“On USF campus, mixed hospitality” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Falcon's Fury Package
Ranked #18 of 159 hotels in Tampa
“On USF campus, mixed hospitality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently visited this hotel on the USF campus for business. The hotel is surrounded by USF, highways and strip malls, so if you're looking for a Florida vacation spot is not for you.

The hotel itself has recently undergone some renovations. Rooms were spacious and beds were comfortable. A large atrium centers the hotel and houses check in, breakfast/manager's cocktail space and a small bar/lounge serving food. Some staff members were very nice and helpful.

On the evening of our stay, my colleagues and I returned to the hotel around 10:40 pm and headed to the bar area for a beer and something to eat. The kitchen must have been closing around 11 because the waiter was completely irritated that he had to serve us. We asked if we could still order food and he said "I guess so" and proceeded to show his annoyance with us through the entire process. I ordered hummus, a colleague asked for a grilled chicken salad, etc. so it's not like we asked for a full meal. The waiter also never told us that the area would be closing. I have worked in the food industry, so I get it. If he had said something like "we're starting to close the kitchen, but I'll see what we can do" or "we can serve [1, 2, 3, ...8] choices" we would have been totally understanding and happy with our less then full menu selections.

The next morning - the day we were checking out - housekeeping slipped my room receipt under the door and proceeded to bang on the door loudly until I arrived to answer it. When I did answer the woman had nothing to say. I suppose they were just checking to see if I was still occupying the space. I confirmed with my colleagues they received the same wake up.

We arrived around 9 am for the complimentary breakfast. The food was quite good and I appreciated the omlettes made-to-order especially for a free breakfast. There is a large HD TV at one end of the breakfast area and serveral speaker stations to listen to the broadcast. The Today Show was playing - I thought it was a nice touch. During the week the breakfast ends at 9:30 am. I expected the staff to shut down the omlette station at that time and start cleaning up the buffet. Instead, while we and many others were still eating at 9:30, a member of the staff abruptly turns off the tv and begins to collect ketchup, salt and pepper from all tables, including those occupied by hotel guests who were still eating.

The hotel, while generic, is clean and rooms were fine. However, I can't imagine ever staying here again unless I have to do business at/around USF.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear MomTravels,
Thank You for responding about your recent stay at my hotel. I appreciate your comments on the service and have shared these with the team to improve on making sure we exceeed your expectations. I was pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast and location of the hotel for your business. I hope on your next trip to Tampa you choose to stay with us again.

617 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
West Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We took my Daughter to see the USF campus and the hotel stay went without a hitch. I even called for pillows around 11:00PM and was promptly provided 3 as requested. It is a pleasure when everything goes as planned with a stay and this hotel did not disappoint us. Pleasant stay and the hot breakfast started off our day at the campus on the right foot. We will return.

Dear Noles103
Thank You, I was pleased to read that while visiting USF the hotel met you expectations. We appreciate your feedback and hope on your next trip to campus you stay here again.

Saint Augustine, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel was great. The breakfast was excellent, the rooms are comfortable, and the location is convenient. The only problem I encountered was that housekeeping came into the room before I checked out and cleaned all of my food out of the fridge (full, unopened drinks and snacks) and actually came back a 2nd time while I was actually in the room changing. They should definitely leave the guests alone until they can verify check out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear jessjacknickliam

Thank You for taking the time to comment on your stay at the hotel. I appreciate you comments about waiting til the guest checks out to come in the room and have shared with housekeeping. I was pleased that you enjoy the breakfast and rest of the hotel. I hope when you return to the area you choose to stay with us again.

Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I enjoyed staying here recently.Room was nice and clean,breakfast was good and shuttle service they provide within a 5 miles radius was excellent.I would stay here again.Good location close to USF;Busch Gardens,not far from downtown Tampa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Sabrina3665,
Thank You taking the time to comment how nice your recent stay was at the hotel. I was pleased and have shared this with the management team. I hope on your next trip to Tampa you choose to stay here again.
Thanks,

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed recently for several nights. Checked in at approximately 2:30 pm and was sent to two rooms that were occupied by housekeeping and/or construction personnel. I was ready to ask for a refund and finally got a key for an unoccupied room. Hotel is under reconstruction and the noise is unbearable during the day when workers are present (jackhammering the tile). Only one of the three elevators is operable, so request a room on a lower floor or wait forever for a crowded ride. Staff is not friendly or engaging. The location is the best part of this hotel......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear h w
Thank You for your comments on the recent stay. I have shared your response with the Management Team to correct for the future. We appreciate the feedback and have responded to your concerns. The renovation is now completed and service culture is being addressed. Thank You and hope to see you in the near future in the hotel.

Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a nice Embassy Suites (but I still feel the best one in the area is the one in Brandon.) They were in the process of renovating this property. Breakfast was good, but not the best. The shuttle service they provide (on demand) within a 5 miles radius was Excellent. They were always prompt and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear LadyMarvel213
Thank you for recently staying at the property and commenting on the visit. I was pleased that you enjoyed the service and hope on your next trip to Tampa you will stay with us again.

Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

It has been a little while since I stayed in a Embassy Suites, I have opted for the less expensive Marriot versions recently, but in this case, this hotel was more convenient so I gave it a try. It was as nice as the Embassy Suites I remembered, much better than the Marriot versions. I see in some other reviews that it was just remodeled, everything looks new and clean. Got a room on the 3rd floor, which was fortunate since only 1 of the 3 elevators was working. I think it is an 8 story building, so the one time we took the elevator, there was a long wait. The rest of the time, we took the stairs. Dont think the hotel was that full, USF was on Christmas break, otherwise it would have been a nightmare. We enjoyed the free drinks and snacks in the evening and the breakfast in the morning. There was a good selection for each. I heard some complaints from some of the other guests that they didnt start serving until 7am on weekends, but it didnt seem like a big deal. Normally, I would expect freshly brewed coffee to be available in the morning. All they had was a Nescafe machine that they forgot to turn on. The breakfast lady said she was sorry and opened the machine and put in a fresh bag of what looked like coffee syrup...yuk. You would think that at $160 a night, they could come up with something better than that. Water in the shower was warm, not hot. I really wanted to give this 5 stars because there is so much to like here, but the little things show a lack of attention to detail. I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Not all stairwells are open to the 1st floor, ours opened to the 2nd floor only, unless you wanted t...