“Excellent Customer Service & Free Shuttles” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk

You added The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk to your Saves list
The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W Fortune Street, 275N Ex-44 I-4/275S Ex-45A, Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown)   |
Ranked #87 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent Customer Service & Free Shuttles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stayed there for one night in May 2012 and was very happy with the customer service provided.

The front desk were very accommodating and polite.

What I really appreciated was the free Shuttle service they offer. Literally saved us about $100 dollars in the 2 days we were there. They dropped us off & picked us up at Channelside on Day 1, and then later dropped/picked me from Walmart.

The next day they dropped us off at the Pier to meet our Carnival ship.

The money saved on transport was more than the cost of the hotel.

Room Tip: The floors seem dirty but the rooms are very clean. Try to get a room facing the city center (not t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Thank you for you kind comments regarding the Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown. Our shuttle is a great service for our guests that will take them anywhere they need to go within 2 miles of the hotel from 7am to 10pm. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

(813) 223-1351 x 3102
tfoley@tampahjp.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed here one night for an event in Ybor City. Location is centric and convenient, and I guess the prices are okay for the area, although no bargain for what it is. The hotel is quite outdated and my room was not clean. The carpet both in the hallway and in the rooms looked and smelled old. The carpet in my room had a lot of stains and the whole room smelled like dirty socks and very musty. I did not dare to take my socks off and walk on that carpet. The wall air conditioning unit also was old and a bit noisy, although bearable. The worst part was the toilet: it had a thick band of grime under the bowl rim (hard to see at first sight), like it hadn't been cleaned in years. Quite disgusting. I didn't have time to ask for cleaning or getting another room, so I had to put up with it. (Note to manager: do a good inspection of the toilet in room 729 to see what I mean.) Furthermore, the shower curtain rod was bent downward, causing the curtain to sag toward the middle of the rod and leaving openings on both sides - which in term got the whole bathroom floor wet no matter how careful I was when taking a shower. The bed covers smelled and were quite wrinkled, which tells me they had not been washed recently. The coffee maker was also dirty. I tried to get some hot water and the steam that came out smelled really bad, and then it stop working before I got any hot water. The lobby of the hotel had a renovation a few years ago, it seems, but the rest of the place is a dump.I'm amazed that this hotel has positive reviews - I guess I got stuck with the dirtiest room in the whole place?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
FoleyT, Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Dear Tatatu,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experiences at the Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown. I am utterly disappointed and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with our hotel. I am working closely with our housekeeping and maintenance departments to insure that these mistakes do not happen again with increased training and supervision. Again, thank you for staying with the Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown and sharing your review of our hotel.

tfoley@tampahjp.com
813-223-1351 ext. 3102
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in February 2012 while leaving on a cruise the next day. Ask for the Ship and Shore Package (call the hotel directly to get this package). We stayed for $109 per night and they provided a FREE Shuttle to and from the cruise port. Also, they allowed us to leave our car there for NO CHARGE. At the port, you'll pay atleast $15 per DAY. So do the math, you're practically staying there for $50... They were prompt in picking us up when we called them once we got back (they provided us with a card with all contact information).

The hotel room was spacious and clean and the staff was very kind. I would recommend this hotel to any cruiser. Also, I think they will shuttle you to and from the airport for free as well.

We are returning to this same hotel on May 27th, 2012 and will be receiving the same package. I spoke with Carlos, who was a nice and helpful gentleman. He appreciated my business.

I look forward to my stay and my cruise with Carnival...... :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
FoleyT, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your previous experience and excitement of your return to the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa on TripAdvisor. With our Ship to Shore package we do offer the free shuttle service to and from the Port of Tampa while you park your vehicle with us but we do not offer free Airport shuttles. Rowe Transportation does have shuttle service to and from the airport for a small fee.
We are looking forward to your upcoming arrival and hope you share your next experience as well on TripAdvisor.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was recently in town for a convention. When coming to the front of the building the main door was rattling as it slid along its track. The interior has pale lighting and a strange use of colors on the walls that just scream run down. I started to my room and a guest had to get out on the 3rd floor. Once the doors opened it was like a locker room had been closed off for 2 years and just opened complete with sweaty drawers and all. I have no idea what it was but the musty smell was enough to make a passenger cover their mouth to avoid throwing up on us. The room was standard not bad at all but nothing current. TV's are old and only have inputs via coax. The bathroom design has the toilet so close to the shower you have to step around it to get out. Did have a fridge and microwave in my room but other mates did not have that. The staff was pleasant and very helpful though. Answered all our questions and the hotel does provide free shuttle service.

Hojo decide are you a hotel or college dorm. I would prefer to stay at a place that was servicing the tourist industry/out of towners. I would not expect a 139.00/night room to be competing with a college dorm 4 floors below me.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd-6th floors and from what I gathered from the staff come school time next year ALL but...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa on TripAdvisor. I apologize that your experience and impression of the Howard Johnson Plaza was less than satisfying.
As you have noticed we do have University of Tampa students stay with us under a current contract with the University and the floors you had mentioned 3rd-6th floors are only occupied with students. We do not rent out those rooms during the fall and spring semesters to our guests while they have the floors contracted.
Thank you for recognizing our staff and shuttle service in your review, it is our goal to provide the best service to each and every guest. We look forward to your return in the future as we continue to renovate.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at this HJ on April 7, 2012, prior to a cruise on April 8. We booked their stay and cruise package which gave us one night accommodation, shuttle to and from cruise port plus parking for the duration of the cruise. The staff were great, shuttle service excellent, nice room. This property also offers a shuttle service to anything within 2 miles of the hotel, so we took it downtown after checking in, and rode the streetcar and had dinner downtown. The lower floors of this hotel are used by the university for dorm rooms, but we were totally unaware of any students or any issues during our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for water view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
First and foremost I thank you for your business. I also thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza in Downtown Tampa. It is very nice to hear when we get it right. With the goal of outstanding service to every guest every time we pride ourselves on great reviews such as yours. Thank you
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

They offer special rates for cruisers with parking included and a shuttle to the port. It has the best price this close to the port - we were able to walk to the port the day before the cruise to check out the action.
The bar sucks - dirty and bad atmosphere; internet signal weak.
The rooms are clean; some stains on the carpet, no fridge, no microwave.
They have a coffee machine, blowdryer and the rooms are spacious. Internet (inclusive) signal is strong in the room (#811). View is pleasant.
Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
I am sorry that you found our bar not to your liking I have shared your comments with the Restaurant and Bar Manger to ensure that improvements have been made.We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. Feed back such as yours is invaluable in helping us to improve and recognizing what we are doing well. I am pleased that enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter this last weekend for a volleyball tournament at the convention center and we paid a group rate of $60 per night plus $8 per day parking. This was pretty good considering the hotel was booked to capacity. In addiion to volleyball, there was also a cheer leading competition also at the convention center. The hot breakfast buffet was $9.95 and continental wad $6.95. It was reasonable and convenient as there is not much within a short walk for breakfast.

As another reviewer mentioned regarding the shuttle, the front desk staff is not realistic when it comes to the shuttle. We had to be at the convention center for 10:00 a.m., so they said 9:15 would be ample time. But the preople waiting for the cruise port seemed to have preference although we had several rooms rented there. So I would say that this was a negative. Some of us ended up walking the 1.5 miles.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. Feed back such as yours is invaluable in helping us to improve and recognizing what we are doing well. I am pleased that enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you felt the front desk was unrealistic in forecasting the shuttle pickup times. I have addressed this with the guest services department and stressed the importance of giving the most accurate forecast possible for shuttle pickup. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.

Been to The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk? Share your experiences!