“Low Price for sure...but not the Ritz!” 2 of 5 stars

Best Economy Inn
1701 E. Busch Blvd., Tampa, FL 33612 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #133 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Low Price for sure...but not the Ritz!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

Well when you drive in it looks kinda bad. The hotel name has been taken off above the roof. Purposely or?? Anyway it was just one night and I didnt pay much. When I entered the room it was better. Beds were nice. Internet worked fine. Those 2 are important to me. Air also worked fine. Problems the toilet was always readjusting making some noice, the table was in a place with no plug (for computer ) and no light source. I tried to move it but it weighed a ton. No plug by bed either easily reachable but if you pull the bed out you can get a plug behind bed. I didnt want to walk on carpet with no shoes. There was a big sign in front offering $29 rooms...and this was high season! The breakfast was very basic. Vending machines and ice were avail.
I wouldnt call it one of the better Econolodges, but if you only pay $29 you have to be the one to decide if its worth it. I tried another cheap hotel and it wasnt any better.This one is right off 275 with easy entry and exit. So shop around...prices vary with season.
Weather was horrible all my time there, rain, clouds, storms...and with the economy bad I saw weekly signs at decent looking places for like $159 a week. So there are options to be had unless something major is going on.

If all you want is a cheap room, a clean decent bed, and a clean shower and towels this place would be ok. Its not a place you want to lounge around in though.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cape Girardeau, Mo.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

My Teenagers and I had a pleasant stay in a large spacious room that was very clean and had the pleasant odor of cleaniness with a hint of perfume/cologne. We were able to stay cool with the aid of the well functioning air conditioner. We enjoyed the large clean swimming pool and the free continental breakfast.

The staff was extremely friendly, professional and very accommodating to our needs and requests for extra linens or towels and giving directions to various places. We were very close to shopping centers, stores, restaurants, Busch Gardens and other places of entertainment.

I would recommend this hotel to others that are needing the bare necessities of a no frills hotel at affordable rates that be acquired at online hotel websites.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Let me disclose here that I am usually a big fan of the Choice Hotels group, as they usually offer very good value for money, but if this was the first Choice Hotel I had ever stayed at, I doubt I would ever have used the group again. This particular Econo Lodge tarnishes their reputation. I will however continue to use other Choice Hotel establishments.

The biggest negatives are the general condition of the building. It oozes neglect and decay. The other negative is the location; really tatty and undesirable. There is an old disused train restaurant comprised of railroad cars covered with a grubby shed type structure directly opposite the parking area. It may have been great in the past, but now it's all in a terribly neglected state. There has just been no attempt at all to make anything about this hotel presentable.

Regarding the rooms: I'm not prone to exaggeration so I'm not going to say that there was an inch of dirt on the floors or anything like that, let's just say that it left little to be desired and was dark and dingy - even with all the lights on! Shower and bed were OK but the overall feel of the place overshadowed any acceptable points it may have had.

It was quite a drive to find a halfway decent restaurant. I usually walk to a restaurant from my hotel and tried from this location, but gave up after 15 minutes as it was obvious that the neighborhood and busy road were not exactly conducive to a pleasant evening walk.

Having stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world, this has to rate as one of the least memorable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Freeport, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

These are among some of the worst reviews Ive ever read about a hotel! I didnt have as bad an experience. Yes, when we drove in, the place did look old and run down. But, it was too late to cancel without penalty, so we forged ahead. The desk clerk was a delightful young woman who was so pleasant and willing to help. The room was old, and very basic, but as clean as it could be, given the age. (There are no hairdryers or alarm clocks) The AC was a bit loud, but it worked well. The mattresses were too soft for my taste. The continental breakfast was better than I expected. Coffee, tea, muffins, danish, juice, bagels. Again at the checkout, a different very pleasant woman. Cleaning staff was polite and friendly too. All and all, it really wasnt all that bad!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Our first night in Florida after a late flight, and not knowing the area, we just entered 'nearest hotel' into our GPS after driving around a bit. We're not averse to staying in budget hotels, so by appearance this one looked pretty good when we drove in. Didn't see anything to concern us at check in, and the room seemed reasonably clean and didn't smell.

Went to bed, and woke up after constantly hearing loud footsteps (high heels?) on the concrete walkway outside the room, and voices all night. Woke up again to hear pounding on the door of the unit next to us, and the cops yelling at someone to come out. Peeked through the door viewer to see a couple of cruisers parked outside for 30 minutes or so, then everything was silent for the rest of the night. After reading the previous reviews, I get the picture. I worried about our brand new rental Maxima parked right in front of our room, but there were no problems.

I must say, being country Candians from a small town, this was an interesting 11 day trip. Florida is a wonderful state, the people were very nice and we will definitely be back. But we learned a lot about checking out an area before you stay at a hotel, a simple drive through with eyes wide open is all you need to do.

• Stayed February 2009
magmicro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Im a college student and have stayed in many cheap hotels/motels before but this dilapidated commode was the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of staying in. I actually can't believe I gave these people my money. To start off describing this mistake of a business establishment, when I pulled into the parking lot I was pretty scared, this little armpit motel is in the heart of the ghetto - ok whatever...its cheap. I had to walk around police tape to check in because one of the guests had driven her car through the pseudo-lobby. The room itself wasnt bad except that fact that the color tv appeared green and the shower knob broke off when i tried to turn it on. The worst part was the next morning instead of courtesy call to remind us of the 11am check out time we get some lady banging on our door like the police. I asked her to give us some time to get our stuff and she replied with "I dont think so!", wow...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NEVER STAY HERE

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. Totally disgusting and smelly. The entire room was damp and moldy. Even the shower made me feel dirty. If this is your only choice- STAY HOME!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everythin
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Best Economy Inn? Share your experiences!