“A Nice Enough Hotel in a Great Location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W Fortune Street, 275N Ex-44 I-4/275S Ex-45A, Tampa, FL 33602   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #86 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Myers Beach
“A Nice Enough Hotel in a Great Location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed in a room on an upper floor with a river view, so the scenery was lovely. The room itself lacked some amenities--no fridge, a small screen TV, a one-cup coffee maker, plastic-coated PAPER cups, and one tiny wastebasket. The bed and linens were fine, and so was the bathroom, if a little dated and with very little counter space. I was worried about staying here because I had heard that U of Tampa students used this hotel as an overflow dorm and that they created a lot of noise. I saw the college kids around, but I never heard them, so that was not a problem. I got a very good price on the hotel from priceline.com. In this downtown location, hotels are rather pricey, and that is why I took the chance of staying here. The front desk staff was extremely helpful, and the hotel has a van service that was at our disposal and took us and picked us up around town. This service alone made it worth staying here. The only thing I hated was paying $8.00 a night for parking. All things considered, I would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
FoleyT, Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa for your travel needs. We are so glad you enjoyed the river view scenery. I apologize that you were unhappy with the amenities and small bathroom counter space that your room seemed to lack, but we do have rooms that offer a refrigerator and microwave on other floors. As you have read in other reviews we do provide the University of Tampa selected rooms and floors in our hotel and we share very strict guidelines with the University regarding their housing at our location. We here at the Howard Johnson Plaza strive to provide excellent customer service and appreciate your honest review.

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Was a little weary traveling solo to Downtown Tampa, but the staff and ammenities at the HoJo made it all worry free. The shuttle took me where I needed to go while I was there and the restaurant was surprizingly delish. Every member of the staff that I encountered was extremely pleasant. I would recommend this HOJO to anyone traveling to the Tampa area. I was on the 10th floor and the view was spectacular. The rooms are very nice but it is an older hotel so the bathrooms are out dated and small but very clean.

Room Tip: 10th floor view of the downtown area is AWESOME...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Larry C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
First and foremost I thank you for your business. I also thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza in Downtown Tampa. It is very nice to hear when we get it right. With the goal of outstanding service to every guest every time we pride ourselves on great reviews such as yours. Thank you
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

My family and i had a wonderful time at the hojo. Its was my daughter wedding reception and the hojo went above and beyond to satisfy our needs. The staff were friendly, the food was EXCELLENT and over all the hotel is very neat and clean. I will definately recommend this hotel to a friend all we will be back in july....... THANKS HOJO

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
FoleyT, Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, June 4, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa for your banquet and lodging needs. We are very pleased to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time at your daughters wedding. We look forward to seeing you all again in July!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011 via mobile

Hotel looks decent from the looks of the lobby but that's it. Rooms remind me of a cheap and cheesy motel. No fridge or microwave in room (even though it's supposed to be a 3 star hotel) Its more like a 1 star. Instead of a new roll of toilet paper for each guest they just leave it for the next guests. AC was loud and was never really cold. I don't understand how this place has good reviews! It deceived me into staying here and you definitely couldn't pay me to do it again.

• Stayed May 2011
Larry C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry that you were less than pleased with your experience. We have made many changes since your stay with us and I would love to have you come back to experience the many great changes we that have taken place since your last visit.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011 via mobile

My family stayed at the Howard Johnson because it seemed like a good deal and was close to the ship port for our cruise. The room smelled horrible and musty. The bathroom had what looked like pubic hair all over the place and you could clearly tell that it wasn't cleaned for who knows how long. We were initially excited to learn that there was a restaurant and bar in the hotel but was disappointed once we visited them. The food was over priced for the quality and staff was rude. Multiple cockroaches were spotted. One girl who im believing was a manager was clearly drunk. The only positive thing about this hotel was the shuttle. It goes anywhere around downtown so you can escape your nasty room and the drivers were always helpful. I feel ripped off and would have much rather payed a little bit more money for a much better experience. Just do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011
FoleyT, Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
As the Operations Manager of the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Downtown-Tampa, I would like to express my sincerest apology for the inconveniences you and your family endured during your stay with us. With that being said I would like to offer a full refund to you and your family. What you experienced is not the standard we strive to uphold. Although your stay with us was not the best, we are glad you shared your concerns with us. By allowing us the opportunity to address this matter we can prevent a recurrence and another guest's disappointment.

Sincerley,

Lowell, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

I booked my stay through hotels.com after arriving in Tampa to find my original hotel reservations were canceled due to an error at the hotel. When I arrived to check in at 1:00pm a very nice manager was able to get me into a room early so I could shower and make it back to the convention by 3:00pm.

When I returned back to my room that evening I was greeted with a lovely wine and cheese plate from Chef Steve. Chef Steve's generosity and kindness and the understanding of the hotel staff truly did brighten my day and make my stay in Tampa a pleasant one!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
FoleyT, Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out and sharing your experience at the Howard Johnson Plaza-Tampa. As the Operations Manager I am always delighted to hear how our staff will go above and beyond for our guests. It is a very competitive market and we realize that you have many choices for your accomidations and we always want to ensure 100% guest satisfaction. We look forward to your future stays with the Howard Johnson Plaza-Tampa.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

This was the loudest unruliest hotel I have ever stayed in. The university of Tampa decided to throw all of its overflow students in and they were loud obnoxious and constantly drunk. if your going to not mention this to potential customers then at least put all of the college students on one floor so the guests can have peace and quiet. the Shower was awful too and the drain was always clogged and the water would not go down. I will never stay here again...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
FoleyT, Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
On behalf of the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown-Tampa I would like to apologize for your previous stay with us. Yes we do offer housing to the University of Tampa, however they are not the ones that disrupted your stay. The University of Tampa is on their own floors at this property and are under strict guide of being an alcohol free housing. The group that did cause the disturbance is now on our "do not rebook list". Again we apologize for what an inconvience your stay with us was and as we move forwad they will not be returning to our property. If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me directly and I will be more than pleased to have you try us again in the future.

Operation Manager
(813)223-1351

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown? Share your experiences!