“Good location for a trip to Busch Gardens” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Christmas Town 2014
Ranked #13 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
England
“Good location for a trip to Busch Gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We booked this hotel for one night post-cruise and in order to take a trip to Busch Gardens.

The hotel is a typical Embassy Suites so we knew what to expect and it delivered just that. A very warm welcome and good service from any staff we encountered. We arrived really early, expecting to have to store our bags, but were able to check in straight away (at around 9 am). We requested a high floor, quiet location and got just that - we could see Busch Gardens from our room

Good sized suite with plenty of amenities (fridge, microwave etc) - more than adequate for just two of us. We really like the idea of the managers cocktail party and enjoyed a few chips/dips/nibbles and some (very strong) drinks for a couple of hours in the evening. Having had a full day at Busch Gardens we didn't want to venture out so ate at the bar, the restaurant was closed due to a large function (wedding) in the hotel. It's nice to get a full cooked breakfast the next day too. Embassy Suites don't come cheap, compared to some hotels, but if you factor in the free drinks and breakfast it really works out to be pretty good value.

The hotel offers a free shuttle service to and from Busch Gardens, which we took advantage of so that we didn't have to park the car.

I can't really comment on the location of the hotel for a longer stay - we were only there for one night - but for a quick trip to Busch Gardens this place ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank You for your comments on the property. We hope you enjoyed Busch Gardens and return to the hotel soon.
Larry Cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I love Embassy Suites. Growing up, it was the choice hotel of my family. It took me until I was older to realize my parents loved it because they got a free breakfast for me and my siblings, and they could get sloshed for free every afternoon at happy hour. After I graduated college, it was my now fiance's and my choice hotel as well, for the free breakfast and happy hours on a limited budget.

I hasn't been to one in a few years, and while I was looking forward to returning, this was a work trip, so I knew that I wouldn't get to partake in the free happy hour. This Embassy Suites has what you expect from the brand: made to order hot breakfast complete with an omelet station, the large atrium and glass ceiling that really gives the hotel an open aired feeling, the waterfalls that run through the lobby, and obviously the suite rooms.

I had a few hiccups while I stayed here. First, one night I called three times for a wake up call and nobody answered. I went down to the bar and had a few drinks and when I returned an hour later was able to get someone on the phone, but if I was going to sleep right then, obviously this would have been problematic. Also, my boss was told that the hotel ran shuttles to the airport. When we asked about this the night before we left, we were told this wasn't true, and we needed a cab. The company paid, so it wasn't a big deal to us, but if it had been coming out of my own pocket I would have been annoyed. The last night I was there, suddenly, in the middle of the night, the smoke alarm in my room started beeping because the battery was dying. This was at 4:15 in the morning and I had an early flight later that morning, so I was less than amused. I called and security came up to fix it and came up quickly, but I could have done without this wake up call. When I was checking out, a mysterious charge at the restaurant had shown up on my bill which I didn't charge. This was taken off by the man at the front desk (I'm assuming this is true, I just left). One last nitpick: one day while I was gone the maid who cleaned my room jacked up the heat in my room all the way to the mid-high 70s for some reason. No idea why, but it made the room swelteringly hot after a long day.

Obviously all these range from really small nitpicks to small gripes, none of which are dealbreakers. If you like Embassy Suites, you're going to like this hotel. It seems there is a dearth of quality hotels in the area, and with the proximity to USF and Busch Gardens, this is a solid choice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank You for taking the time to respond about your visit to my hotel. I apologize for the phone not answerd at the desk, mix up with the shuttle and housekeeping turning your heat up. I have addressed these with the staff and your comments are very helpful in improving our service levels. We appreciate your business and hope when you return to Tampa you choose to stay with us again.
Thanks You

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Great room for the price! Free breakfast, Managers Social. Food in Restaurant was good as well. On the campus of USF, very convenient to university, stores and highways. Will definetly stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank You for taking the time to share your experiences at my hotel. We appreciate your business and I have shared these with the staff so we can better serve our guest. Again, Thank You and hope on your next trip to Tampa you stay with us again.

Nesbit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My 15 year old grandaughter & I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. We were in room 231. Nice room, even with the lizard that lived with us!! Just a small chameleon, he was kinda cute. The problem is they were doing remodeling down the hall in a meeting room. Horrible smell from carpet glue, dirty workmen should watch what they talk about when others can hear them, especially when a 15 year old walks past them to get ice. Dirty ripped out carpet left in hallway.

The girl in the gift shop needs to check over her merchandise to make sure tee shirts come in every size. I had to settle for a large (which was the ONLY size they had in each style), wanted a medium. She should check over to make sure the tee shirt is acceptable. Didn;t notice until coming home that it was the one on top, in the display case by the window and there is a HUGE sun bleached spot that looks like a "box outline" on the front of this shirt. It is now useless to me and cost me $21...not happy.

Also she did not know the difference between a "pump" hair spray and an "aerosol can". I had to try to explain what I needed and when she handed me a can, I said that is what I mean by can vs. pump spray.

The shuttle drivers were all very nice. But keep in mind, shuttle service is VERY limited. They could not even get us to the zoo, because it was approximately 2 miles out of their "range".

People at front desk were great. Breakfast buffet very good. I was expecting a lot more at the manager's reception than just chips/dip/veggies. I've stayed at Drury Inn's that have salad, hot dogs, wings, nacos and cheese and was expecting the same here. Free drinks are always good. They had a pizza on the bar and I wanted a piece and the bartender told me it's for display and had to order it from Pizza Hut!

Felt safe here being a grandma with a 15 year old.

When I asked a person checking the pool area, where the control is for the hot tub, he gave me a look like I was some sort of idiot and snapped back, "right there on the wall". It's behind a plastic box, that I had to open (how did I know I should open the box). The guy was not nice.

Room Tip: Try to get a upper floor for a better view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I went to the hotel for work and it is a great hotel, the free breakfast was good, I had a nice room and I loved the free drinks and snacks they have at night. The only problem I had with the hotel was it took me 30 minutes just to check in. The old man (I think his name was Matt or something) was friendly but so slow, by the time he was done checking me in the girl working with him had checked in at least three other people if not more. The rest of the staff was great though and I will stay there again but I will just avoid having him check you in if I can.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Fort Myers
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

The hotel is a typical Embassy Suites location, although the hotel is in need of significant renovations. If you are doing anything at USF, USF Health, or Moffitt, this is the closest hotel to those locations. I was willing to trade off the disrepair for being on the USF campus.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Grayson, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

If you are going to USF or Moffitt its a good location on campus.
They have a shutttle that will take you within a 5 mile radius so pretty convenient. Also has a nice outdoor pool.
My only complaint was that the room had a musty smell and the bed wasnt very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens? Share your experiences!