“I was very impressed with lady at front desk. I asked for...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W Fortune Street, 275N Ex-44 I-4/275S Ex-45A, Tampa, FL 33602   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #86 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level

436 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Howard Johnson in downtown Tampa is the only hotel I will stay at while in the area. This is my second visit this year and again I have had great service! The gentleman at the front desk, who checked me in, Jarvis, was so polite and friendly each time I spoke with him. I had a few questions throughout my stay-he was very knowledgeable and happy to help. We went to the bar at the hotel one night and received excellent service from Nick. He was friendly and had great recommendations on the food- which was also superb! Absolutely will stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Request a high floor, facing the "Straz Center"- excellent view of downtown especially at...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
I thank you for your business and your feedback, I know how valuable your time is and am pleased that you used it to review us. I am glad to that you found the hotel so conveniently located directly off I-275 and only minutes from I-4. Located at the gateway to downtown Tampa’s arts district you can access all of downtown Tampa from Channelside, with the St. Pete Times Forum and convention center, to the Arts Districts many museums and Gastro pubs, all connected by Tampa’s beautiful Riverwalk.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Myself and 2 of my girlfriends stayed here for a weekend, as we had 2 concerts to see and a hockey game to attend. We wanted to be fairly close to the venue, so we decided to stay here. We booked through Hotwire and got great rates (around 65/night if I remember correctly?). When we arrived, they placed us in a run-down room and the telephone did not work. However, they immediately fixed our problem when we revisited the front desk. They promptly gave us another room that was fabulous. The view is not great because it is a downtown area, and mainly just buildings - but we had a mini fridge, a microwave, 2 beds - it was everything we needed! The main thing that I loved about this hotel was the staff. They were so kind to us - were very informative. Another huge plus is the shuttle service every 15 or 20 minutes. It brought us to each concert and the hockey game and also picked us up if it was not too late. We also ate in the restaurant and it was pretty good if you don't have time to go out anywhere.

Also not far from shopping, etc. Parking is $8/day if I remember, however. But never any problems ... Nice big parking lot.

People complain that it is also a place for college students, but we did not notice anything out of the ordinary except for a few students using the elevator every now and then. Actually made me feel safer due to the amount of pedestrian traffic - even late at night. Also nice is that the security guards are very friendly.

Room Tip: Simply ask for an upgrade and see if anything is available if you are not satisfied with your curren...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Larry C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. Feed back such as yours is invaluable in helping us to improve and recognizing what we are doing well. I am pleased that enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had a fabulous stay at the HoJo!!! The staff was spectacular and very helpful. Rooms were very clean and updated, I was on the 14th floor with a great view of the river. Donvan was a fantastic bartender and he was training Nick they were both very helpful and pleasant! My favorite shuttle driver was Larry he was amazing!!! Anywhere I needed to go or anything I needed to pick up he was always there and with fantastic suggestions on restaurants/bars and even helping me find a backpack! Must stay in Tampa great location and beautiful pool!

Room Tip: 14th floor was the best!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Larry C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay. We truly appreciate all feedback and it is especially nice to hear when a guest enjoys their stay with us. Here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa providing guest satisfaction for a great value is our number one priority. Again thank you for your business
Winter Haven, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

From the time you walk into to the time you leave All staff greets you with a smile! They are accomodating, helpful, and friendly! Rooms are CLEAN! Beds are SUPER COMFORTABLE! The Waterworks Bar and Grill has great food and the atmosphere is inviting. The location is unbeatable and convenient! Situated next to the Patel Performing Arts, within walkable distance to restaurants, and amusements (Tampa Aquarium. YBOR city, Tampa Convention Center, Tampa Bay Times Forum, and if you take the train into town...the Amtrak Station is right here!) One of the BEST featurues offered is the shuttle. This hotel will provide transportation to you to any destination within a 2 mile radius AND pick you up as a COURTESY for your stay. Whether it's to attend a Bucs game at Raymond James, catch Depeche Mode at the Forum, or cheer on the Tampa Bay Lightening with friends, I will defnitely be back. Thanks for the great stay Hojos!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 12th floor which was very quiet, my A/C ran cool, and my view was of the Hillsboroug...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your awesome review of your stay with us here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed it. Being located at the gateway to Downtown Tampa our location is the perfect stop to see all that Tampa has to offer. Right in the heart of the Arts District and adjacent to the Straz Center for the Performing Arts, it is an easy stroll down Tampa’s beautiful riverwalk to the Tampa Museum of Art, Glazer Children’s Museum, Curtis HIxon Park, The Tampa History Center and all the exciting night life of Downtown Tampa. If the abundance of Downtown Tampa’s great restaurants and gastro pubs isn’t enough, Ybor City with its charming history and scintillating nightlife are sure to please. Thank you for your business and your review. We look forward to hosting you again.

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown? Share your experiences!