“Hotel conveniently located near football stadium and airport” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #111 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Houston, Texas
“Hotel conveniently located near football stadium and airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011 via mobile

Nothing fancy about this place but it is a ten minute walk to the football stadium and the yankees spring training baseball stadium. They also offer a free shuttle to and from the airport less than ten minutes away. Rooms are basic. Lots of restaurants adjacent to the hotel including a 24 hour Denny's restaurant and a longhorn steakhouse. Also shopping spots within walking distance. Excellent value for the money. Good place to stay for one night.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I was checked into this hotel for about 15 minutes. When I got done bringing all of my stuff in the suite, that's when I noticed how neglected and unclean the room was. The walls were stained in various spots throughout the room, the carpet wasn't fully vacuumed and in the corners looked like it was never touched, and in the bathroom there was a pile of what looked like droppings of some sort that appeared to be coming out of the wall. After realizing how unsanitary the room was, I decided I was not going to be staying and immediately checked out. I guess you get what you pay for...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that it didn’t work out.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to attempt to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

There are some bad reviews here, but let me put this in perspective. I would have rated this below average had it not been for the suprisingly good service. I only stayed here one night en route to catch a ship to Cozumel. The front desk clerk (Jerome) was extremely helpful in sorting out some mistakes I made with the booking. This place was adequate with a microwave and mini fridge. The cleanliness was good. The room itself was dated. BUT for only $50, and needing only one night, I found some value here en route to my cruise. Unfortunately they charge $10 to park here, and the cab ride to the port was $15.80 (still better than the $15 per day the port would've charged) I would recommend that they provide free parking and/or a free shuttle to the port in order the attract a more desirable clientele.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Upon first glance, the hotel was not in the greatest location (right behind a steakhouse, and near several strip clubs). The room was older, but had what we needed to get by. I did notice that when walking around barefoot, that my feet became extremey dirty (I wouldn't advise going shoeless!) We didn't really have too many problems with it until the last day when upon getting ready to check-out, my BF had a several bites on his body. We didn't think too much of it, but more and more have continued to show up!! It seems to me like this hotel has a problem with BED BUGS!!!!!!! I definitely wouldn't recommend staying here........

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Maintenance staff was appraised of the bites your boyfriend received and instructed to look into the possibility of bedbugs and if they exist, to see to their elimination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be greatly pleased.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011 via mobile

Hotel is located in a horrible are surrounded by strip clubs. Also rooms have roaches, bed bugs and fleas. Staff was useless and stated that the bugs come every summer and that this is FL. Extremeley dissatisfied and finally going home, but covered in bites

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest,

1) Maintenance was notified of your report of numerous bugs. They are to look into the matter and see to their extermination.

2) Staff members received additional training in the courteous, helpful way in which they are to treat our valued guests.

Douglasville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Quite possibly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Between the birthday party that had to be broken up by the police to the creepy guy in the windowless van drinking beer most of the night, this is the definition of a no-tel motel. The only redeeming thing about the hotel was that they kicked out the scary people, but only after we complained.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that our staff took action upon your complaint, but I am deeply sorry that such a complaint was necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• Management and security staff were approached about setting up security measures that would avoid such situations as you encountered from occurring.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

I often travel to tampa on business and I find this hotel overall best. I don't have to pay extra for Internet. Also as they have shuttle to/ from airpot it saves two days car rental for me. The staff is all friendly and very co-operative.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium? Share your experiences!