“Quite possibly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #116 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Douglasville, Georgia
“Quite possibly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Quite possibly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Between the birthday party that had to be broken up by the police to the creepy guy in the windowless van drinking beer most of the night, this is the definition of a no-tel motel. The only redeeming thing about the hotel was that they kicked out the scary people, but only after we complained.

• Stayed April 2011
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that our staff took action upon your complaint, but I am deeply sorry that such a complaint was necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• Management and security staff were approached about setting up security measures that would avoid such situations as you encountered from occurring.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

I often travel to tampa on business and I find this hotel overall best. I don't have to pay extra for Internet. Also as they have shuttle to/ from airpot it saves two days car rental for me. The staff is all friendly and very co-operative.

• Stayed January 2011
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Found myself and family in Tampa area for son's Emergency Surgery at Tampa General Hosp., they recommended this hotel for being cheap, close and allowed my puppies. I didnt ask any questions, just if they had a room for my family and puppies. Didnt have PC to check reviews. How dumb. I will NEVER stay in a hotel without checking reviews again. This place smelled, Mircowave started a fire (unit is about 20+ years old) and Manager said my fault and I would be charger for this. Bugs, Bugs, Bugs. Didnt plan ahead as this was emergency stop and was charged different price for each night and of course it increased each night without warning. If this ever happens again, I will stay in my car with all the kids and the puppies before I ever stay here again. They offer free breakfast, take it from me you dont want it, it had bugs all over it first. Rooms behind Longhorn are noisy all night long from customers leaving after midnight to dumpster be dumped at 330 am. Only way to close door is to slamb them., and you'll hear that ALL night long. Take notice- Go stay somewhere else, no mater they are cheap, close to hospital and allow pets. They sure go me while in a desperate time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
hojotampafl, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa. I am so sorry your vacation was interrupted in such a negative way. I hope your son is completely better now.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) The matter of your charges increasing nightly is being looked into.

2) Maintenance staff was approached about the problem you experienced with the microwave and instructed to make sure it is working properly or to replace it.

3) Maintenance was appraised of the problem you experienced with bugs and instructed to look into the matter and see to it that any bugs are eliminated.

4) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

WE were disgusted with our stay here. The room smelt like urine when we went in there was hair all over the place. The room was infested with tiny cockroaches so we called the front desk to let them know the situation they asked if we could catch one alive and bring it to them! Are you kidding me? That's what I want to do on my vacation is become a bug catcher! We bring one down to them as asked and it didn't bother them at all the woman behind the desk goes yup thats a roach. They moved us to another room which smelt just as bad and you had to fight with the door to get it to close. Overall this was the worst experience I have ever had with traveling. My family was with us, we traveled as a party of 9. One of the other rooms where my mother-in-law was staying the smoke detector didn't work her safe didn't work she called and asked to have them looked at and the attitude that they gave her was uncalled for and not appreciated at all. My aunt who was staying in another room her air conditioner went out in the middle of the night and the room heated up very quickly she called to inform them of the problem and they told her she didn't know how to work it and there was nothing wrong it. They didn't even come down to look at. The free continental breakfast that was included was a joke and the bread products were stale. This place was a joke and I will definitely not recommend Howard Johnson to anyone, nor will I be staying there again. My family and I are frequent cruisers and have decided we like porting out of Tampa, so we will be looking for a new place to stay that will not be with your company.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

1) Staff members received additional training in the courteous way in which they are to treat our valued guests.

2) Staff in charge of the continental breakfast was approached to see what we could do to provide a more appetizing breakfast.

3) Maintenance staff was informed of your report of roaches and instructed to see to their elimination.

4) Maintenance was informed of your report of items being broken or not working properly and instructed to see to their repair or replacement.

5) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Near Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I went to Tampa recently and despite some of the negative reviews, stayed at the Howard - Johnson Tampa Airport. BEWARE: the "free computer and Internet" ONLY allows you to check e-mail. They have BLOCKED facebook and essentially the rest of the world wide-web - this was most frustrating. As for the rest, I was expecting it to be far worse, but it was actually very decent and basic. The room was clean and well put together - it was slightly larger than I had expected; there was nice walking room and plenty space for bags. There was one living bug crawling my mirror when I arrived, but it was really minor - nevertheless, it should not have been there. The bathroom was clean, but again; basic and standard. Overall I had a good sleep, smooth check - in and check out and a free ride back to the Airport. I would not stay here again, not because of the bug, but the Internet situation - that is inexcusable! If you want luxury, this is NOT the place for you. But if you want something nice, cheap and decent...then this is your place, however it is ONLY very standard and decent - nothing less and definitely nothing more.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Management was approached about making it clearer in their advertisements as to what is meant by free computer and internet.

2) Maintenance staff was notified of the fact that you spotted a live bug in the room assigned to you and instructed to be vigilant in watching for such things and tending to their elimination should any be found.

Daytona Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We stayed here one night on short-notice to attend a funeral in the area. This was by far our worst experience in many years at a hotel. The room was mismatched as though everything had been acquired at garage sales, i.e., carpet, bedding, upholstery, art. In addition, the bathroom had very obvious mildew on the ceiling and a faucet that squealed when turned on. The bed, while appearing clean, had a mattress with a depressed area in the middle that caused us to roll into each other all night. It is rare that I want to get out of a room before bathing or having my coffee, but that is what we did. Being fair however, the gent at the front desk (of Indian origin I believe) was pleasant but the lady with him was not so happy to be there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel –Tampa for your recent visit to our area. I wish the reason for your being here had been a different one. Please know that you do have our condolences. Thank you for telling us that you found the gentleman working at the front desk to be pleasant. It is just what we would expect from our employees, but it is always nice to hear.

1) The gentleman at the front desk was told of the nice comments you made about him.

2) Housekeeping staff received extra training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

3) Maintenance staff was informed of the problem with the faucet in the room assigned to you and instructed to look into the problem.

Petoskey, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We booked it prior to our cruise leaving the next day and arrived at about 9pm on Saturday night. We walked in the room and it reaked. Turned on the light and noticed right away that it hadn't been cleaned in forever-dust/dirt everywhere (don't even get me started on the base boards covered in mold, cobwebs, including the spider we killed minutes after we walked in)

The chair by the desk was broken with a lovely stain on it.

The front door was also broken in numerous spots-missing the steel catch plate, broke on the bottom, and looked like it had been kicked in at one point and repaired somewhat at the chain.

The walls had several lumps in them as though there were holes that had been poorly patched up and repainted over.

The carpet was filthy-I don't think it had ever been vacuumed/cleaned and was coming apart at the seemes in numerous spots.

I advised my husband we would NOT be staying at this hotel and grabbed the phone book from the VERY dirty night stand to attempt to find another hotel as we looked down to find toe nail clippings between the bed and the night stand!!!! GROSS!!!!!!!

My husband turned on the tv and it didn't work-static on several channels and the sound kept popping.

I was on the phone from 9pm until 1am looking for another hotel, unfortunately all hotels were booked as there were several events going on in Tampa that weekend...we were stuck in this DIVE hotel room.

The night had just begun-we pulled off the bedspread, because I was sure that was filthy...sure enough on the other side a HUGE brown stain...we threw that on the floor and carefully inspected the sheets for bugs...as we had already killed one spider when we walked in.

The bathroom was a whole different nightmare-writing on the back of the bathroom door, the door wouldn't even close without force- it caught on the floor, the floor of the bathroom was disgusting, grime that made your shoes stick to the floor (yes, shoes because there was no way we were taking them off), rust and no caps on the back of the toilet, in the shower: black scum on the faucet-mold and mildew on the shower head and the tub was cracked and poorly patched...

Can't believe this hotel is allowed to stay open and rent rooms...disgusting on so many levels!

As we tried to lay down and get a couple hours sleep it was impossible sounded like something out of a movie-people slamming doors and fighting at all hours of the night..just a miserable stay on all accounts!

I will never make the mistake of staying at a Howard Johnson again and I took pictures to inform other travelers to do the same and intend on posting them on several travel websites. Thank you for your time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

1) Management was made aware of their responsibility to see to it that our valued guests remember to behave courteously and respect the rights of their fellow guests.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

3) Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with the television in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to it that it and the appliances in all the rooms are functioning properly.

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium? Share your experiences!