“Staff is thin, but those their are choice!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk

You added The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk to your Saves list
The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W Fortune Street, 275N Ex-44 I-4/275S Ex-45A, Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown)   |
Ranked #82 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, Florida
“Staff is thin, but those their are choice!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Barrymore was swamped with us Gasparilla International Film Festival guests being there at the same time as a convention of High School student Theatre groups; High School rowing crews sculling on the river; and many other groups. They really need more front desk staff and shuttle drivers for the load. Checking in was a nightmare (Manager Shari the main reason) -- but Debbie at the bar took good care of me and I went to the Festival happy with Daniel the driver being very kind.. Then checking out the morning manager Cynthia made everything right and Felix the driver was funny and helped me get around. .

Room Tip: Even numbers face the river
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
BHgeneralmanager, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, 3 days ago
A sincere thank you for your feedback. We're sorry for the subpar check in experience. It was a challenge, and we can certainly improve upon accommodating a large number of early arrivals in the future. At the same time, we appreciate your positive comments and mentioning our team members by name. That truly helps, and we hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Ship Bottom, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

From the outside the Barrymore Hotel is impressive. The lobby is old, dirty and smelled. The restaurant looked more like a dirty cafeteria. Hallways smelled. Rooms were just average in cleanliness. Manager is certainly not staying on top of this place.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay until they gut and redo restaurant and fix rest of the place
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid comments. As the new General Manager, I do recognize that there are several opportunities for improvement with our hotel product and our team. We are committed to doing all we can to get better, and we are especially encouraged with recently approved renovation plans for our restaurant. We do hope you'll forgive this experience and give us another chance to serve you the next time you stay in the Tampa, FL area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

We rented last minute because our dog lost her vision instantly. The price was fair and the shuttle service to the popular sights in the area (aquarium, waterfront restaurants, convention center) was a complete hit with us. The staff was friendly

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Thanks very much for sharing your positive comments. It means a lot, and the entire team is appreciative and encouraged. We hope all is well with your dog, too. Please come back and see us the next time you visit the Tampa,Florida area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Ron the maintenance guy was very nice! He was very helpful in finding great places to go and was very friendly. Outgoing and very polite, it was nice to have a person like him in the hotel. Only problem was in the room, I prefer to have a vent fan in my bathroom which there was not.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions regarding your recent stay with us at The Barrymore Hotel. Everyone on the team appreciates your time and input. More so, thank you for mentioning the individual efforts of Ron in our maintenance department. I'm glad he could help point you toward some of the sights in downtown Tampa. We hope you'll stay with us again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed at this hotel in December 2014 for the Fleetwood Mac concert. We chose the hotel for the location and because we got a groupon. The location wound up being perfect. We were able to get a ride to the concert and walk back without any issues. The room was fine. Nothing incredible but no issues either. The lobby bar was a great place to go have a drink and some fun when we were tired from traveling and didn't want to go far. The only two issues were first, with the bus. The hotel provides a bus to the arena, and even though there were over 3 bus loads of guests going to the concert, the hotel kept going back and forth about whether it would extend running times of the shuttle to come pick us up. I believe they extended the hours to pick people up but we just walked. The other issue was with the hotel bar. We paid with a credit card separately and then they attempted to charge us twice. We had to call and figure out what was going on a couple of times but the issue resolved itself in the end.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your candor, and apologize for the indecision on our bus service to the arena and for the over charge in our lounge. Fortunately our team was able to correct things prior to your departure. Also, we are grateful for your positive comments as well, and hope you will come back and stay with us again in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed at the Barrymore for a conference in March. The location was great--I enjoyed running on the riverwalk and it was easy to get to restaurants downtown. The hotel itself was just okay. I had to turn the AC off and on because it didn't seem to respond to temperature adjustments. Hallways felt weirdly humid. Room was not well-cleaned; there was some hair in my bed and the bathroom. Internet was totally nonfunctional. An employee told us it was because there were too many people using it. I wouldn't stay here again, but it does feel safe, so if you need a cheap place to stay and don't mind a little shabbiness, this could be okay.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
BHgeneralmanager, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for your kind response. In light of a less than average experience, it is appreciated that you still took the time to point out some positive aspects of your stay. I understand your comments and want you to know that the current capital improvements underway should help greatly improve the physical space and functionality of the guest room and public areas. Should travel bring you back this way, please call me personally and I would be glad to accommodate you to gain a second impression of our hotel.
Monmouth, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for 4 nights in mid-March for a conference held at the Convention Center. I was really happy with the location, about a mile from the Conv. Ctr. As a 40-something female, I felt quite safe walking outside during the daytime and the nighttime, using the Tampa Riverwalk along the Hillsborough River for most of my walks. I also jogged along the trail before sunrise and it was great. The city is continuing to build it, to fill in gaps where a traveler has to leave the river and walk along street-side sidewalks for bits of it. My room was on the 8th floor and looked out over the river, which made for a great start to every day.
My room was adequate in general--nothing fancy, but worked for my needs. The biggest downside was the incessant air conditioner that blasted freezing cold air with abandon. And I'm from Maine, so I can tolerate cold! I wound up covering the vents with pillows to block the air that wouldn't go away even when I set the thermostadt to 68. The breakfast buffet was good--hot scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, fresh fruit and yogurt. Other random continental breakfast offerings too. Only bummer was that it was $12--I would've expected this sort of hotel to offer breakfast included (the building used to be a Howard Johnson's, to give style frame-of-reference). The shuttle was bit lame--I think there are 2 vans total, which will take guests 2 miles in any direction, but waiting times can vary to 20 minutes or more--sometimes/oftentimes quicker to walk if you're in a hurry. No A/C either (in van). The pool was nice--faces in direction of river too.

Room Tip: higher floor room with riverview
Green Features: seems adequate--they have signs in bathroom to keep towels hung on rack to avoid having them changed out
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your time and input very much. Please accept my apologies for the air conditioning and van service problems. I will address these with our team and make sure they are corrected. Overall, I hope you enjoyed your stay and will consider us again should you return to our area.

Been to The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk? Share your experiences!