“Straz Center Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk

You added The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk to your Saves list
The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W Fortune Street, 275N Ex-44 I-4/275S Ex-45A, Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Rate
Rates from $99.00
Ranked #80 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Miami
“Straz Center Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

3 1/2 Stars - Stayed at this downtown hotel for a couple of days for work. I was in budget so got a good deal from Hotwire ($58 per night) but you have to factor in the $8 per night parking (with in/out privileges). I hear that this is normal if you stay in Downtown Tampa.

Here are the goods:

1) It's next to Straz Center and walking distance to Tampa University.
2) Free shuttle to Ybor strip and other points of interest. (every 15-30 min)
3) Free PC stations in lobby while waiting for shuttle.
4) Cool bar lounge & restaurant in the lobby.
5) Check in was super fast through friendly agents.
6) Free strong Wifi (good for business travelers)
7) My room had a nice river view (stayed on the 11th floor)
8) Room has standard blow dryer, iron, TV, desk plus fridge and microwave.
9) Laundry facilities and gym on 2nd floor (if you plan to use it)
10) Walking distance to Taps Tampa (Tabas Bar & Beer) http://www.tapswineandbeer.com/

Be aware that this hotel is also used as a dorm by Tampa students but they were all friendly and quiet at night. I actually felt safe coming home at night cause of the student traffic.

The Not So Good:

1) The hotel lobby is renovated. Hallway & room are pretty beat up and dated but overall clean.
2) Only 1 elevator was working during my stay cause the other 2 were being renovated. You can take the stairwell down but you cannot take it going up cause the doors were locked?
3) My room had a musty smell. (I think my room has been vacant for a while). But after housekeeping cleaned on the 2nd day, everything smelled fresh!

I heard they will continue sprucing up the hotel so I would like to see it when it's all done. This is family and student friendly hotel. I actually met some pretty cool students and had a great time hanging at the hotel lobby bar. Being next to Straz is a plus if you are planning to see an event!

Room Tip: Ask for river view room. It's actually nice to wake up looking at the river :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to announce that we have made many editing changes to the hotel including a complete upgrade and modernization of all of our Elevators. We are currently wrapping up the last of the Guestroom and Hallway refresh project which has added to our overall guest experience. We hope you will return to our hotel to see the many exciting changes taking place.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent service from the desk at checkin. Excellent shuttle service to the market and to grab a bite to eat.. Great river view and room placement. My room was cozy, tucked away and quiet. Comfortable bed as well. One Night Only but I was so relaxed and felt catered too! Thanks HoJo Plaza Tampa. See you again soon.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for you review of the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. With our great location at the gateway to Tampa's Arts District it is easy to shuttle guests to many great locations such as the Tampa Museum of Art, Tampa History Center, Downtown Tampa's exciting night life and Gastro pubs and the Historic city streets of Ybor City. I am glad they made you feel pampered and I thank you for your business.
Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I can confirm other review. Some levels are occupied by Tampa University students but they are really keeping quiet at night just keeping elevators busy. Rooms would need some fresh up but for a stop over ok. Car park is charged in addition USD 8.00. Hotel is providing free shuttle to some places in town. otherwise staff was friendly and helpful

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We really do appreciate your feedback and value the time it took to review your stay with us. As the winter home for Crew Spring Training and with a location so close to the University of Tampa we are proud to house many university groups including the University of Tampa. Thnak you for your business and we hope to see you again.
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

It was a comfortable room the only thing I didn't like was the fact that I had to search for my room because the number was gone off the wall and I had to pay for parking to stay at my hotel and when you're vacationing on a budget that's not good but the counter rep did work with me but I don't believe I will stay downtown again but overall the stay was great.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you fro taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Should you decide to stay downtown again I hope you will choose our hotel to experience the many exciting changes that are taking place. Thank you for your business.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went to a show at the Straz Center - this hotel was in the perfect location. Hotel room was clean and very comfortable. Front desk was very helpful. Had reserved a king room, but the room assigned was a double - they quickly made it right. Used the chaffeur service which took us anyplace we wanted to go in the downtown area at no extra charge. We parked our vehicle and enjoyed Tampa!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa and apologize for the mix up on your room assignment. I am glad to hear they took care of you right away. It is always nice to hear when a guest has enjoyed their experience with us. Thank you for your business.

Been to The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk? Share your experiences!