“Acceptable budget hotel in an expensive city” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #66 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Toronto, Ontario
“Acceptable budget hotel in an expensive city”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My wife and I were coming to Tampa for a cruise but decided to come a few days early to explore the city, I haven’t been in Tampa since I was a child and I love exploring. We arrived at the airport and phoned the hotel for a pick-up as they don’t have regular shuttle service. A shuttle was dispatched and arrived about a half an hour later. The hotel is actually more of a motel but is clean and generally well kept for a budget accommodation. There are some signs of wear and tear and the walls are thin, but you can’t expect the Ritz for $67 a night. The mattress was average, not fantastic but not uncomfortable either. There is a complimentary hot continental breakfast provided that is more than would be offered at most hotels, fresh waffles, sausage, hot and cold eggs, cereals and fruits etc. Breakfast was so plentiful that we didn’t need a lunch. The pool is also very clean and heated to eighty, wonderful to have after a long day. Unfortunately for us the air temp dropped to the low fifties when the sun went down on the day we utilized the pool. We didn’t notice the change until we left the water; it proved to be a cold run back to the room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Dave our shuttle driver pointed out lots of good places to eat and places for my wife to spend money, I must thank him.
I picked this hotel because it offered a Fly and Cruise package and was more centrally located than the other hotels that also offered the package. When I arrived the lady at the desk hadn’t heard of the package and said that they only offered a park and cruise package. I had the confirmation letter that was emailed to me to show that they did offer it when I booked. After discussing the situation with the manager on duty I decided that it was more financially beneficial to me to pay the sixteen dollars to the hotel for transit to the port for my wife and I, and then taking a cab on my own to return to the airport than pay $134.39 ($119 +tax) for the package. By doing it this way it will cost me $108 with tax including a $25 cab ride. I just have to fight the other passengers for a cab now.
The hotel is located in an area that has lots of dining choices within a ½ hour walk. Unfortunately Tampa is not a pedestrian friendly place. Terrible sidewalks if there are any, next to no cross walks and the hotel is not very close to most shopping, here the car is king. My wife and I did walk everywhere we could but the saving grace is the bus service is cheap and close to the hotel. An unlimited day pass is $3.75. I was able to get a transit map and timetable at Westshore plaza. I tried to not rent a car but it would have been much more convenient if I had. If I come back I will rent a car.
There are two grocery stores very close to the hotel but they are very expensive. The recession definitely didn’t hit this area. The Fresh Market (I guess it is like a Whole Foods) next door to the hotel actually had an organic gallon of milk for $16. I would like to see what kind of cow makes $16 milk. The Publix across the busy road was a little better but not much. A dozen cans of coke were on sale for four dollars. Where I am from I pay five for two dozen on sale and I thought I was being over charged.
All in all it is an acceptable place to stay before a cruise or if you are looking for reasonable accommodations in an expensive town.

Room Tip: All rooms would suffer from the noise of the busy street.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We decided to try another location for a overnight stay for a game at Raymond James Stadium, and even though it is about 3 miles away, we elected to try this motor inn,

On entering the driveway it was obvious that this property is well cared for. Check-in was fast and very friendly, and the location is in a better section of Dale Mabry than we thought it would be. The room was well equipped with a fridge, the normal basics, a good high-speed connection and convenience to the lobby and parking lot. Both parking and internet are free. The free breakfast was also better than usual for a motor inn like this.

The motor inn design leads to some outside noise, but we slept very well. If you do not like your front door leading to the outside, places like this are not for you. I kind of like it. The rooms were very clean, and the beds were comfortable

For a game at Raymond James Stadium you could pick a more convenient location, but for an inexpensive motel...this place is very hard to beat.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Pathfork, Kentucky, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed here overnight the day before departing on a cruise. Has Airport shuttle and shuttle to the Port of Tampa. Staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is one great hotel. From the time we got picked up to the time we got dropped off at the Port of Tampa for our cruise we had a great experience staying at this hotel. Not only was it within walking distance to restaurants, grocery stores and pharmacies. They offered a free shuttle service to/from TPA airport. They also take you to the port of Tampa if you are going on a cruise at a fee of only 8.00 per person, which is far cheaper then what Carnival was offering for there shuttle service. They have free newspapers even on Sundays, internet with a printer, faxing service and a wonderful contenantial breakfest with so much to choose from. Everyone we came in contact with was so friendly from the shuttle driver, the front desk clerks, the maids to the breakfest bar hostess. We very much enjoyed this Quality Inn. it was a very great value for what we got.and then some. If we ever go back to Tampa they'll get our business.

Room Tip: Offers Port of Tampa Shuttle service at a great price.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

This place is not the Waldorf Astoria, so please do not expect that. It is, however, a clean and comfortable place to stay. We booked a room on a Saturday night, as we were departing on a Carnival cruise Sunday morning. We arrived at the Tampa airport and called for the free shuttle, and it promptly arrived to pick us up (we did have some trouble finding the Red pickup area at the airport due to some confusing signs). Upon arrival at the hotel, the desk clerk, a British student here for college, was very pleasant and made sure we knew what was close by. The rooms are a bit dated, but ours was clean. A Publix supermarket was a short walk away, so we were able to grab some sodas for the cruise, plus some tasty sandwiches for dinner that night. There is a Catholic church just across the street, where we were able to attend 7:30 AM mass prior to leaving for the cruise. After mass, the breakfast area was very crowded, and our friendly British student was frantically trying to keep up with maintaining stock in all of the food areas. It was a decent breakfast with fresh made waffles, and there were even complimentary Sunday newspapers. The shuttle to the cruise terminal took us right up to where porters unloaded our suitcases, so we never touched our bags once we left the hotel. Due to an early flight on our return, we could not take advantage of the hotel shuttle to get us back to the airport, so we took a cab instead. To sum up, this is a decent place to stay if you are arriving in Tampa the night before a cruise, as it is a good value. Would definitely stay here again if we decide to cruise again out of Tampa.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

The hotel was acceptable and convenient but if you are stay to get your "free night" in their current promotion, don't bother. Read the fine print. You do not receive your points for 72 hours after your 2nd stay. Then you only receive 8000 points total. This hotel takes 16000 point to stay at as do most of the hotels anyone would want to stay at.
After 3 conversations with Choice Privilege customer service representatives I'm getting out of this program.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Ballston Lake, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

we spent 11 days travelling to cruise terminal, aqauarium, Yannkee spring training, airport and great restaurants . Owner manager on site daily, staff of the hightest caliber and accomodating. Great pool and fitness center. would recommend to any traveler.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn Airport? Share your experiences!