned to you and instructed to look into any needed extermination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I've stayed here a few times. Rooms were, as usual, minimally acceptable. A bit grungier than in the past though.

Most notable for my last trip however, was the terrible customer service.

The woman working the front desk here on Saturdays is the least helpful staff member I have ever encountered in my entire 12-year career of business travel.

As I stood in line to book my shuttle back to the airport, there were a few people ahead of me in line. During the five minutes I waited there, I must have heard the words "I don't know" about 20 times. The questions weren't monumental either. Stuff like "Do you know where I can exchange my money for US dollars?", "Can I use this points plan to book my room?", "Can I just get some change for the coke machine?" To all these questions, the woman would, with an unsmiling and unhelpful face, sternly and dismissively just say "I don't know." It was cringeworthy to watch. I mean, even if she didn't know the answers to these questions, to not even offer polite alternatives or make some minimal effort (grab a phone book, humor the people with some semi-related info, even just be polite) was absolutely disgusting. It was one of the most unacceptable displays of customer service imaginable.

As a final and revealing point, the computer in the hotel lobby which for years has had a 15 minute time allowance for guests to print their boarding passes was no longer available (internet access had been disabled and blocked by password). The woman at the desk said she didn't know it (naturally!)

I've never encountered someone who did less at their job.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

• The woman to whom you referred received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

• Management was approached about your report and we discussed if there was some possibility of desk staff receiving additional training in various ways in which they could better help our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel – Tampa. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Nothing fancy about this place but it is a ten minute walk to the football stadium and the yankees spring training baseball stadium. They also offer a free shuttle to and from the airport less than ten minutes away. Rooms are basic. Lots of restaurants adjacent to the hotel including a 24 hour Denny's restaurant and a longhorn steakhouse. Also shopping spots within walking distance. Excellent value for the money. Good place to stay for one night.

• Stayed November 2011
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I was checked into this hotel for about 15 minutes. When I got done bringing all of my stuff in the suite, that's when I noticed how neglected and unclean the room was. The walls were stained in various spots throughout the room, the carpet wasn't fully vacuumed and in the corners looked like it was never touched, and in the bathroom there was a pile of what looked like droppings of some sort that appeared to be coming out of the wall. After realizing how unsanitary the room was, I decided I was not going to be staying and immediately checked out. I guess you get what you pay for...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that it didn’t work out.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to attempt to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

There are some bad reviews here, but let me put this in perspective. I would have rated this below average had it not been for the suprisingly good service. I only stayed here one night en route to catch a ship to Cozumel. The front desk clerk (Jerome) was extremely helpful in sorting out some mistakes I made with the booking. This place was adequate with a microwave and mini fridge. The cleanliness was good. The room itself was dated. BUT for only $50, and needing only one night, I found some value here en route to my cruise. Unfortunately they charge $10 to park here, and the cab ride to the port was $15.80 (still better than the $15 per day the port would've charged) I would recommend that they provide free parking and/or a free shuttle to the port in order the attract a more desirable clientele.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Upon first glance, the hotel was not in the greatest location (right behind a steakhouse, and near several strip clubs). The room was older, but had what we needed to get by. I did notice that when walking around barefoot, that my feet became extremey dirty (I wouldn't advise going shoeless!) We didn't really have too many problems with it until the last day when upon getting ready to check-out, my BF had a several bites on his body. We didn't think too much of it, but more and more have continued to show up!! It seems to me like this hotel has a problem with BED BUGS!!!!!!! I definitely wouldn't recommend staying here........

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Maintenance staff was appraised of the bites your boyfriend received and instructed to look into the possibility of bedbugs and if they exist, to see to their elimination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be greatly pleased.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Hotel is located in a horrible are surrounded by strip clubs. Also rooms have roaches, bed bugs and fleas. Staff was useless and stated that the bugs come every summer and that this is FL. Extremeley dissatisfied and finally going home, but covered in bites

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest,

1) Maintenance was notified of your report of numerous bugs. They are to look into the matter and see to their extermination.

2) Staff members received additional training in the courteous, helpful way in which they are to treat our valued guests.