“Location and Price drew me to this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W Fortune Street, 275N Ex-44 I-4/275S Ex-45A, Tampa, FL 33602   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #86 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“Location and Price drew me to this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I was attending a conference at the Convention Center downtow, and did not want to pay an arm and leg for a hotel room. The hotel is located approx 1 mile from the convention center, a straight and easy walk. One evening, I did not get out of the center until 10:30 pm, however felt vey safe walking to the hotel. The weather was great luckily.
Unfortunately, when I checked into the hotel, the receptionist was not helpful in informing me of the free shuttle. When I arrived to the hotel following my mile long walk, the shuttle had pulled up with other attendees from the conference. They stated they had gotten on the shuttle in the front of the convention center. When you walk to and from the convention center from the hotel, you automatically enter and exit from the back of the convention center, which is why I didn't see the shuttle. The following morning, I opted for the shuttle, however it really wasn't necessary. I appreciated the exercise from the walk, having to sit in an all day conference.
The room was on the very top floor (floor 14) and was quite comfortable with wonderful water views. The room had a flat screen TV and coffee maker. I had already read the reviews about the college kids, so wan't surprised. The only complaint I had was when I entered the elevator to go up to my room, a van full of the kids had just arrived. One ran to cath the elevator I was on and held the door for several others. They must have pushed 6 or 7 other floors, so I had to just grit my teeth with patience.
Parrking was $8 per night. One review I read stated there was free parking on weekends in the vicinity. I did not finfd any free parking so was happy to pay the $8.
I would definitely stay here again if I were able to get the reasonable price of $72 again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
FoleyT, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa for your recent lodging needs during your conference at the Convention Center. Although the walk is very nice to and from the Convention Center, I apologize our Guest Service Representative did not inform you of our free shuttle service within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. The Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa's location certainly has spectacular views of Downtown and of the Hillsborough River. We look forward to your future stays with us and thank you for sharing your guest experience on TripAdvisor.

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My son is residing at HoJos as a freshman at University of Tampa. For his birthday celebration, they put together a really tasty, fun gathering to celebrate with his friends. The food was great and Chef Steve made sure they had enough food. I would recommend this restaurant and their reliability when trying to plan a celebration so far away from home.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Larry C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
First and foremost I thank you for your business. I also thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza in Downtown Tampa. It is very nice to hear when we get it right. With the goal of outstanding service to every guest every time we pride ourselves on great reviews such as yours. Thank you
Crossville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We (3 couples; 3 rooms) stayed at the HoJo on a Saturday night prior to a cruise leaving on Sunday. The hotel has been converted to a college dorm as floors 3-12 were all college kids. The kids were quiet and polite, tho and we didn't have any problems with them. In fact, we were the only table in the restaurant for breakfast on Sunday morning.

We paid $109 for our room for the night. The rooms were a little older, but clean. Considering it was a college dorm, we should have paid a lot less. We would not have stayed there knowing the place was full of college kids.

Their employee, Manny, drove us to and from the Carnival Cruise port. He was friendly, polite and quite interesting. Great job, Manny!!

Room Tip: Only the 13th floor is available for guests. Ask if the college kids are there prior to booking you...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
FoleyT, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
As the Assistant General Manager of the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We currently have a contracted group from University of Tampa in our hotel.

With our Ship to Shore Package including free shuttle transportation to and from the port we understand what a convenience this is for our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience with Manny during your travels as this will not go unrecognized.

cape coral, florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011 via mobile

No kidding! This hotel has been converted to a dormitory for the University of Tampa! Only the top floor is still used as a hotel!
I went down to the lobby and it appeared that someone had a shampoo fight in the elevator and I almost slipped and fell!
Thank goodness we were only booked for one night!

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor of the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa. As the Assistant General Manager, I am concerned when a guest has a stay that is less than 100% satisfactory. It is our goal to provide the best accommodations and services in the lodging industry today, and we regret that this did not occur during your recent visit to this Howard Johnson. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience of our large group contract of University of Tampa has made during your stay.

Although your experience at our hotel was not the best, we are glad you shared your concerns with us. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to serving you on future trips. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay further.

(813)223-1351
tfoley@tampahjp.com
Dacula, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We booked this hotel for the Ship and Shore package. I had read some unfavorable reviews on Trip Advisor and sent a couple of emails to Tracy Foley with my concerns. Both emails were answered promptly. When we arrived we were checked in and up to our room in no time. The front desk staff were very friendly and answered all our questions concerning the area. When we were getting bags out of the car a maintenance man stopped to see if we needed help getting them into the hotel! My husband was concerned about leaving a car parked there - no problem! very secure parking lot. We had a beautiful room - there was no problem getting an elevator and as far as students we only saw a few! We ate in their restaurant and then walked over to the Riverwalk to enjoy the area. Sunday morning got up and had our coffee in our room overlooking the city. We then went down to get on the shuttle for the cruise and Manny took us right over. When we returned called the hotel and Manny came for us and welcomed us back to "reality". This was such a deal for $89! Try parking at the cruise port for that... We will be staying there again on our next cruise out of Tampa. Really great staff and a nice room!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
FoleyT, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write a review of your experience at the Howard Johnson Plaza. We are glad to hear that you utilized our Ship and Shore package for your recent cruise. We look forward to your future stays with us and can only hope that we exceed your expectation every visit.

tfoley@tampahjp.com
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I recently returned from Tampa after a Nursing convention and stayed at this hotel for 4 days. Yes it was a college dorm on floors 1-12. I also felt that customers should be told this prior to accepting the reservation however with that being said the hotel was clean and convenient to the downtown area. Everything was within walking distance or you could use the complimetary shuttle. The students were mannerly and quiet at the hotel. We did not have any trouble with them or with the hotel staff. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We just returned from our cruise on the Carnival Legend, and booked this hotel's ship and shore package, which basically allows you 1-night's lodging, complimentary shuttle to and from the cruise port, and the right to park your vehicle on the premises for the length of the cruise....All for $89.00. Not everything was perfect about our stay, but they were all minor. We requested and were promised a city-view room, and didn't get it. We lived. The hotel compensated this by giving us a free breakfast the next morning (4 of us). Our room was technically a non-smoking room, and upon entering the door for the first time, we immediately smelled cigarette smoke. Within minutes, a maid came up there and took care of the odor. Room was fine with a great view (of the river and Bucs stadium, but not city-view), bathrooms were fine (although my wife regretted that the bathroom had no exhaust fan to remove the humidity), and for all that came with the package, there isn't a better deal to be found. I mean, just to PARK at the cruise port, would cost more than the entire lodging and parking package this hotel offers. The lobby area is very nice, and the rooms are fine. I would recommend this place, and especially the Ship and Shore package.

Room Tip: Be aware that this is also a college dorm, though we had no problems some others have had with the s...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
FoleyT, Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa and our Ship To Shore package. I personally apologize that we where unable to honor your request for the City view due to our high level of occupancy during your stay. Please contact me directly for any future reservations and I will personally do my very best to have your room ready with a city view.

Operations Manager

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown? Share your experiences!