3 1/2 Stars - Stayed at this downtown hotel for a couple of days for work. I was in budget so got a good deal from Hotwire ($58 per night) but you have to factor in the $8 per night parking (with in/out privileges). I hear that this is normal if you stay in Downtown Tampa.
Here are the goods:
1) It's next to Straz Center and walking distance to Tampa University.
2) Free shuttle to Ybor strip and other points of interest. (every 15-30 min)
3) Free PC stations in lobby while waiting for shuttle.
4) Cool bar lounge & restaurant in the lobby.
5) Check in was super fast through friendly agents.
6) Free strong Wifi (good for business travelers)
7) My room had a nice river view (stayed on the 11th floor)
8) Room has standard blow dryer, iron, TV, desk plus fridge and microwave.
9) Laundry facilities and gym on 2nd floor (if you plan to use it)
10) Walking distance to Taps Tampa (Tabas Bar & Beer) http://www.tapswineandbeer.com/
Be aware that this hotel is also used as a dorm by Tampa students but they were all friendly and quiet at night. I actually felt safe coming home at night cause of the student traffic.
The Not So Good:
1) The hotel lobby is renovated. Hallway & room are pretty beat up and dated but overall clean.
2) Only 1 elevator was working during my stay cause the other 2 were being renovated. You can take the stairwell down but you cannot take it going up cause the doors were locked?
3) My room had a musty smell. (I think my room has been vacant for a while). But after housekeeping cleaned on the 2nd day, everything smelled fresh!
I heard they will continue sprucing up the hotel so I would like to see it when it's all done. This is family and student friendly hotel. I actually met some pretty cool students and had a great time hanging at the hotel lobby bar. Being next to Straz is a plus if you are planning to see an event!
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown Hotel
- Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown Hotel Tampa
- Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa Downtown
- Tampa Howard Johnson
- Howard Johnson Tampa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown is located adjacent to the David A Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts and the beautiful Hillsborough River. The hotel is approximately 1 mile from the Tampa Convention Center, Tampa Bay Historic Center, Tampa Bay Times Forum, Channelside Dining and Entertainment Complex, and the Port of Tampa Cruise Terminals. The Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown offers a complimentary on-demand shuttle service from 7am until 10pm, 7 days a week. Popular Attractions include Channelside Dining and Entertainment Complex, The Florida Aquarium, and Historic Ybor City. Hotel Amenities Include:- All Non-Smoking Rooms- Onsite Restaurant, WaterWorks Bar & Grill, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.- Free Wireless High Speed Internet Access- Free Local Calls- Business Center- Outdoor Swimming Pool- Onsite Fitness Center- Complimentary Gym Access at Lifestyle Family Fitness- Complimentary Shuttle Service within 2 milesTampa International Airport is only six miles from the Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Wyndham, Orbitz, Tingo, Otel, getaroom.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.