“Dont Even Think About It” 1 of 5 stars

Best Economy Inn
1701 E. Busch Blvd., Tampa, FL 33612 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #133 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
magmicro
“Dont Even Think About It”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Im a college student and have stayed in many cheap hotels/motels before but this dilapidated commode was the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of staying in. I actually can't believe I gave these people my money. To start off describing this mistake of a business establishment, when I pulled into the parking lot I was pretty scared, this little armpit motel is in the heart of the ghetto - ok whatever...its cheap. I had to walk around police tape to check in because one of the guests had driven her car through the pseudo-lobby. The room itself wasnt bad except that fact that the color tv appeared green and the shower knob broke off when i tried to turn it on. The worst part was the next morning instead of courtesy call to remind us of the 11am check out time we get some lady banging on our door like the police. I asked her to give us some time to get our stuff and she replied with "I dont think so!", wow...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NEVER STAY HERE

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. Totally disgusting and smelly. The entire room was damp and moldy. Even the shower made me feel dirty. If this is your only choice- STAY HOME!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everythin
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
andrealabby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

We were so disgusted at the condition of the hotel and at the other people who were staying there, as others have mentioned, drug deals, etc. The crib we requested had mold on it and the pain was chipping off. The manager's little girl (about 5) was in the lobby while I was checking in and asked me for spare change. Our feet were black from walking on the carpet and the bathrooms had at least an inch of dust on the floor in the corners. The toilet seat was filthy and the free shampoo was an old bottle that they apparently refill. We were able to find a much nicer hotel in a better neighborhood and closer to Busch Gardens for $10.00 more per night and it was clean and bigger. The staff was much nicer and needless to say, it was worth the extra fifty dollars.

• Liked — They refunded our money, we didn't stay one night.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

My God, what a bad experience. From the minute you get close to this hotel I got bad feelings. This hotel is in a very bad condition, So dirty. Discuting. We had three rooms reserved at this hotel and jsut to give it a chance we did the check in but we were all scared. The minute we entered the rooms we wanted to leave. In my room there was a mark on the window that looked like a bullet hit it. My kids and nephews were very nervous and scared. My kids were crying. We felt very scared there, so we went and the three families and did the check out. We were very pleased to leave that place. We went to the Hotel La Quinta and really felt save there. Thank God they had 3 rooms available.

• Liked — nothing at all
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

This hotel was booked as a "Choice Hotel" "Privilege Rewards". This place might be great if you need to "disappear', go underground, evade someone, or plot something. Careful if you might need to make contact with someone in the outside world. Emergency messages cannot be conveyed to booked guests according to Yvonne at the front desk. She can be comforted that her job is safe based on Choicehotels.com "Rhonda" "Bonnie" or "Chuck S*" who have all come to her rescue . . .to save the booking and their commission, of course. Get this, they stated that "privacy laws" prevent a guest from receiving an emergency message, such as "phone home," unless the "guest has previously indicated that he/she is expecting an emergency call from the number calling." Who expects an emergency call? I was told, instead, to contact the Tampa police. I did. The Tampa police sent an officer to do what calls and emails did not. They confirmed that the hotel and the booking partner are off-- there is no privacy law that prevents what was trying to be accomplished. Bless their souls. Book elsewhere.

Stayed April 2008
Auburn, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

I stayed at the Econo Lodge at Busch Gardens,Tampa,FL while getting my son settled in Tampa U. I stayed 3 nights which I talked to the desk person the first morning and aske if I could cancel the last 2 nights and was told no. The carpets are filthy white socks were black after walking in the room the first night. The dresser finih on the bottom corners looked like animals had relieved themselves. The exterior was very dark at night , aliitl nervous with some of the people hanging around area. Just not a very clean or comfotable feeling.

• Stayed January 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

Ok, so my cousin booked this hotel online because the price was great and it was so close to Busch Gardens. Well you get what you pay for. We had a evening flight but due to the weather back home in Chicago we took off about an hour behind schedule, then when we got to tampa and had to wait about 2 hours just to get our rental car, but anyways by the time we got the car and got to the area around the hotel it was about 1am, now driving around we were joking about how ghetto it was and how we felt like we were back home driving thru the west side or south side of Chicago and how the hotel can not be in this area, turns out it was! fantastic. we checked in thru a window because the door was locked at that hour, also when we got our room, my boyfriend and i couldnt close the door, it had a horrible mold smell, I went next door to my cousins room and her room was fine, no smell the door closed, so we went to the front window and asked for a different room, well he gave us a room all the way around the corner at the back of the hotel, it was kinda scary, I was constantly checking the door to make sure it was locked and being so far away from family I was nervous about them too, but we made it thru the night, the next day we got up early and I opened my door to see our neighbors, to the left of us was a room with a couple about 3 kids in one room, then the other side had a rasta looking guy smoking a joint on the balcony. We knew we wouldn’t be spending much time in the room so we weren’t too concerned but I was worried about leaving our stuff in the room when we left. I hid anything personal and expensive and we bought are lap top with us anytime we left.

We didn’t have any issues, the neighborhood is just bad, and the people hanging around make you a little nervous but we didn’t have any problems. Like I said before you get what you pay for. I wouldn’t stay there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Close to Theme Park
  • Disliked — The area
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Best Economy Inn? Share your experiences!