“Not as bad as other reviews here!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Best Economy Inn

Best Economy Inn
You added Best Economy Inn to your Saves list
Best Economy Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1701 E. Busch Blvd., Tampa, FL 33612 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #133 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Freeport, New York
“Not as bad as other reviews here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

These are among some of the worst reviews Ive ever read about a hotel! I didnt have as bad an experience. Yes, when we drove in, the place did look old and run down. But, it was too late to cancel without penalty, so we forged ahead. The desk clerk was a delightful young woman who was so pleasant and willing to help. The room was old, and very basic, but as clean as it could be, given the age. (There are no hairdryers or alarm clocks) The AC was a bit loud, but it worked well. The mattresses were too soft for my taste. The continental breakfast was better than I expected. Coffee, tea, muffins, danish, juice, bagels. Again at the checkout, a different very pleasant woman. Cleaning staff was polite and friendly too. All and all, it really wasnt all that bad!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Our first night in Florida after a late flight, and not knowing the area, we just entered 'nearest hotel' into our GPS after driving around a bit. We're not averse to staying in budget hotels, so by appearance this one looked pretty good when we drove in. Didn't see anything to concern us at check in, and the room seemed reasonably clean and didn't smell.

Went to bed, and woke up after constantly hearing loud footsteps (high heels?) on the concrete walkway outside the room, and voices all night. Woke up again to hear pounding on the door of the unit next to us, and the cops yelling at someone to come out. Peeked through the door viewer to see a couple of cruisers parked outside for 30 minutes or so, then everything was silent for the rest of the night. After reading the previous reviews, I get the picture. I worried about our brand new rental Maxima parked right in front of our room, but there were no problems.

I must say, being country Candians from a small town, this was an interesting 11 day trip. Florida is a wonderful state, the people were very nice and we will definitely be back. But we learned a lot about checking out an area before you stay at a hotel, a simple drive through with eyes wide open is all you need to do.

• Stayed February 2009
magmicro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Im a college student and have stayed in many cheap hotels/motels before but this dilapidated commode was the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of staying in. I actually can't believe I gave these people my money. To start off describing this mistake of a business establishment, when I pulled into the parking lot I was pretty scared, this little armpit motel is in the heart of the ghetto - ok whatever...its cheap. I had to walk around police tape to check in because one of the guests had driven her car through the pseudo-lobby. The room itself wasnt bad except that fact that the color tv appeared green and the shower knob broke off when i tried to turn it on. The worst part was the next morning instead of courtesy call to remind us of the 11am check out time we get some lady banging on our door like the police. I asked her to give us some time to get our stuff and she replied with "I dont think so!", wow...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NEVER STAY HERE

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. Totally disgusting and smelly. The entire room was damp and moldy. Even the shower made me feel dirty. If this is your only choice- STAY HOME!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everythin
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
andrealabby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

We were so disgusted at the condition of the hotel and at the other people who were staying there, as others have mentioned, drug deals, etc. The crib we requested had mold on it and the pain was chipping off. The manager's little girl (about 5) was in the lobby while I was checking in and asked me for spare change. Our feet were black from walking on the carpet and the bathrooms had at least an inch of dust on the floor in the corners. The toilet seat was filthy and the free shampoo was an old bottle that they apparently refill. We were able to find a much nicer hotel in a better neighborhood and closer to Busch Gardens for $10.00 more per night and it was clean and bigger. The staff was much nicer and needless to say, it was worth the extra fifty dollars.

• Liked — They refunded our money, we didn't stay one night.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

My God, what a bad experience. From the minute you get close to this hotel I got bad feelings. This hotel is in a very bad condition, So dirty. Discuting. We had three rooms reserved at this hotel and jsut to give it a chance we did the check in but we were all scared. The minute we entered the rooms we wanted to leave. In my room there was a mark on the window that looked like a bullet hit it. My kids and nephews were very nervous and scared. My kids were crying. We felt very scared there, so we went and the three families and did the check out. We were very pleased to leave that place. We went to the Hotel La Quinta and really felt save there. Thank God they had 3 rooms available.

• Liked — nothing at all
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

This hotel was booked as a "Choice Hotel" "Privilege Rewards". This place might be great if you need to "disappear', go underground, evade someone, or plot something. Careful if you might need to make contact with someone in the outside world. Emergency messages cannot be conveyed to booked guests according to Yvonne at the front desk. She can be comforted that her job is safe based on Choicehotels.com "Rhonda" "Bonnie" or "Chuck S*" who have all come to her rescue . . .to save the booking and their commission, of course. Get this, they stated that "privacy laws" prevent a guest from receiving an emergency message, such as "phone home," unless the "guest has previously indicated that he/she is expecting an emergency call from the number calling." Who expects an emergency call? I was told, instead, to contact the Tampa police. I did. The Tampa police sent an officer to do what calls and emails did not. They confirmed that the hotel and the booking partner are off-- there is no privacy law that prevents what was trying to be accomplished. Bless their souls. Book elsewhere.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Best Economy Inn? Share your experiences!