“Conference of Distraction” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Conference of Distraction”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I attended a Certified Occupancy Specialist conference from 12/19/12 - 12/21/12 at this hotel. I can only speak for the conference room experience because I did not stay in the room.

First the pros: The hotel is in a great location ... near Busch Gardens, on the USF main campus, close to I-75 & I-275, within 10 minutes of driving are almost 100 restaurants to choose from (most on Fowler Ave & Fletcher Ave). The atrium decor is great. It gives a feel of an open air court yard. There is plenty of parking.

Now for the conference. They accepted the reservation while the hotel was under remodeling construction. Day 1 started in Suite G. It was private & big enough for the class but the walls were too thin to keep out the noise from the other conferences going on.

Day 2 started with the class moved to a room on the second floor. The second floor had carpets pulled up & rolls of carpet laying around. It was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Fortunately the conference had no one confined to a wheel chair. There were parts of the carpet lifted up which some of the attendants stumbled on. The worst part came when some of the subcontractors started removing tile on the 7th floor. The jack hammer like machine's vibration could be felt in the classroom. The noise made it impossible to hear. I went to the front desk while the instructor tried to talk over the noise. I asked the front desk someone could put a halt to the noise. I was answered with, "The manager is not here. He is the only one that can ask." I explained the situation. All they said was there was nothing they could do because they were not authorized to tell the contractors what to do. At this point, I went to the 3rd floor & asked a mexican contractor in spanish where the noise was coming from. He directed me to the 7th floor. I went to the 7th floor and found the two workers using two tile removers. The noise was deafening. When I got their attention, I asked if they could hold up til 5 PM because we had a class that we could not hear. They apologized and said "no problem".. This all goes to show that the front desk were either lying or just not trying.

Day 3 started with the class moved back to the original room. This time the display easel was not moved to the room and the instructor could not display the equations. I went to the front desk and told them they forgot the easel. This time they gladly complied. the easel showed up 15 minutes later.

Oh yeah, the coffee was cold by the afternoon and was never refreshed. There were no microwave to warm them up.

Not sure about the room experience but the conference experience was not conducive to learning.

Room Tip: When booking a hotel make sure it is not under construction.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Johnny-Boricua,
Thank You for commenting on your recent meeting at my hotel. I apologize for the issue with the noise from new carpet being installed in the corridoors and having to change rooms. I have addressed this with the construction crew as to eliminate this type issue in the future. I have also met with the banquet department about the cold coffee and the need to ensure we keep the coffee hot at all times. I hope the rest of your meeting went well and you will return to the hotel in the future.

595 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed here before for 1 day a couple of weeks ago, and again 2 days ago for 1 night, just so my husband and I could go to Busch Gardens. The location couldnt be any better. Literally 5 mins away from Busch gardens. They have a shuttlle that takes you there, and they give you their card to call them whenever youre ready to be picked up again. The breakfast buffet they have its amazing. everything you could possibly think of, they have it. And its FREE! When we checked in, the front desk agent that helped us was Mark, he was so professional and courteous with us, we really felt welcomed. A couple of minutes after i got to my room, he gave us a courtesy call to make sure everything was ok, and if we needed anything to call him. I have never experienced that in any hotel. This is really the only hotel in tampa i would go to again, and again. Thank you!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Maria A
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was pleased to read that you are a return guest and again enjoyed the hotel. I have passed along to Mark how you mentioned the excellent service he provided. I hope the next time you come to Busch Gardens you choose to stay here again.

Helena, Mt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights on business. Location is on edge of Univ. of S Florida campus with positives of a multitude of safe area for walking or running and would be very convenient for attendance at Busch Gardens; drawbacks of the location are that it is a difficult, long distance from the Tampa airport and restaurants or fast food aren't within reasonable walking distance, although the hotel does provide a shuttle. Service and amenities were excellent, including the usual Embassy Suites cooked-to-order breakfast and an evening reception with a decent variety of light snacks (not enough for a meal). Hotel was clean and meeting room was good. When I found I had to leave a day early, the hotel let me out of the reservation without charging the cancellation fee.

Dear ClarkCreek,
Thank for the positve comments concerning your stay at my hotel. I appreciate your feedback and glad that the staff was accomidating during your meeting. I hope on your next trip to Tampa you choose to stay with us again.

Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is a very busy area and we were looking for a hotel that would be central to everything we wanted to do. This hotel was close to both I-75 and I-275 as well as all the attractions. The rooms were clean, spacious and the free breakfast was outstanding. Better than any Denny's or Bob Evans. The free cocktails in the evening was a nice touch and included snacks for that after dinner nibbles alert. This was not our first stay and we plan to go back. The staff was very friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators are much quieter. Higher floors facing Fowler provides a beautiful vi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Cynthia-Rick J
Thank You for sharing your positive stay at the hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed the service and location of the hotel. We pride ourselvers in servinga quality breakfast with the suite to start your day. It was nice to read that this wasn't your first visit and hope you stay again on your next trip to Tampa.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a very busy hotel, located close to both the University of South Florida and Busch Gardens. I was expecting a difficult time here as I knew the staff would be busy keeping up with all the activity. I was pleasantly surprised that the staff addressed my every need in a timely and professional manner. Just one example: I was about to leave the hotel to give a speech when a button fell off my suit coat. Normally, my coat would be sent to a cleaners to put the button back on. Instead, the manager found someone on the staff who could sew the button back on immediately. I was so grateful.

The facilities are a bit tired from so much use and renovation is in order, as noted by some others. But for all intents and purposes, this is an ideal hotel for tourists as well as business travelers.

Anthony-Susan,
Thank You for taking the time to share your experience at my hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed the service and we were able to fix your button. I have shared your comments with the staff and hope the next time your in Tampa you choose to stay with us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Whenever I visit Busch Gardens (my last trip was in Sept) I stay at this hotel. It is very close to Busch Gardens, includes breakfast and free cocktails from 5-7. The ambiance is great and this is one of my favorite Embassy Hotels in Florida. I'm recommending it for business travel or couples visiting the Busch Gardens area. I didn't check out the pool so I can't comment on it.

• Stayed September 2012
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Octorafest,
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the property. I appreciate how you enjoy staying here when visiting Busch Gardens. I have shared your comments with the staff and hope you have the chance to return and see Christmas Town. Again Thank You and hope to see you soon in the hotel.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was here for two nights for a conference. The hotel is on the USF campus and is near any number of chain restaurants on Fowler Avenue. The hotel is attractive and well-landscaped. Check-in was quick and the staff very pleasant. I had an executive suite which comes with a conference table. I don't have conferences in the room but use the large table to spread out my work documents. Plus these rooms have an extra window, making the room quite bright.

The furniture and decorations are standard-issue Embassy Suites. The room was clean and the housekeeping staff quite nice. The bathrooms are large and brightly lit, a plus for putting on makeup. It was also spotless.

I didn't eat in their restaurant but the free breakfast is nice enough and they'll cook eggs-to-order if you wish. My only complaint is that they were running out of to-go coffee cups and creamer for the coffee too regularly. Some of the buffet items didn't appear to be refreshed regularly enough either. But these are small complaints in my book.

I've always enjoyed the atrium lobby and look forward to the free drinks and snacks at the end of a workday. Altogether an expected pleasure to stay here.

Room Tip: I prefer the executive suites which come with the large conference table.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear rbirds49,
Thank You for taking the time to comment on the hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay during your conference. As you commented the Embassy Suites are a nice desiogn and the Breakfast and Managers Reception are nice amenities of the brand. I hope on your next trip to Tampa you choose to stay with us again.

Larry Cooper

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens? Share your experiences!